First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
That is to 62 mph.

In the 1st edition reservation page it says.
"0-60 mph acceleration in 7.8s"

Doesn't say that for the other model, but specifics are not known.

Most if not all models have 20" wheels, very short turn radius. Good Leaf or Bolt alternative, needs a longer range model.
Does that suggest it takes 0.7s to go from 60-62?
Sponsored

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
That is to 62 mph.

In the 1st edition reservation page it says.
"0-60 mph acceleration in 7.8s"

Doesn't say that for the other model, but specifics are not known.

Most if not all models have 20" wheels, very short turn radius. Good Leaf or Bolt alternative, needs a longer range model.
comes with 19-inch wheels, but yes option for 20-inch wheels. How much range will be lost?
7.8 or 8.5 the ID4 is not made for fast take off. VW doesnt want to compare the ID4 to tesla model y or ford mache. That is not the competition they are after.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
comes with 19-inch wheels, but yes option for 20-inch wheels. How much range will be lost?
7.8 or 8.5 the ID4 is not made for fast take off. VW doesnt want to compare the ID4 to tesla model y or ford mache. That is not the competition they are after.
Agreed - it is more competetive with the Kona and bolt. IMHO it exceeds both of those

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I may have this all wrong, but do larger wheels act sort of like a lower gear ratio? That would hurt acceleration and power, but perhaps improve cruising efficiency?

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
I may have this all wrong, but do larger wheels act sort of like a lower gear ratio? That would hurt acceleration and power, but perhaps improve cruising efficiency?
larger the wheel, less range, and less comfort of a ride. But yes if your travel is long less stop the loss is not as much.

Although it was executed for an internal combustion vehicle, a revealing test was conducted back in 2010 by Car and Driver which demonstrated the effects of changing wheel size on a Volkswagen Golf. They tested nearly identical Goodyear Eagle GT tires (from 15 to 19 inches) and analyzed fuel economy variance. What they discovered was that the difference in fuel economy from 15-inch to 19-inch wheels was about 10%.

• 19”: 21.1 MPG
  • 18”: 21.9 MPG
  • 17”: 22.8 MPG
  • 16”: 22.9 MPG
  • 15”: 23.3 MPG

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Given that electric motors have high torque, I would expect larger wheels to help acceleration in an EV as one revolution would go a larger distance, although that is assuming they don't change the gearing, and torque is not the limiting factor.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Given that electric motors have high torque, I would expect larger wheels to help acceleration in an EV as one revolution would go a larger distance, although that is assuming they don't change the gearing, and torque is not the limiting factor.
High torque relative to ICE, but it still maxes out (thus producing different 0-60 times when maxed). So anything that lowers the drive ratio, or creates more weight or drag, has to slow that resulting acceleration, right?

And I should clarify... when I say a larger wheel, I assume that means larger circumference tire too.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
larger the wheel, less range, and less comfort of a ride. But yes if your travel is long less stop the loss is not as much.

Although it was executed for an internal combustion vehicle, a revealing test was conducted back in 2010 by Car and Driver which demonstrated the effects of changing wheel size on a Volkswagen Golf. They tested nearly identical Goodyear Eagle GT tires (from 15 to 19 inches) and analyzed fuel economy variance. What they discovered was that the difference in fuel economy from 15-inch to 19-inch wheels was about 10%.

• 19”: 21.1 MPG
  • 18”: 21.9 MPG
  • 17”: 22.8 MPG
  • 16”: 22.9 MPG
  • 15”: 23.3 MPG
MPG at what speed though? That was my real question -- Might a larger circumference tire actually help high speed cruising efficiency a little (even if it hurts lower speed and acceleration)?

Not that I'd plan on changing wheels/tires just for a road trip, of course, but it's more of a curiosity.

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Larger wheels don't change the diameter of the tire, so the rpm of 18, 20, 22 inch tires for a given car is the same.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Agreed - it is more competetive with the Kona and bolt. IMHO it exceeds both of those
It should. It's a lot newer.
Sponsored