TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I guess it was more a hypothetical because I think I understand what I posted. My whole point was maybe I care less about about the range because I can charge quicker. I got the extended battery because I hate stopping on road trips and I might have to stop for 40 minutes or so to charge my MachE. But if I had a better charging curve, I could stop multiple times even with that lower range and still not have to charge to 40 minutes.

Overall my thoughts are just having a better charging curve means that range, at least in my opinion, doesn't matter as much.

Time is valuable, in my opinion. I'm not too concerned about paying for time I'm concerned about sitting there for those 5 minutes.
Yes, faster DCFC charging makes range less important, that's true. Somewhat.

Depends a lot on how far the trip is. Since charging on each end is often done at home and/or destination L2 overnight (where we don't care whether it takes 6 hours or 8 hours while we're sleeping), longer range can mean not having to stop at all, which is better than having to stop in the middle. But for a long trip that requires many stops, yes, 4 30 minute stops is roughly the same as 3 40 minutes stops. (I say "roughly" because there's always extra churn time to account for just getting on/off the interstate, that can easily add an additional 5-10 minutes each stop.)
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It seems like the MME ER gets 50kWh in 30 minutes
That might be a little optimistic. Ford's claim is 10-80% (ER) in 45 minutes. That's 61.6 kWh, which extrapolates to 36.5 minutes for 50 kWh.

In theory, we should be able to shave a couple of minutes off that if it's in the early part of the charge curve where it's *supposed* to get peak power. But it's too soon to tell if that will really be the case. So far many example sessions are taking a long time to reach peak power (and even then, peak power has been well under 150 kW). Hopefully that gets better in the summer, but still, people have to drive in the winter too.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Yes, faster DCFC charging makes range less important, that's true. Somewhat.

Depends a lot on how far the trip is. Since charging on each end is often done at home and/or destination L2 overnight (where we don't care whether it takes 6 hours or 8 hours while we're sleeping), longer range can mean not having to stop at all, which is better than having to stop in the middle. But for a long trip that requires many stops, yes, 4 30 minute stops is roughly the same as 3 40 minutes stops. (I say "roughly" because there's always extra churn time to account for just getting on/off the interstate, that can easily add an additional 5-10 minutes each stop.)
The 70% range of the MME (80% to 10%) and 80% range of the ID4 are pretty close. Probably doesn't make too much difference in terms of miles and maybe just a bit slower for the MME to charge.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The 70% range of the MME (80% to 10%) and 80% range of the ID4 are pretty close. Probably doesn't make too much difference in terms of miles and maybe just a bit slower for the MME to charge.
Yep, they don't look much different. Although we'll just have to see what each gets in real life. We're already seeing that can vary quite a bit from the manufacturer's claims, and varies a lot by conditions. One model might handle the cold far better than the other, with better battery conditioning.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Yep, they don't look much different. Although we'll just have to see what each gets in real life. We're already seeing that can vary quite a bit from the manufacturer's claims, and varies a lot by conditions. One model might handle the cold far better than the other, with better battery conditioning.
It's crazy to me that VW isn't bringing the ID4 heat pump to the US.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
My First Edition remains nowhere to be seen... looking like I'll be heading over to VW as the local dealer says they can have a ID.4 on the lot by mid-March, and who knows where my Mach-E will be by then.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
My First Edition remains nowhere to be seen... looking like I'll be heading over to VW as the local dealer says they can have a ID.4 on the lot by mid-March, and who knows where my Mach-E will be by then.
Congratulations! Best of luck with your ID.4.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Hope they do have cars by mid march for you. I made day 1/hour 1 reservation but no updates on its build yet - so I dont think my VW4 order will be there by mid march. I am not buying it anyway.

solarmoo900

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE AWD ER
Country flag
Hope they do have cars by mid march for you. I made day 1/hour 1 reservation but no updates on its build yet - so I dont think my VW4 order will be there by mid march. I am not buying it anyway.
Same here, would love if mid march was possible so i could compare but still no build date for me either

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
The RWD ID.4 is too slow, but the AWD has 302 HP and I think will perform comparably to the RWD SR Premium Mach E I have on order. Not shutting that door yet. And the Ioniq 5 certainly looks interesting with its fast charging, although I think the higher trims will cost too much.
Sponsored