Stephan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD ER space white Mini Countryman S
Occupation
head of finance department
Country flag
No heads-up display in the North American model. All options are pretty much the same as in any vehicle in most segments. AKA heated seats aka heated steering wheel.

More range with the Mache
Faster 0 to 60
Mache has a frunk.
Larger display screen.
Better sound system? This is one we are waiting for on December 15th.
One more color option 7 vs 6.
DC charging is 125 vs 150 I think also?
Sure there are more differences anyone else have any more?
Higher top Speed for the Mache, may not be that important in the US / Canada but sure is over here in Germany.
Sponsored

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
display canting is fine on the mache, not a problem. and it is not (something missing) screen is there in both.
As far as things missing. Not really any I can see besides the frunk. The manufacturers are always going to make options very close to vehicles in the same segment. nothing new there.

Again the way they drive and handle the road will come out soon. The id4 is nothing special or heads above just gets the job done.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Higher top Speed for the Mache, may not be that important in the US / Canada but sure is over here in Germany.
It depends on the person what top speed is important here in US.
To me, anything over 149MPH is not too important (tires rated above 149 get expensive, not saying it's a negative but not really a plus that high end), and anything below 95 is a negative. Between that it's a moderate factor for consideration...
The Mach E top speed is 124 MPH. Not great (149 or above), but better than the ID.4.
The ID.4 top speed is 99.4 MPH. Generally any faster and you can't stay legal without being on a private track in the US, so seldom an issue... (Highest speed limit in the US is 85 MPH).

My wife would be perfectly happy with a top speed of 99.4 MPH (although not the 0-60 time of the ID.4).

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
fact. VW has said that the ID4 is not a comparison to the mache and model y.
Whether VW markets it that way or not won't change people's decision to compare them. I for one considered the ID.4 for a day.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
A Ford Mustang and a VW Golf both have combustion engines. Does that make them direct competitors?

Obviously that comparison is flawed because they both aren't compact SUVs. It does, however, illustrate that just being "electric" doesn't make them comparable.

That leaves comparing a 300 hp performance oriented compact SUV with a 150 hp family hauler compact SUV.

For me because each has features that I like better than the other.
Like what? Don't get the features idea. Seems like the ID4 is a lesser vehicle at a cheaper price. No?

mattbostonmache

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
Country flag
Does the ID4 have all of these functions?
Ford Mustang Mach-E VW ID.4 Unveiled Today 1606672953414
I have orders in for the Mach E and ID4.

The biggest thing that gives me pause about the Mach E is the lack of a 2" hitch option. The ID4 has it standard. I use a hitch mounted bike rack for my triathlon, road, and mountain bikes. This is really important to me (and many others judging by forum comments and looking at how my friends transport their bikes).

Ford Mustang Mach-E VW ID.4 Unveiled Today DDEF3731-AD3C-43E0-B031-689F7A262F56

Colors. The ID4 is terrible. They only have colorless colors.

Ford Mustang Mach-E VW ID.4 Unveiled Today BE4B7CE6-2536-4767-AA9D-F87352D4131D

There are things I like about both cars...

Things that only the Mach E has:
  • Software on the center tablet that is smooth, fluid, and fast.
  • The amazing, awesome elatch.
  • Combination to open the car
  • Combination to start the car
  • Laminated windshield
  • Laminated front windows
  • Hands free driving (on limited roads, 2021Q3)
  • 150 kw charging
  • More power/faster acceleration (not high on my priorities)
  • bigger battery

Things only the ID4 has:
  • Tow hitch
  • Heated windshield (available in America!!)
  • Adaptive front lights —"Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS) and All-weather lights with Low-speed cornering lights"
  • A more intuitive gear selector
  • 12 way power adjustable seats — "8-way power-adjustable front seats with memory and 4-way power lumbar with massage function"
  • Comes with 5 years car remote access. Did I see that the Mach E only has 3 somewhere?

The tow hitch and adaptive headlights are two huge plusses on the id4 for me.

The doors and the software on the center console are big plusses for the Mach E.

If Ford doesn't have a native tow hitch option, that might be enough for me to bail. I've been assuming that since it's an option Europe, we'd get it in the US (even if it's not for towing).

The Model Y has a tow hitch too.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
ID.4 can be factory configured to tow up to 2,700 lbs.

Mach-E has PaaK and keypad entry and start.

The warranties are different. Same high voltage battery coverage, but VW has 4 years 50k limited bumper to bumper while Ford has 3/36, but Ford's electric unique components coverage is 8/100.

VW roadside is 3/36 vs Ford 5/60.

MME seems to provide a little bit more of the premium content like HomeLink, and 360-surround view while parking, but both cars seem quite comparable here (based on specs).

MME wheels are same front/back, VW are not same size front/back.

ID.4 is shorter and narrower... easier to park.

ID.4 has more ground clearance.

Too early to compare ride comfort/quality, NVH, driver enjoyment.

Obvious aesthetic differences... No need to compare though, it's a matter of personal taste.

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
Does the ID4 have all of these functions?
Ford Mustang Mach-E VW ID.4 Unveiled Today BE4B7CE6-2536-4767-AA9D-F87352D4131D
Out of all the features on this list, the most valuable one to me is Cross-Traffic Alert. I have two cars with this now and find that I really, really miss it when I'm in a car without it. Hands down this is one of the best new technologies to be added to cars in recent years. I hope the MachE has, or soon will via OTA, have rear cross-traffic breaking as well. That's an add-on I would gladly pay for.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Are these cars head-to-head competitors? No.
Do they overlap in the market? Yes.

The ID.4 looks to me like the best in the utilitarian crossover BEVs. I see it more a competitor with the Bolt and the Kona. I’m impressed with it and think it will do very well, especially once the Tennessee plant gets going and they have more battery options. VW has chosen to rush to market with a limited set of options whereas Ford is bringing a fully stocked lineup.

I really wish the Mustang hat roof rack and tower hitch options - the latter primarily for a bike rack. However I can get that added aftermarket.

If I were just looking for utility to replace my Leaf with a more capable crossover BEV, I’d buy the ID.4. But I’m not. I’m buying a a Mustang. You can’t make an ID.4 into a Mustang with aftermarket parts.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Are these cars head-to-head competitors? No.
Do they overlap in the market? Yes.

The ID.4 looks to me like the best in the utilitarian crossover BEVs. I see it more a competitor with the Bolt and the Kona. I’m impressed with it and think it will do very well, especially once the Tennessee plant gets going and they have more battery options. VW has chosen to rush to market with a limited set of options whereas Ford is bringing a fully stocked lineup.

I really wish the Mustang hat roof rack and tower hitch options - the latter primarily for a bike rack. However I can get that added aftermarket.

If I were just looking for utility to replace my Leaf with a more capable crossover BEV, I’d buy the ID.4. But I’m not. I’m buying a a Mustang. You can’t make an ID.4 into a Mustang with aftermarket parts.
Last line is point on.
Sponsored