Website Order Dealership wants me to come in

jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
I think it's standard procedure for the dealer to have you come in to sign a few forms. Ford is custom making a $50k car for you... I can understand why they'd want to verify you're a legitimate buyer.

Also, for what it's worth, I went in to test drive a ME, and put a $500 deposit on it (I considered buying the one on the lot). I decided to go with a custom, and instead of using my original $500 they refunded it, and I had to make a new $500 deposit when I did the custom order. Both deposits showed up for the specific dealership (not Ford) on my CC statement. I don't really see anything suspicious about that, but I'd make sure you get a receipt for the refund.

Also... I would *want* to meet the dealer in person. I go with a very specific purpose in mind: to size them up to see if I can trust them to not screw up a $50k car order. Would you trust some random car salesman not to screw you over when the car rolls in? I wouldn't. All conversations about MSRP, taxes, fees, etc. I want out of the way before the car arrives.
Sponsored

Reign of Ravens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E Premium, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
This is a useful thread. I had put in an order a few days ago; dealer contacted me with a general interest email ("we have lots of vehicles that will interest you!" and all that), I received a much more brief reply when I pointed out that I'd already paid a deposit and had an order number. They said they'd process it, and that was that. The website was down for a few days but today I could see that the dealer has just been sitting on the order. I contacted them again and they said Ford now requires some paperwork and ID for an order to be placed. That's fine, and given this thread I'm reassured that I'm not being taken for a ride, I'm only miffed that they didn't think to ask me to come in until I reached out to them.

Just to vent a bit, I get that dealerships' business model is really not so much about car sales (excluding used car sales) and are more about the service that comes after, but where's the hook into the service, trying to get the customer to feel good about the place? Granted, service and sales are usually two separate departments, but I was hoping for a bit more... I don't have an existing relationship with this dealer and approach with cautious optimism, but it's kind of a letdown. Haven't ordered a Tesla (although I've been in their stores) but yeah, from what I read, the buying process through them isn't perfect but I wish Ford had it as an option.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
This is a useful thread. I had put in an order a few days ago; dealer contacted me with a general interest email ("we have lots of vehicles that will interest you!" and all that), I received a much more brief reply when I pointed out that I'd already paid a deposit and had an order number. They said they'd process it, and that was that. The website was down for a few days but today I could see that the dealer has just been sitting on the order. I contacted them again and they said Ford now requires some paperwork and ID for an order to be placed. That's fine, and given this thread I'm reassured that I'm not being taken for a ride, I'm only miffed that they didn't think to ask me to come in until I reached out to them.

Just to vent a bit, I get that dealerships' business model is really not so much about car sales (excluding used car sales) and are more about the service that comes after, but where's the hook into the service, trying to get the customer to feel good about the place? Granted, service and sales are usually two separate departments, but I was hoping for a bit more... I don't have an existing relationship with this dealer and approach with cautious optimism, but it's kind of a letdown. Haven't ordered a Tesla (although I've been in their stores) but yeah, from what I read, the buying process through them isn't perfect but I wish Ford had it as an option.
Part of the issue is that the whole process (from reservation to order to financing) is pretty much brand new so the salespeople or dealerships may have done it a couple times or you may be the first for them. So not surprising they don’t know the process. Especially since what you just went through is different than it was even a few months ago.

I’m betting a few dealerships were putting in fake orders to get more inventory and got caught. So now Ford needs your ID to make sure you exist.

Rfehl62

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Ford Sales consultant
Country flag
I placed an order on Ford Website selected the dealership, paid the deposit online. Now the dealership wants me to come in and sign some documents/verify ID and pay them the deposit directly. They advised the deposit from the website would be refunded and this is the way Ford wanted them to do these orders now?

Doesn't sound right. Anyone else have any experience with this happening?
This is correct, when the order is actually placed in WBDO (dealer order site) you will see your original deposit refunded with 24-48hrs. If it does not, simply alert the dealership and they will cut you a check directly. I have had multiple customers order Mach-E's (including myself) and it refunds automatically about 75% of the time. The other 25% we just cut the check. Hope this helps!

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘18 Pacifica PHEV, ‘22 RR Premium 4X
Country flag
Ford sent a letter to all the dealerships in late July or August with those requirements. I was talking to the GM at my local dealer about it a few weeks ago.
My dealer had me text him a copy of my DL to verify the order was for a real person. This was October of 21.

WNKent

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CR1 4X
Occupation
Airline
Country flag
The dealership will need a copy of your driver license to prove it is a customer order and not a dealer order cars to try to stock their lots. The deposit part sounds off. I would question that heavily. If they insist on refunding the online deposit make them cut a check on the spot. They have the ability.
I asked my dealer if they needed my ID, they said nope, we will get it when you come in to pick up the car. I'd give Ford a call, something does not sound right.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Website Order Dealership wants me to come in Ford phone number

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
I asked my dealer if they needed my ID, they said nope, we will get it when you come in to pick up the car. I'd give Ford a call, something does not sound right.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Website Order Dealership wants me to come in Ford phone number
Same here - I have 2 reservations / orders with Ford (F150 Lightning and MME) - both times Ford took my money.

Dealer said they would contact me once the vehicle arrives.

Just wished my F150L would come to fruition instead of a year long wait it has been....

At least my MME will be built sooner...
Ford Mustang Mach-E Website Order Dealership wants me to come in Screen Shot 2022-04-10 at 8.09.08 AM
Sponsored