TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If you are vactioning, you use a destination charger, not a Supercharger, just like at home. There are hundreds of thousands of them around the nation (and growing every year).
"Hundreds of thousands"?!? Tesla is touted for having the best/most of everything EV and their website says "4500+ destination chargers". You're off by at least a factor of 10x, even adding J-1772's to that.

https://www.tesla.com/destination-charging

Check out hotels across the country. That's where most road trip destination charging is needed to make road trips in a BEV work well. Destination charging at hotels across the country is still a pretty small%. Growing, but small.
Sponsored

LagerHead

Banned
Banned
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford F-150, 2018 Tesla Model 3 & 2 Ducati M/C
Occupation
Test Dummy
Country flag
It's not out-dated until there actually is an abundance of super fast chargers. Which there clearly isn't. There's sufficient coverage on limited routes now. But we're a long, long way from an "abundance" across the country.

And they're not "super fast". Gas refueling is super fast. EV fueling isn't. It's just varying degrees of slow.
All I know is my car is usually charged before I'm ready to hit the road again. Unlike a gas car I can take care of my tasks while the car is fueling and generally get a little fresh air and a short walk in. When I fuel my gas truck I have to stand there for 5 minutes while breathing the vapors and then I have to park and take care of any business.

I definitely don't find the charging to be slow!

Last edited:

LagerHead

Banned
Banned
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Test Dummy
Country flag
"Hundreds of thousands"?!? Tesla is touted for having the best/most of everything EV and their website says "4500+ destination chargers". You're off by at least a factor of 10x, even adding J-1772's to that.

https://www.tesla.com/destination-charging

Check out hotels across the country. That's where most road trip destination charging is needed to make road trips in a BEV work well. Destination charging at hotels across the country is still a pretty small%. Growing, but small.
I've plugged into the 30 amp 240V motel air conditioner plug right by the window of almost every motel in the Western half of the US. Fully charged when I wake up! There are literally hundreds of thousands of these across the country. Electricity is everywhere there are buildings. If you prefer to camp, most campgrounds have 50 amp outlets. If you brought your mobile connector, every outlet is a destination charger.

And third party destination chargers outnumber Tesla destination chargers by a huge margin! I'm not picky, as long as I get 30 amps I'm good to go in the morning. This is one more reason why you want your EV to be as efficient as possible. There is a direct correlation between efficiency and time spent charging (at any given charge rate).

Last edited:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
All I know is my car is usually charged before I'm ready to hit the road again. Unlike a gas car I can take of my tasks while the car is fueling and generally get a little fresh air and a short walk in. When I fuel my gas truck I have to stand there for 5 minutes while breathing the vapors and then I have to park and take care of any business.

I definitely don't find the charging to be slow!
15-40 minutes is clearly slower than 5 minutes (which is really more like 90 seconds of actual fueling).

If all your DCFC chargers happen to be at places you regularly spend 15-40 minutes anyway, and at just the right times you need to charge, then great for you. But let's not pretend that that's anywhere close to the norm for most everyone else.

Fortunately most people do 90%+ of their BEV charging at home, not DCFC retail stations, so for that it truly is a plus. But it appears you are referring to public charging, not home charging. And there's no question that's much slower, and much more sparse, and very much an issue on many routes.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I've plugged into the 30 amp 240V motel air conditioner plug right by the window of almost every motel in the Western half of the US. Fully charged when I wake up! There are literally hundreds of thousands of these across the country. Electricity is everywhere there are buildings. If you prefer to camp, most campgrounds have 50 amp outlets. If you brought your mobile connector, every outlet is a destination charger.

And third party destination chargers outnumber Tesla destination chargers by a huge margin! I'm not picky, as long as I get 30 amps I'm good to go in the morning. This is one more reason why you want your EV to be as efficient as possible. There is a direct correlation between efficiency and time spent charging (at any given charge rate).
You really think most motels are OK with people unplugging the A/C units, popping the screen out of the window, plugging in their EVSE, and draping the cord across the sidewalk?? And that's only if you're lucky enough to have the parking spot just outside your room open to park in.

Obviously that's a silly scenario to tout as the norm. I don't doubt you've actually done that, but let's not pretend that's normal and acceptable for most.

And no, most people driving their EV on a road trip aren't gonna sleep in it overnight in a KOA campground. Or be in position to leave the car there for hours during the trip. Again, you're taking rare exceptions and pretending like that will work for the masses.

And no, 120V outlets (which are largely everywhere, NOT 240V) are not a solution either. Way too low power for a practical solution as a norm.

This is just silly.

LagerHead

Banned
Banned
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Test Dummy
Country flag
15-40 minutes is clearly slower than 5 minutes (which is really more like 90 seconds of actual fueling).

If all your DCFC chargers happen to be at places you regularly spend 15-40 minutes anyway, and at just the right times you need to charge, then great for you. But let's not pretend that that's anywhere close to the norm for most everyone else.

Fortunately most people do 90%+ of their BEV charging at home, not DCFC retail stations, so for that it truly is a plus. But it appears you are referring to public charging, not home charging. And there's no question that's much slower, and much more sparse, and very much an issue on many routes.
No, I'm talking DC fast charging like they have at Superchargers - the conversation got side-tracked into destination charging. When fast charging, it's really rare I would ever take 40 minutes, I might plan that for the last stop of the day while I'm eating dinner. Most are only 20 minutes or less.

I don't know how much EV road-tripping you've done but it's quicker than I am most of the time.

milepost1

First Name
harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Carbonizied gray - FE
Occupation
retired
Country flag
My wife and I each avoided sales tax on the first $45,000 of our EV's using the State sales tax exemption for EV's. That saved us $9,000. We also avoided sales tax on the EV charging infrastructure we installed in our carport to charge two EV's.

I would say that's quite an incentive to buy an EV instead of ICE. The cars are so much better than ICE we would have done it anyway but it's a good incentive for fence-sitters.
it is not the first 45k. the car must be under 45k to qualify. (wa state) you can exempt the value of your trade in against sales tax. and the installation rebate came from your power co. State supplied incentives $0 for me.

milepost1

First Name
harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Carbonizied gray - FE
Occupation
retired
Country flag
We got a Model 3 and a Performance Model 3. You don't have to purchase under $45K, it's just that only the first $45K is exempt from State sales tax. So we were exempt on $90,000 worth on both cars combined, if I recall. I was doing rough math rounding to 10%. It was probably closer to $4000 on each car or around $8,000 off total.

Sure, there could be more incentives but the cars are so good they are competitive with gas cars at the same price point so, while I like government incentives, they are not necessary for EV's to sell as soon as they are produced. At least those from manufacturers able to offer the most value.

Qualifying vehicles

The exemption is applied to the sales price or fair market value when you purchase or lease a passenger car, light duty truck, or medium duty passenger vehicle that is powered exclusively by a clean alternative fuel or capable of traveling at least 30 miles using only battery power.

In addition, the vehicle must be sold or valued at $45,000 or less if new and $30,000 or less if used.

this is from the wa dept of revenue. so either you bought a car under 45k or you owe sales tax that the dealer didnt pay.

LagerHead

Banned
Banned
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Test Dummy
Country flag

Qualifying vehicles

The exemption is applied to the sales price or fair market value when you purchase or lease a passenger car, light duty truck, or medium duty passenger vehicle that is powered exclusively by a clean alternative fuel or capable of traveling at least 30 miles using only battery power.

In addition, the vehicle must be sold or valued at $45,000 or less if new and $30,000 or less if used.

this is from the wa dept of revenue. so either you bought a car under 45k or you owe sales tax that the dealer didnt pay.

You are mistaken. The cars were both purchased in 2018 and there was no limit on the purchase price, the first $45K was tax free.

Please follow the conversation before commenting. Nobody wants to read repetitive stuff in the same thread!
Sponsored