jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Agreed. The Bolt was groundbreaking for 2017, but Chevy didn't anticipate how BEV's need much shorter refresh cycles. I'm concerned that the forthcoming Bolt updates are too little too late; they're keeping the DCFC at 50kw is a tactical blunder. The Bolt's price range puts it in competition with the MME SR RWD, ID.4 and Model 3 SR+, but its spec list is outclassed by far.
Not saying the Bolt is for everyone, but they have did a lot more refreshes on it than the Leaf...

The DCFC isn't an issue if you only charge at home where you can't charge any faster than that even if the car could handle it, and has decent range with 259 mi.

If you go by strictly MSRP then the price isn't so great. However, it's heavily discounted most of the year. They are not lowering the list price, but lots of factory incentives and discounts, ie: instead of $37,000 expect $28,000. Generally I compare MSRP to MSRP, or maybe include tax discount, but Bolt incentives are too high and too often to ignore, and I know a couple of different people with Bolts that are happy with them (and 0 with a Tesla, although I have seen a few on the road, but
they are not that popular in Michigan north of Lansing).

Not saying the Mach E doesn't outclass it, this thread is about the ID.4...
ID.4 Range: 250 ID.4 0-60: 8.5 seconds
Bolt Range: 259 Bolt 0-60: 6.3 seconds
Looks like Bolt outclasses the ID.4.
Sponsored

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Not saying the Bolt is for everyone, but they have did a lot more refreshes on it than the Leaf...

The DCFC isn't an issue if you only charge at home where you can't charge any faster than that even if the car could handle it, and has decent range with 259 mi.

If you go by strictly MSRP then the price isn't so great. However, it's heavily discounted most of the year. They are not lowering the list price, but lots of factory incentives and discounts, ie: instead of $37,000 expect $28,000. Generally I compare MSRP to MSRP, or maybe include tax discount, but Bolt incentives are too high and too often to ignore, and I know a couple of different people with Bolts that are happy with them (and 0 with a Tesla, although I have seen a few on the road, but
they are not that popular in Michigan north of Lansing).

Not saying the Mach E doesn't outclass it, this thread is about the ID.4...
ID.4 Range: 250 ID.4 0-60: 8.5 seconds
Bolt Range: 259 Bolt 0-60: 6.3 seconds
Looks like Bolt outclasses the ID.4.
Yes, but that's the point - they've had to play the incentive/discount game for a long time to get the Bolt off the lots, and with the minor refresh of the 2021's that will continue. I haven't seen the ID.4 in person so I can't say, but I have seen the bolt first hand it it just screams "economy compliance car". No offense to those who love theirs, but the proportions of the nose just screams "econobox". The ID.4 at least looks like a normal SUV.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not seeing how when most people here had admitted they don't plan on taking the Mach E for road trips where they would use fast charging more than a couple of times a year. The Bolt market is more for a stay near home, so fast charging doesn't matter for most if they are only wanting to drive an hour in one direction and back in the same day. Fast charging is only a concern for those few needing frequent travel or road trips.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Not seeing how when most people here had admitted they don't plan on taking the Mach E for road trips where they would use fast charging more than a couple of times a year. The Bolt market is more for a stay near home, so fast charging doesn't matter for most if they are only wanting to drive an hour in one direction and back in the same day. Fast charging is only a concern for those few needing frequent travel or road trips.
I'm not sure how you can make that assertion; clearly some people are single or at least have a single car. Regardless, The range with the RWD ID.4 is a wash (given how inaccurate EPA ratings are anyway), but someone shopping both vehicles are going to notice the big difference in DC charging - whether they actually ever use it or not.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Awesome overall for the vehicle if that is the number one complaint for the vehicle when it's a moot issue for many who only ever charge from home.

Just agree to disagree on what's most important and recognize that different things matter more or less to different people. For some, the Bolt is better overall value, and for others the ID.4 is, depending on what's more important.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
The ID4 should be better than the volt, is it better I don't know. I'm not an expert on the volt. Give it 5 more years and then with another 50 EV on the market and then try to compare. Gotta enjoy it.

Last edited:

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Good news: ID4 has a tow capacity of 2,200 lbs which would work very well for me. Too bad the Mach E doesn't have "any" capacity.

solarmoo900

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE AWD ER
Country flag
Reserved an ID4 today. Getting less confident in my MachE choice and figured it was no risk so why not. The mustang is still my first choice but we'll see what happens when I actually sit in it.
Sponsored