carinquiryad

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
We are about the purchase an extended Mach-E Premium AWD 2022 new. The dealer just asked me if I would like to purchase any of the warranty contracts.
I am not even sure what each of these cover, but it is a remote purchase so I have not been able to get that info from the dealer yet. They have given me 4 options.

My question is: Would you recommend purchasing any of these options? We live in southern NH if it matters. Also, do these get transferred to a new owner if we sell the car at some point.

Option 1 (Cost ~$3700)
Vehicle Service contract (72 months or 85000 miles) - New Comprehensive - $100 Ded
Road Hazard Tire and Wheel (60 months, Z tire & Wheel - Premium Unlimited)
Select Protection (60 months, Z select Protection - Plan 12: ALC PDR KEY ERS)
Simonix Glasscoat (120 months Z Simoniz - New Vehicle)

Option 2 (Cost ~$3100)
Vehicle Service contract (72 months or 85000 miles) - New Comprehensive - $100 Ded

Option 3 (Cost ~$2500)

Option 4 (Cost ~$1900)
Sponsored

TadCurious

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Mach E CAR
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
We are about the purchase an extended Mach-E Premium AWD 2022 new. The dealer just asked me if I would like to purchase any of the warranty contracts.
I am not even sure what each of these cover, but it is a remote purchase so I have not been able to get that info from the dealer yet. They have given me 4 options.

My question is: Would you recommend purchasing any of these options? We live in southern NH if it matters. Also, do these get transferred to a new owner if we sell the car at some point.

Option 1 (Cost ~$3700)
Simonix Glasscoat (120 months Z Simoniz - New Vehicle)

Option 2 (Cost ~$3100)

Option 3 (Cost ~$2500)

Option 4 (Cost ~$1900)
Before you do, check https://grangerfordextendedwarranty.com/ and get an online quote for the same Ford ESP coverage at $50 over cost. (I don't shill for them, just hate to see anyone make $2k mistake.)

roamtheworld

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
General rule of thumb is they aren’t worth it for most ICE buyers and I wouldn’t think that the value increases with EV since they have fewer parts. The coverage on battery is 8 years 100K miles not sure plans cover more than that.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
My goodness. If you must buy (I would wait until 35 months or 35K miles) and it’s only a few hundred more, buy a Ford Premium Care 8 year 100K for around $1700 with NO Deductible. It’s pretty much bumper to bumper and backed by Ford. Flood Ford is the best and lowest price. FloodFordESP.com I think. Do not forget to add lighting. Those LED one piece headlights are over $2k installed when the bulb burns out.

shanky2008

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered 2023 Mustand Mach E
Occupation
Devops Engineer
Source https://www.ford.com/suvs/mach-e/?gnav=header-electrified-vhp
  1. What is the warranty on the Mustang Mach-E?
    Our New Vehicle Limited Warranty will help give you peace of mind with the following:
    Electric Vehicle Component Coverage: 8 years or 100,000 miles (whichever occurs first), with retention of 70% or more of the original High Voltage Battery capacity over that period.7
    Powertrain coverage: 5 years / 60,000 miles7
    Bumper to Bumper coverage: 3 years / 36,000 miles7
    Safety Restraint System coverage: 5 years / 60,000 miles7
    Corrosion coverage (Perforation only): 5 years / unlimited miles7
    Electric Vehicle Roadside Assistance Program: 5 years / 60,000 miles7
You already have most of things covered by ford.
If you want extended buy is after the 3 years bumper to bumper warranty expiration.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Both Flood and Grainger sell the Ford Extended Service Plans (ESP) for significantly lower prices than any other Ford dealer. It’s the same ESP that you would buy from any other Ford dealer, so if you feel you need to have it, they seem to be the best bet. Just FYI I do not have an ESP. 😊🐩

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Do not take the above advice and buy it AFTER the warranty, they won't let you for PremiumCare. You want to do it right before warranty expiration.

That said, the extended warranty is insurance like anything. Whether it is worth it or not is an IMPOSSIBLE to answer question because nobody knows your future.

I will give you our very recent experience with it though. I bought a PremiumCare 8 Year/100k mile warranty for our 2017 Focus Electric when we got it used with 34k miles.

I got it through www.floodfordesp.com, and I was able to use a bunch of FordPass points to knock $300 off. So it cost about $600 for the warranty.

This was my wife's car and she was saying there was a clunk coming from the front end. Took it to a local Ford dealer who diagnosed that there was an issue with the steering rack. They had to replace the rack (or a significant portion) and the cost would have been around $3k after parts and labor. It cost us $100 for the deductible.

We sold that Focus on Saturday since our Mach-E finally arrived. I contacted Flood Ford to cancel the ESP, and I am getting a pro-rated refund of just under $500.

Was the ESP worth it for us? Oh god yes. We bought that Focus in July 2021. I would have had to set aside around $250/month for that repair using the often mentioned alternative of just set aside some money each month for an eventual repair. Then I would have just been "out" $3k and starting that fund over again. Instead I paid a bit up front then $100 deductible, and got most of that up front money back.

Will you have that experience? Maybe not. There is a chance even if you run into an issue the warranty won't cover it. We learned that during that same visit because when we tried to roll up the passenger rear window all the way, it would bounce back every time. The tech said that this was most likely a calibration issue and not a mechanical issue. If it's calibration/programming, that IS NOT covered by PremiumCare, so we would have been out the diagnostic fee for that plus any cost if we decided to have them correct it.

I ended up looking up the issue and finding how to recalibrate it myself and did it in five minutes.

Anyway, the point there is to know what it doesn't cover as well. I assumed something like that would have been, but that's only with the original bumper-to-bumper.

Sorry for the long response, but I actually have recent experience with the Ford ESP and I will probably get one again for my F-150 if we decide to buy it at lease end. The fact that you can get a pro-rated refund if you end up selling the vehicle/not liking the service makes it a fairly low risk endeavor. I wish I could get a refund for the 20 years of auto insurance I have paid for and never used...

OP
OP

carinquiryad

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
General rule of thumb is they aren’t worth it for most ICE buyers and I wouldn’t think that the value increases with EV since they have fewer parts. The coverage on battery is 8 years 100K miles not sure plans cover more than that.
Yes that is what I thought, but this is the first time I am purchasing an EV and I was not sure if maybe this was the way to do in the EV world. Thank you for your kind opinion, you have saved me hours of looking around and perhaps a fair amount of money.

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
Take the money and invest it instead of throwing it away on a extended warranty. If it is going to break will probably do so in the OEM warranty period. Every consumer advocate out there has been saying this for years.

OP
OP

carinquiryad

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Just one question - so it seems a Ford vehicle service contract is different from the BMW Ultimate Care. I think the BMW Ultimate care also includes scheduled service, and it seems that the vehicle service contract is for covering repairs post warranty.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
Just one question - so it seems a Ford vehicle service contract is different from the BMW Ultimate Care. I think the BMW Ultimate care also includes scheduled service, and it seems that the vehicle service contract is for covering repairs post warranty.
The scheduled maintenance on the Mach-E is cabin air filter and tire rotations. Save your money.

OP
OP

carinquiryad

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
The scheduled maintenance on the Mach-E is cabin air filter and tire rotations. Save your money.
Thank you, it is clear to me now that I do not need to choose any of these extended warranty options (at least at this time).

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
I know some heavily consider the interior protection or tire/wheel protection, but most skip the ESPs, service contracts, and other non-essential warranties.
Sponsored