Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Ok. I’ll get this out of the way up front. ASAs are a decent tuner type wheel but they aren’t expensive ($265 each) they’re made in China, and did I say they’re cheap already? ?. However, the overall finish/quality is actually very good and they are also about 5 lbs lighter per wheel than the factory 19s.

We ordered them from Tire Rack with 245/45-20 Conti EC DWS06 tires for all season capability while also providing great lateral/longitudinal G abilities in the dry. Total combo was approx. 4.5 lbs lighter per corner than OEM. Here is a pic:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Warning! Do not buy ASA GT-14 wheels for your MME- info inside B8231223-E8EA-4B88-BDEE-E6108A6B4CDF

They looked great. But, in the last foot or so of stopping they made the most ridiculous resonance you’ve ever heard a wheel make. And I’ve heard my share of lightweight track wheels with aggressive track spec brake pads.

The OEM wheels and the subsequent OZ Racing Gran Turismo HLT wheels we installed did not do anything like this. I’ll post more about those separately. There is some resonant frequency occurring in the front brakes that excites a particular harmonic in the ASAs that basically turns them into a bad sounding cello or something. Listen:
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pushrods&Capacitors

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Did you put some miles on them and it still behaves the same?
Yes. It’s a structural/composition issue with the wheels combined with the MME front brakes. In 1 pedal they’re quiet. Tire Rack agreed and took them back for full refund after I provided multiple videos.

Superfly-Vic

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Yes. It’s a structural/composition issue with the wheels combined with the MME front brakes. In 1 pedal they’re quiet. Tire Rack agreed and took them back for full refund after I provided multiple videos.
The offset is very important with the size of the front brakes. That’s why I went with Vossen for my 22’s

OP
OP
Pushrods&Capacitors

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
The offset is very important with the size of the front brakes. That’s why I went with Vossen for my 22’s
They were ET 45s just like the OZ Racing GTs we replaced them with that are virtually silent. But, the OZs are a superior casting without a doubt.

whadenIV

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GTPE, '02 M3, '11 F-150
Country flag
i have these on my GTPE and i haven't experience any noise issues. Same size and tires, also.

OP
OP
Pushrods&Capacitors

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
i have these on my GTPE and i haven't experience any noise issues. Same size and tires, also.
Do you have the machined/black combo or the dark tinted ones? Also, GTPE has the larger Brembo calipers, so it’s apples to oranges in that regard.

Also, 1 pedal driving almost totally masks this issue so that could be a reason as well.

whadenIV

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do you have the machined/black combo or the dark tinted ones? Also, GTPE has the larger Brembo calipers, so it’s apples to oranges in that regard.

Also, 1 pedal driving almost totally masks this issue so that could be a reason as well.
I have the gloss gunmetal.
Agreed that calipers are different.
I mainly drive in 1 pedal but turn if off occasionally - i will see this evening if that makes a difference.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Warning! Do not buy ASA GT-14 wheels for your MME- info inside Screenshot_20211113-151457_Gallery

OP
OP
Pushrods&Capacitors

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
I have the gloss gunmetal.
Agreed that calipers are different.
I mainly drive in 1 pedal but turn if off occasionally - i will see this evening if that makes a difference.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Warning! Do not buy ASA GT-14 wheels for your MME- info inside Screenshot_20211113-151457_Gallery
Cool, same ones, great looking wheels. You have to be creeping to a stop slowly and then inch up repeatedly to really get the full effect. And yeah. The larger calipers, different pad composition and larger rotor diameter on your GTPE could result in totally different results.

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
I have those exact wheels on a GTPE along with 245/45R20 Vredestein Wintrac Pro for the snow and ice here in Colorado. I have never heard sounds like this with my car. Doesn't matter if I am in 1PD or not. It just isn't happening with my car as it is with yours.

whadenIV

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Spitballing - in no particular order.

Something is touching the dust shield? (wheel weight?)
You have a bagpiper stuck down there.
maybe a bad hub bearing (doubtful)
Did you use the hubcentric ring? is that interfering. (I did use the plastic ring)
Curious if the wheel is actually flat on the hub.
Is the noise on both sides or just the drivers?
Maybe remove the wheel (if you haven't) and see if there any scrapes on the inside of the wheel
Did you torque to 150 ft-lbs? (THIS IS ALOT - my torque wrench maxes at 150)

SyNRG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Explorer Sport & 2021 MME Select (SR) RWD
Occupation
Healthcare Data Analysis
Country flag
Good looking wheels, too bad they're making those strange noises - yikes!
How are you liking the Conti EC DWS06 tires (rain & dry performance)? Have you done any canyon carving/spirited driving with them?
Sponsored