Some of us just got screwed by New Jersey - but Ford is stepping up!

SoriceConsulting

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sorice.com
Vehicles
2023 GTPE, Rapid Red
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
I know there is really no 'new' news about the rebate situation, but it seems odd (unfair?) that NJ would exclude any purchases made between 12/15/2020 and when (if?) the rebate returns this summer. My MME will likely arrive right around that time (ordered 10/20/2020), so I may decide to wait it out to see if the program returns. Anyone else in the same situation?

Here is the NJ FAQ on the rebate:

Will vehicles purchased after the post-purchase program closes on December 15, 2020, but before the point-of-sale program is launched be eligible for the incentive?

No; electric vehicles purchased or leased after December 15, 2020 and before the launch of the point-of-sale program in summer 2021 will not receive an incentive through the Charge Up New Jersey Program due to lack of available funding.
Sponsored

Johnny

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium SR AWD, Buick Enclave
Occupation
Accountant
Country flag
I was hoping, but not expecting that Ford might push a NJ specific rebate through. But dealer confirmed yesterday that that isn't going to happen:

"In reference to the NJ rebate, Ford is not providing additional money being the state rebate was something that was applied when completing your taxes, I’ve been advised by Ford that the money is there, NJ just has to come up with a new green energy bill for consumers."

I guess I've also learned that my dealer has no idea what he's talking about. The $5k rebate is not an income tax credit, it's an actual rebate! And what he is saying also conflicts with the FAQ.

available_username2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cmax energi
Country flag
I know there is really no 'new' news about the rebate situation, but it seems odd (unfair?) that NJ would exclude any purchases made between 12/15/2020 and when (if?) the rebate returns this summer. My MME will likely arrive right around that time (ordered 10/20/2020), so I may decide to wait it out to see if the program returns. Anyone else in the same situation?

Here is the NJ FAQ on the rebate:

Will vehicles purchased after the post-purchase program closes on December 15, 2020, but before the point-of-sale program is launched be eligible for the incentive?

No; electric vehicles purchased or leased after December 15, 2020 and before the launch of the point-of-sale program in summer 2021 will not receive an incentive through the Charge Up New Jersey Program due to lack of available funding.
I assume that when it comes back in the summer it's going to be less than $5000. My guess is a lot less. I have like a second shipment of deliveries order so I have resigned myself to being screwed out of $5k. Luckily I am able to absorb $5k spread over 5 years of payments. I don't see a way for me to delay buying until the summer. And I don't want to risk not getting a car by ordering again. If your delivery is expected in the summer anyway maybe you could figure something out.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I assume that when it comes back in the summer it's going to be less than $5000. My guess is a lot less.
I would guess so too. Especially since this incentive is ON TOP OF what may already be the most generous state EV subsidy in the country: the sales tax exemption, which amounts to nearly $4000 savings on a Premium Mach-E.

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
Waiting could hurt you more than losing the NJ incentive...Joe Biden has proposed modifying the federal EV tax credit to only apply to certain income brackets.

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Hi all, I've sent emails to my 2 state reps. gov Murphy, state sen., NJBPU, and Doug O'Malley director of Envir. NJ & change evc......sent emails before Christmas, so far NO replies......have any of your received any contact from your emails you sent????/

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
A little bit of a mystical kingdom, like Camelot
Vehicles
Premium MME4X Iconic Silver
Country flag
The way it stands currently, if you bought after Dec 15 or don't take delivery by Mar 31, you don't get a NJ rebate. Those who buy an EV between Dec 16 and when the new Point-of-Sale program starts in (likely) Jul/Aug, are not eligible for a rebate. They make that clear. I really doubt they'll change that.

My total speculation is that the Point-of-Sale rebate will be the same ($5000) for vehicles with MSRP of less than $55K (the funding and commitment for the multiyear program will still be there). Mine has an MSRP of 55.1K, so if I thought I was getting a rebate, I wouldn't be getting Infinite Blue, so that the price would be under the $55K limit.

If you want the NJ rebate, then cancel your order and re-order after the Point-of-Sale program starts up. Time has it's risks, as always, and you won't have your car. Right now, that's the decision that needs to be made. I wouldn't hold my breath hoping the NJ BPU will change it's mind. If you need the rebate, cancel your order.

SoriceConsulting

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sorice.com
Vehicles
2023 GTPE, Rapid Red
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
In my case, since I don't need the car (but really want it :^), I'll likely see how things stand when my order arrives. With the recent delays, I'd think my late October order will probably get here around June or later. At that point, if the point of sale program looks like it will be reinstated, it would make financial sense to just let the dealer keep it and then re-order.

This weird 'gap' in the program may also make it a lot harder for dealers to sell their MME's in early summer - I guess the only buyers would be those who don't realize the program exists, or those that don't care about getting the extra $5k off.

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
A little bit of a mystical kingdom, like Camelot
Vehicles
Premium MME4X Iconic Silver
Country flag
In my case, since I don't need the car (but really want it :^), I'll likely see how things stand when my order arrives. With the recent delays, I'd think my late October order will probably get here around June or later. At that point, if the point of sale program looks like it will be reinstated, it would make financial sense to just let the dealer keep it and then re-order.

This weird 'gap' in the program may also make it a lot harder for dealers to sell their MME's in early summer - I guess the only buyers would be those who don't realize the program exists, or those that don't care about getting the extra $5k off.
That's what I'm thinking too. If the car arrives, or is scheduled to arrive, close to when the POS (ha!) program is starting and the rebate is worth it, I may let the dealer keep it. Would have to reorder keeping it under 55K to take advantage of the rebate.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Waiting could hurt you more than losing the NJ incentive...Joe Biden has proposed modifying the federal EV tax credit to only apply to certain income brackets.
I think that would go against selling more GREEN things which is what the TAX credit was created for. Make any changes it will could down buying EV's and ultimately hurt sales, which I am sure Biden is not looking to promote. However why even mess with the the program since it's getting smaller every day. Ford will hit the numbers next year if they sell 50K this year and 50K next. They are at 100K right now, may others are not far behind either. Since we don't know much about the future and we don't know the brackets I would still look to purchase now and not later, not much is going to change with the 2022 model as a guess.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I think that would go against selling more GREEN things which is what the TAX credit was created for.
Sure, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't do it. In Vermont, the state incentive has an income limit and only applies to EVs that cost under $40k.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Sure, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't do it. In Vermont, the state incentive has an income limit and only applies to EVs that cost under $40k.
Always true with anything, I just suspect the Federal Government is not going to mess with it. Will see, hope not.

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
I think that would go against selling more GREEN things which is what the TAX credit was created for. Make any changes it will could down buying EV's and ultimately hurt sales, which I am sure Biden is not looking to promote. However why even mess with the the program since it's getting smaller every day. Ford will hit the numbers next year if they sell 50K this year and 50K next. They are at 100K right now, may others are not far behind either. Since we don't know much about the future and we don't know the brackets I would still look to purchase now and not later, not much is going to change with the 2022 model as a guess.
https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/sit...r_Vice_President_Bidens_Tax_Proposals_1_1.pdf

Page 7

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Thanks. In case anyone wants to save the click, this is the relevant verbiage:

Restore the full electric vehicle tax credit, target it to middle-income consumers, and prioritize the purchase of American-made vehicles. We assume the proposal makes the electric vehicle tax credit permanent, repeals the per manufacturer cap, and phases out the credit for taxpayers with income above $250,000.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Thanks. In case anyone wants to save the click, this is the relevant verbiage:

Restore the full electric vehicle tax credit, target it to middle-income consumers, and prioritize the purchase of American-made vehicles. We assume the proposal makes the electric vehicle tax credit permanent, repeals the per manufacturer cap, and phases out the credit for taxpayers with income above $250,000.
Thank you for the summary, my original concern was around the current incentive, but if they stick with the above 250k income I’m good as I’m no where close. I also appreciate American made vehicles even if assembled in Mexico.
Thank you both, as I couldn’t find the document.
Sponsored