Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The Harley LiveWire comes with more free EA charging than the Mach-E. ?

https://insideevs.com/news/565521/bmw-ix-i4-electrify-america/

- Mark
As a newbie, you weren't around in the early days when Ford actually surveyed the community to see which people would prefer, a price reduction or more free charging. Most folks here on the Forum voted for lower cost. Realistically, your subject line is misleading: the customers were being cheap and Ford obliged.

Ford's compromise was enough free charging to encourage people to try Plug & Charge but a lower final cost.

WIth 95% of all charging being done at home, I think Ford acted wisely.

If you want to read the history, use your search function. It's all here on the Forum.

OP
OP
strangeengine

strangeengine

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE (sold after 2mo - suspension sucks!)
Country flag
As a newbie, you weren't around in the early days when Ford actually surveyed the community to see which people would prefer, a price reduction or more free charging. Most folks here on the Forum voted for lower cost. Realistically, your subject line is misleading: the customers were being cheap and Ford obliged.

Ford's compromise was enough free charging to encourage people to try Plug & Charge but a lower final cost.

WIth 95% of all charging being done at home, I think Ford acted wisely.

If you want to read the history, use your search function. It's all here on the Forum.
Don't get me wrong - I enjoy a patronizing response as much as the next person, but the reality is the LiveWire costs 40% as much as the GTPE I ordered but comes with 2x the free charging.

Ford is being cheap, no matter how they justified it.

- Mark

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Don't get me wrong - I enjoy a patronizing response as much as the next person, but the reality is the LiveWire costs 40% as much as the GTPE I ordered but comes with 2x the free charging.

- Mark
In per kWh states, with EA Pass+, 250 free kWh are worth $80. In per minute states, with EA Pass+, they're worth less than 1/2 that.

Free charging is basically an insult to people's intelligence. I had a guy tell me that his ID.4 was "the same" as my Mach-E, "and I get 3 years of free charging!" His 0 to 60 is 7.6 seconds, mine is 4.8. Yeah, I want 3 years of free charging...

OP
OP
strangeengine

strangeengine

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Free charging is basically an insult to people's intelligence.
Free charging is a marketing tool to entice ICE owners to try EV.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag

- Mark
As they said, the 2x ā€œfree chargingā€ is worth $80.

Who cares? Itā€™s not free either, itā€™s just baked into the price.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Free charging is a marketing tool to entice ICE owners to try EV.
Anyone that would buy a Mach-E, over another vehicle, because of free charging, deserves to drive the other vehicle. People who buy the Mach-E appreciate the performance aspect of it.

We also get 22,000 FordPass points, instead of more charging hours. And they are worth more.

OP
OP
strangeengine

strangeengine

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As they said, the 2x ā€œfree chargingā€ is worth $80.

Who cares? Itā€™s not free either, itā€™s just baked into the price.
You've basically made my point for me. It's so little money that it's a non-factor, yet Ford compares poorly on this point against a motorcycle that costs 40% as much, not to mention against actual competing cars.

Just dumb.

Per the anecdote above with the ID.4 owner, typical car buyers (ie non-EV enthusiasts) pay attention to this stuff.

Reactions: RLW

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
OP
OP
strangeengine

strangeengine

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Value is subjective. Ford has provided more than enough DCFC at no cost then I will ever need. I am much happier that Ford offered a few thousand dollars discount off the purchase of my FE instead of giving me practically valueless charging.
You really think that Ford gave you a "few thousand" off the purchase of your FE in exchange for as much as a couple of hundred in free charging? Really?

That's not how product planning works. But ok, as long as you're happy with the deal. ?

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
VW has to give away charging with the id.4 because thatā€™s what THOSE buyers value. They donā€™t care about performance, because that car is over 8 seconds to 60mph. Itā€™s a good car. I had one on order for my wife for a while. But itā€™s a boring car aimed at a different audience. Same w the motorcycle. Very few people are going to do 1000 mile road trips on an electric motorcycle. They need to generate buzz. More power to them. Iā€™d rather Ford work through the year of back orders they have.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
In per kWh states, with EA Pass+, 250 free kWh are worth $80. In per minute states, with EA Pass+, they're worth less than 1/2 that.

Free charging is basically an insult to people's intelligence. I had a guy tell me that his ID.4 was "the same" as my Mach-E, "and I get 3 years of free charging!" His 0 to 60 is 7.6 seconds, mine is 4.8. Yeah, I want 3 years of free charging...
Our EA per kWh rate is $0.43, so 250 kWh = $107.50. Iā€™m in CT.
Sponsored