VW ID.4 Unveiled Today

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Nobody is acknowledging that value? I think a lot of people have acknowledged that the free charging is a tremendous value for SOME people...even as much as $3000 a year. I would love to have that kind of value, but since Electrify America doesn't exist in my state, the value of the free charging is almost nothing. I won't even be able to use the small amount of free charging that comes with the Mach-E. If the offer included Chargepoint and EVgo stations, I'd be all over the value.
Sponsored

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Why are you saying it will be a problem? Unless you don't want light into the the cabin, it sounds like you are just making inaccurate assumptions that all vehicles have the same rating level for blocking UV and IR (heat) radiation. Even if they all have access to the same technology it doesn't mean they used the same level. Just like you could say the ID.4 has access to the same motors, but it takes it twice as long to get from 0-60 despite weighing less. What references do you have that the glass is the same?

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
☕
here we go.
Well for the price difference you're getting a lot more of a vehicle also. 50 more miles of range on top of that. and it would only be 50,300, not 52,000. You have been here long enough to take advantage of that. So for the (MODEL) your comparing yes 6,300 more for a mache that offers more.
The charging is built into the price. It's not free it's added on into the build. They had to build Electivy America after they got busted in of the biggest auto scandals ever. So yes they need people to use to help with the cost. Why do you think they gave ford such a sweet deal to use the same charging network? They need vehicles using the charging network.

Now, most vehicles are sold to loyal car brand people. As high as 60%. Another 10% are loyal vehicle buyers to American made vehicles only. So that leaves 3 out of 10 buyers for those other brands to try to sway to buy their product. So really not many different buyers swapping brands. Some ICE manufactures will not survive the EV transfer.

Are you also only charging on the DC charger? how many miles a day do you drive?
81% of EV buyers charge at home. So you would be what consider out of the norm.

Also, ford was the first to use the infrared glass tint. Tesla borrowed from them.

Ford Motor Co. becomes first manufacturer to feature PPG's fuel-saving technology

DETROIT, Jan. 11 -- PPG Industries (NYSE:pPG) is helping Ford Motor Co. become the world's first car manufacturer to feature a panoramic glass roof using Sungate infrared reflective (IRR) technology. The fixed-glass roof rejects more than 95 percent of the sun's infrared energy while allowing more than twice the visible light of a conventional glass roof, providing a unique "open air" look to the vehicle. The rejected infrared energy keeps the car interior significantly cooler and contributes to fuel savings when the air conditioner is running.

The tech now is able to keep out 99% of the UV rays and heat. And no it's not the same as tesla again.

now for tesla.
We have written extensively on the issue of factory tint vs aftermarket tint. To sum it up succinctly, factory tint often blocks 0 UVA and UVB rays, while aftermarket tint blocks more than 99% of both. Kudos to Tesla, though, as their factory tinted roof does block UV light. This is a huge benefit for people who do not know that this is an important issue. This brings us to the problem: HEAT. How do I know that Tesla Model 3’s with a glass roof are going to cook inside in the summer? Easy. First of all, rejecting some visible light, as this roof does, does not reject infrared radiation (heat). It will be darker in your Model 3, yes, but it will not be cooler.

loyal.png

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Ford is not screwing anyone over. they are a producer of a product. You are a consumer. There is no forcing you to buy. So no screwing. If the ID4 is good for you and better that is awesome. I'm sure for others it is also. But don't come off ford is doing you wrong for not giving someone mad and pouty about not getting it their way. This is not burger king.

I know if the ID4 was better for me I wouldn't be here about it. Go get it and enjoy best wishes. The rest of us will enjoy our better range.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
For road trips, we take my wife's Pacifica. I'm not saying that free charging would have zero value, but I certainly would get very little value if the only time I can use it is the 1% of the miles I drive outside of my home state. That's my point. Three years of free EA charging has a different value for each person. That might be worth $3000 a year to one person and $20 a year to somebody else.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Perhaps no one is acknowledging it because it has different value to different people. To me the value would be negligible. The nearest EA charger is 60 miles from my house. I may do possibly 2-3 road trips a year where I would use an EA charger. So . . . it is NOT worth thousands to me.

Unless I could get EA to install a charger in my backyard.

If you live close to an EA charger, or are using the car on constant road trips, then maybe it is worth a lot.

As they say, YMMV.
Sponsored