WACM applied, did nothing for my iPhone 13 Pro

JeffGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD ext range
Country flag
Anyone have success with the WACM (Wireless Accessory Charge Module) update? Dealer installed on 9/14.

I have an iPhone 13 Pro and this still just heats up the phone but adds no charge (I do have CarPlay running from this phone). Tested this up to an hour, without the official Apple leather MagSafe case.

We also tried my wife's iPhone 12 mini on a shorter drive. It charged her phone a little bit. With USB it charged much faster.

Maybe this is a lost cause or bad hardware. I won't return the car because of it.
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
The update solved the constant charge stops for my iPhone 12 Mini, but it still charged slowly and got hot. But I switched to in iPhone 14 Pro and now it stops charging frequently again. I think it's mostly because of the giant camera bumps in the Pro phones that prevent it from laying flat.

mikeinet

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Standard AWD Tech/Comfort
Occupation
Cyber Security, First Responder
Country flag
I’ve had the update. Phone charges but does get hot. Not totally sure I noticed any change from the uodate

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
The update solved the constant charge stops for my iPhone 12 Mini, but it still charged slowly and got hot. But I switched to in iPhone 14 Pro and now it stops charging frequently again. I think it's mostly because of the giant camera bumps in the Pro phones that prevent it from laying flat.
I've noticed the same with the 14 Pro even after applying the update and assumed it was the giant camera bump as well. I still just rely on a magsafe puck.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
I don’t find that mine is any more or less reliable post update and now with my 14 Pro. It charges just fine. The biggest problem being it slipping off center on the charging area when I put my foot down. That will stop it from charging until I reposition it.

I actually have a new rubber cover for the charging area on order. I’m going to cut a hole in it right where the 14’s cameras are so it gives them a spot to rest in and that will hopefully hold it in place better.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Apple should just make the dang phones thicker so the camera sits flush. I remember when the iPhone 6 camera bump of 1mm was a big deal, now on the 14 it protrudes more than 4mm. It's gone too far IMO.

And Ford should have been testing the charger with modern iPhones and discovered the overheating issue before launch. Even if iPhones aren't Qi certified because of Magsafe, they are so popular they really force the market to make a wireless charger that is comparable with both Magsafe and Qi.
Sponsored