Vital info before entering a Carwash

Marcel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Woodworker
Does it stay engaged if you shift to neutral? In my current car, auto-hold disengages as soon as you shift out of drive.
When the car is parked and start again it is in neutral and auto-hold is always on. First time in the carwash i was unpleasantly surprised when the roller pushed it's way underneath the left front wheel....:oops:
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Like many here, we don't use automatic car washes so it won't affect us. We just use the manual ones where we pull in, park, and manually use the spray wand.

At first those instructions looked complicated, but on 2nd reading it's only one extra step (hitting L after putting it in N), and that message appears on the screen anyway so it's hard to miss.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
When the car is parked and start again it is in neutral and auto-hold is always on. First time in the carwash i was unpleasantly surprised when the roller push it's way underneath the left front wheel....:oops:
My guess would be that after putting it in N and confirming it by pressing L, that puts it in true rolling mode (i.e. temporarily deactivating autohold). Seems to be a purposeful function explicitly intended to let the car roll, so I would think they'd automatically deactivate anything that conflicted with that.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
The car wash I use has a “hand wash” option. Your car doesn’t go through the tunnel. Instead, they take it to a dedicated bay and wash it by hand. Not sure of the details, but I believe they still use a high pressure wand and hit the undercarriage (that’s a concern because they do treat our roads in the winter when the weather calls for snow). I’ll be upgrading to that.

Ponypower50

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 CMax, 2021 Rapid Red Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I personally would not expect a car wash attendant to know the proper procedures. I am also concerned with the 5.5 inch height of the car. No automatic car washes for me.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
I'm the same way but they keep building new Car Washes around us like 2 or 3 a year and we're a small city! A lot of people must use them.
Maybe those are all Breaking-Bad style money laundering operations ;)

Yeah, auto car washes put infinite swirl marks in, and badly dulled the shine on my last car. Never again.

ay221

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 718 Cayman GTS
Country flag
I will probably wash this car the same way I do with my Porsche. It prevents swirls from forming. I use a power sprayer but not a powerful one.

I use the foam cannon on it first. get it all over with pressure. Let that sit for 5 minutes or so while I fill two buckets. One with soap (that doesn't have wax and junk in it). the other with water.

I rinse off the cannon soap all over. Then using a microfiber fluffy wash mitt I soak that in the soap and go over a section of the car. Not in circles but left to right or right to left. I then rise it off in the water bucket against the grit guard at the bottom to remove any dirt. then the same one the soapy bucket.

I also change out the mitt like 3 or 4 times to a clean one as I go over every section. I do a wash off and then wash the wheels.

I don't use wax but a touchless sealant and you just spray on and wash off with the water jet.

for drying I use a master blaster warm air dryer. then for door jams and such I use a microfiber waffle weave towel.

Going to do that today. About 1.5 hours max to wash, dry and vacuum.

Oh not for this car, but a mache. I have a special undercarriage tool attachment to pressure wash the bottom from winter junk.

Oh, I use a special water filter to remove the minerals to avoid water spots.

Last edited:

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Wow, given how dirty things are around here my Mach-E will likely see a car wash once a week or so.

In addition, just to freak out the "no car wash for me" people: Here is video of my Bolt going through a car wash ;) (In fact, I saw a Mach-E on the way to this car wash this morning...it wasn't at the car wash, however, and was too far away to see if it had an M-plate on it. And no, I did not specifically run out to the car wash just for this thread; its a coincidence ;) )

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
anyone use automatic no-touch ("Laserwash") car washes? The few times I have, I've never been thrilled with their results.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I will probably wash this car the same way I do with my Porsche. It prevents swirls from forming. I use a power sprayer but not a powerful one.

I use the foam cannon on it first. get it all over with pressure. Let that sit for 5 minutes or so while I fill two buckets. One with soap (that doesn't have wax and junk in it). the other with water.

I rinse off the cannon soap all over. Then using a microfiber fluffy wash mitt I soak that in the soap and go over a section of the car. Not in circles but left to right or right to left. I then rise it off in the water bucket against the grit guard at the bottom to remove any dirt. then the same one the soapy bucket.

I also change out the mitt like 3 or 4 times to a clean one as I go over every section. I do a wash off and then wash the wheels.

I don't use wax but a touchless sealant and you just spray on and wash off with the water jet.

for drying I use a master blaster warm air dryer. then for door jams and such I use a microfiber waffle weave towel.

Going to do that today. About 1.5 hours max to wash, dry and vacuum.

Oh not for this car, but a mache. I have a special undercarriage tool attachment to pressure wash the bottom from winter junk.

Oh, I use a special water filter to remove the minerals to avoid water spots.
That's WAY more effort than I'll go through. I wash my car maybe 3-4 times a year. ☺

I'll do it more often on the Mach-E... until the newness wears off and it's just basic transportation again.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
At first those instructions looked complicated,
My sentiment as well. It's just a matter of getting used to a new and different vehicle.

Mine still isn't going to a car wash though. :)

RedStormREHS

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Camry Hybrid / Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Health Inspector
Country flag
I just hope Ford build us a tight vehicle without any water leaks under the dash, doors, glass roof, etc.! Or... allow water/mud to collect inside panels!

Mike16

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER Star White
Country flag
That’s why I plan to put a PPF on the entire car, then less worrying about the paint.
Sponsored