Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford F-150, 2018 Tesla Model 3 & 2 Ducati M/C
Occupation
Test Dummy
Country flag
The headline is quite misleading. There will be gas cars driving around decades from now. But it bans the sale or import of any gas light-duty passenger cars made after 2030. Basically, dealers will be be allowed to sell new 2029 model year cars past 2030 (if anyone actually want to waste their money). They will probably have a hard time getting rid of them if manufacturers overproduce 2029 model year to compensate.

By then there will hundreds of new models of EV's with greater ranges, lower prices, more body styles and faster charging than anything available today. I doubt any rational person would want to invest in a new gasoline car by 2030. Maybe someone with more money than brains.

LagerHead

Banned
Banned
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford F-150, 2018 Tesla Model 3 & 2 Ducati M/C
Occupation
Test Dummy
Country flag
The government "ban" will get pushed back if necessary. This is just a wake-up call. It will get home builders installing EV charge circuits in new houses, light a fire under manufacturers, stimulate private investment in charging networks, battery manufacturers, mining of essential minerals, etc. This is how you move forward. If the time comes and we're not ready, it will get pushed back. But, without such forward-looking rules, people will be lackadaisical about being ready for the onslaught of new EV's manufacturers keep telling us will be arriving any day now. And this keeps the auto manufacturers honest. A lot of people think this onslaught of new EV's they keep talking about is just a way to delay stricter emissions standards and fleet efficiency standards.

It's good planning and I'm glad Washington is helping lead the charge. Without actions like this, it will just be business as usual for the manufacturers.

mburtsvt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just 1 Rapid Red Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'll believe it when gas stations start being replaced with charge stations.

NoMoShocks

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier EV, 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander GT PHEV
Occupation
Electrical product safety engineer
Country flag
I agree that "No rational person would want an ICE vehicle" and "No brains" are over the top, but the miracle in this decade may already be in the works with Solid State Battery research gaining traction. Toyota may introduce a solid state battery car that can charge in 10 minutes by 2025. We are living in interesting times. Won't surprise me if we can print solid state battery before too long.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
SO what year will the government do the big buyback like before? This time trade-in your ice clunker for 5,000 off. I'm sure it will happen but when?

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
They're not, even in the long run. BEVs over their lifespan emit far fewer emissions than an ICE of any kind, even considering fueling only on coal power...

Also, look at their own data in this article. Hybrids are only actually the same as BEVs in emissions when they are run on "mostly battery". There are very few people that can run a hybrid daily on "mostly battery" with a 6-10kWh battery. In that case, you are better off just buying a BEV with a 10kWh battery.
Finally, at the end, they admit that if energy sources change by 2030 (they will), then this data will require "re-analyzing"....

By the way, that "company" is incredibly biased. Their only stake exists in analyzing ICE emissions. Of course they're going to release an article like that ?

Ok, I like these kind of discussions. Not disagreeing with you overall, but I noticed a ton of red flags in that article.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
This is incredibly exciting. :D

I've been waiting for someone to take the lead and prove to California and the other ZEVs states that they don't need to wait until 2035.

Sure, it will be a massive undertaking, but it's completely feasible to do in under a decade, and the idea of seeing such rapid progress is inspiring. None of this "oh but it's hard, just keep things as they are" mentality that has held us back for decades and decades now.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Did any of y'all actually read the article? No car smashing required. No ban of old cars. You can still sell used cars. They just plan to ban the licensing and sale of cars of 2030 model year and beyond that are not electric. Old cars are fine.
"Washington’s bill specifically seeks to ban the sale, purchase, or registration of any non-electric vehicle of model year 2030 or later. Thus, it would even apply to cars purchased out of state and imported into Washington. These would not need to be battery electric vehicles, they can be any electrically powered vehicle. Thus, fuel cell vehicles, which are powered by an electric motor connected to a fuel cell rather than a battery, would qualify as well."

Please pay attention to your sources. You do realize you cited a 2010 analysis, don't you? If you search a little harder you might have found something comparing the cost of fueling Model Ts vs feeding horses ;)

Let's try a 2020 reference, shall we?
https://www.carbonbrief.org/factcheck-how-electric-vehicles-help-to-tackle-climate-change
The carbon debt of new electric vehicles is about 2 years. It is by no means better for the environment to keep driving your old banger in the 2020s.
Sponsored