JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Also liked we talked before. The ID4 does have different size tires on the front and rear. Myself, I will be buying a full-size spare for the mache.
Too old and wise to want to sit on the side of the road with a flat when I can change it real quick.
Also, tire rotation and tire wear play a part.
FOR the ID4 you would need both. Just another little tidbit.
I was thinking of getting at least a donut or switch to Run Flats - where were you planning to put the full size spare - just in the back trunk? I don think there is space for a spare in the lower levels for the upper shelf to sit flat.
Sponsored

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The more I read about the ID.4 and the choices made by the engineers, it seems the target market for the ID4 is the first-time EV buyers, or novice EV buyers.

I think experienced EV drivers would balk at some of the choices made to appease first-time buyers.
Such as?

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
I was thinking of getting at least a donut or switch to Run Flats - where were you planning to put the full size spare - just in the back trunk? I don think there is space for a spare in the lower levels for the upper shelf to sit flat.
yes just in the back get a tire bag for it. if would fit in frunk it would go there. A flat tire is no joke. I think we all have been there at the worst times.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The more I read about the ID.4 and the choices made by the engineers, it seems the target market for the ID4 is the first-time EV buyers, or novice EV buyers.

I think experienced EV drivers would balk at some of the choices made to appease first-time buyers.
I don't think it's a target base. I think VW said themselves it is not to go at the tesla model y or mache.
But it is an EV so of course, I agree it will.
Ok, let me explain it like a car racing video game. You will have some cars that are fast and quicker take off but handle not as good. You will have some that handle great but are slower.

The Id4 is built not to be the best any part. Just build even across the board. If 1 through 10 is a rating. and 1 being worst and 10 being best. The ID4 would be 5 or 6 across the board. It's the working mans, family mans EV.

For some people that is what they need or want.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
You are aware of course that the VW ID4 and the Audi Q4 eTron are built on the identical platform.

Would you agree that the Q4 is competition to the MME?
You're misunderstanding what a platform is. If done right, the same platform can be used for an econobox, , a luxury sedan, a luxury SUV, a work truck, or a high-performance sports car. That a work truck and a high performance sports car are built on the same platform doesn't make them comparable.

A vehicle built on the MBE platform could be a direct competitor to the MME but that vehicle isn't the ID4. Hasn't VW said as much?

JTK44

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
You're misunderstanding what a platform is. If done right, the same platform can be used for an econobox, , a luxury sedan, a luxury SUV, a work truck, or a high-performance sports car. That a work truck and a high performance sports car are built on the same platform doesn't make them comparable.

A vehicle built on the MBE platform could be a direct competitor to the MME but that vehicle isn't the ID4. Hasn't VW said as much?
Google "Corporate Twins":

I know this concept is difficult for you to understand, but if you do a little research it should become clear to you.

Some Examples are - of course there are many others:

Chevy Tahoe - GMC Yukon
Ford Taurus - Lincoln MKS
Ford Edge - Lincoln MKX
Chevy Traverse - Buick Enclave
VW Passat - Audi A4
VW Passat - Skoda Superb
Ford Fusion - Lincoln MKZ
Chevy Suburban - GMC Yukon XL

The above cars are basically the same mechanically. The difference is in the interior, sound systems and materials. That is why they are called "Corporate Twins".

.see: https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/twinned-vehicles-same-cars-different-brands.html

Last edited:

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I came across some information regarding adding a hitch to a different vehicle...during the configuration adding the hitch prompted a notification that doing so would require disabling the kick to open rear hatch....I can't remember the car I was fiddling with...and I don't know if the Mach-e in Europe can be configured with kick to open hatch & hitch receiver.
The first Escapes had that problem. Ford solved it by 2016 when I got mine. Have a hitch and the auto open with foot under the tailgate.

JTK44

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
Plus there is a competitive lease presently available for the ID 4!

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
would say the gremlin is closer to the id4. Has 4 wheels and goes from point a to b. That is the break down some people seem to use here.

1606702378119.png
coincidentally, you also couldn't get these wet or fill them with gas after midnight.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
By that argument, there are Ice cars that are around 15,000 new. 25,000 cheaper and can do a lot of what the ID4 can do. So does that make it the best buy?
seems like if we are not going by segments they are in then that would be the same term. So by that meaning, the ID4 is nowhere near the best buy but a waste.

Reactions: DBC

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Google "Corporate Twins":

I know this concept is difficult for you to understand, but if you do a little research it should become clear to you.

Some Examples are - of course there are many others:

Chevy Tahoe - GMC Yukon
Ford Taurus - Lincoln MKS
Ford Edge - Lincoln MKX
Chevy Traverse - Buick Enclave
VW Passat - Audi A4
VW Passat - Skoda Superb
Ford Fusion - Lincoln MKZ
Chevy Suburban - GMC Yukon XL

The above cars are basically the same mechanically. The difference is in the interior, sound systems and materials. That is why they are called "Corporate Twins".

.see: https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/twinned-vehicles-same-cars-different-brands.html
Been going on for years. and will keep going. The difference is the trim and fancy items. Toyota Camry is the same as the Lexus.
The one thing that is nice is about your lincoln brand, Cadillac brand, Lexus brand the repair parts are not that much higher or similar cost to the ford, gm, Toyota brand. If you go with a luxury model Audi jaguar, Mercedes BMW, well the repair cost can get into crazy amounts.
Sponsored