JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Not very intuitive is it. Neutral doesn't mean neutral unless you take a second step. All my other cars didn't work this way.
Just for clarity here: You only need to do this if you are turning off the car. The procedure is used to leave it in neutral when "off".

For riding in the car through the car wash simply putting the car in N and leaving it "running" is what you would do--just like any other car.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Vital info before entering a Carwash 1611543598260
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Does that mean if I open my door while driving it put it to P? ?
Probably not while the car is actually moving. But I believe I heard it does that when stopped (which is usually when a door would open).

With everything being electronic, it's much easier to program in the logical "if-then" actions.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Does that mean if I open my door while driving it put it to P? ?
It probably locks the doors while the car is moving. That's a fairly standard safety feature for new cars for the last couple of decades.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Since the phone is the key, what will happen when you leave the vehicle? Will it turn off, lock, and go into park when it goes into the tunnel? I currently toss my key fob into a dash cubby to be sure the car wash people don’t have problems.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Since the phone is the key, what will happen when you leave the vehicle? Will it turn off, lock, and go into park when it goes into the tunnel? I currently toss my key fob into a dash cubby to be sure the car wash people don’t have problems.
That is the whole point of the the N-L procedure: You turn the car "off" and leave it in N thus you don't need your phone as key in the car because it is "off".

Awmustang

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Ecoboost Performance Pack, Ordered 24 i4 xDrive
Country flag
There are a lot and i mean A LOT of modern cars that automatically shift the car into park if you open the door. This isn't new. If you are going to a reputable car wash where it is common practice for you not to ride through the car wash they are very aware of the tricks needed to make sure the car stays in neutral. First time I took the Edge ST there I was certain I'd have to explain the whole select N then press S procedure (it's S in the ST instead of L but button is in the same place). But as soon as I started he was like, don't worry we know how this works, have to deal with it all the time and that was almost 2 years ago!

balthisar

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Expedition; 2021 Mach E Premium AWD Extended
Occupation
Engineer@FoMoCo
Country flag
Don't forget about automatic brake hold, which I'm assuming the Mach E will have like other Fords. That's the feature that lets you take your foot off the brake at stoplights without the car creeping Forward. Switching to neutral doesn't automatically cancel this in my Explorer, I learned last time I went through a car wash.