Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Did you notice that they do not mention how powerful their DC fast charging will be? Will these be more "amenity" level, 50 kw installations or more powerful 150 kw or better installations? We need more of the later than we do the former. Many of us can get similar levels of charging at home with our 32, 40 or 48 kw chargers to the 50 kw chargers.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Did you notice that they do not mention how powerful their DC fast charging will be? Will these be more "amenity" level, 50 kw installations or more powerful 150 kw or better installations? We need more of the later than we do the former. Many of us can get similar levels of charging at home with our 32, 40 or 48 kw chargers to the 50 kw chargers.
I looked them up. Volta has L2 and 50kw dc fast chargers. These are meant to be more for local use while you're out shopping, and not so much for people on road trips.

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
The fastest L2 home charger, 48amps, is only 11.5kw. 50kw is still much faster.

MachEGTPilot

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F350 DRW, 2020 Escape Hybrid, 2021 MachE GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The Volta charger at our Kohls is more like level 1 charging....... added 1%, 4 miles, in 17 minutes the other day....

I think I saw an extension cord running across the parking lot to the charger........

Cherlin

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Focus RS , Premium EX4, 22' M3 SR+, R1T Order
Occupation
Electric Utilities - Management
Country flag
In what world is 10KW charging similar to 50KW? I would like 150KW Stations, but 50KW is excellent for a station at a place your running errands. 150KW+ is most useful off interstates, 50KW is just fine in towns. If I can charge at 50KW while picking up my prescription that's excellent!

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
I looked them up. Volta has L2 and 50kw dc fast chargers. These are meant to be more for local use while you're out shopping, and not so much for people on road trips.
I'm of two minds. 1) 50kw while I'm shopping is fine - If I spend 20 minutes in Walgreens, that could probably be 50 miles of range added. Nice!

However, 2) when I need Walgreens, I almost certainly don't need a charge, and when I need a charge, I don't need a Walgreens. In my mind, the places that we should be adding DCFC stations is near highways where there are restaurants. Because when I need a charge, I will likely also need a potty break or food. Those two things are aligned.

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
I think you are mixing Amps with kWs. No one has a 50 kW charger at home. That would be around 200 Amps.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
I didn't read the link....sorry. Are these going to be free or need an account/app?

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
They obviously want you to park in the mulch. ? :rolleyes:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Volta and Walgreens announcing DCFC at 500 locations 1644865803370
I though the same thing but then noticed there actually is a parking space in front of it, you can see the curb, now if this would reach the back of your car, that’s another question.

From my reading it seems Volta is primarily in the advertising business, they just use the chargers as billboards

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I'm of two minds. 1) 50kw while I'm shopping is fine - If I spend 20 minutes in Walgreens, that could probably be 50 miles of range added. Nice!

However, 2) when I need Walgreens, I almost certainly don't need a charge, and when I need a charge, I don't need a Walgreens. In my mind, the places that we should be adding DCFC stations is near highways where there are restaurants. Because when I need a charge, I will likely also need a potty break or food. Those two things are aligned.
Yep, Buc-ees and Wawa

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Every little bit helps. 50kW chargers at 500 Walgreens around the country would be great. But I highly doubt a 50kW charger would be free.
Sponsored