Weird order experience

ppm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E
Country flag
So I'm ready to order a custom build MME and reaching out to dealers in NJ, telling them that I'm ready to order and pay them the deposit (no x-plan) but it seems like they don't really care about placing the order and selling the car. I almost feel like they actually don't want me to order the car from them. I've never had an experience with a car dealership, or any other, salesperson that is so slow with completing the order and it just keeps dragging for days. I thought maybe it was a specific person in one dealership so I reached out to a couple more and exactly the same thing, I feel like I'm the one that is chasing them to sell me a $50K car and it's not that they're super busy selling cars in the lot, each time I call they're available over the phone and not rushing.
Anyone else had such a bizzare, I would say, experience in NJ or elsewhere?
Is there a chance that they don't make much profit from selling custom order MME so they don't really care dealing with it?
Sponsored

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
Is there another Ford dealership around you? Stay away from this one if you can...

Jeffvisor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So I'm ready to order a custom build MME and reaching out to dealers in NJ, telling them that I'm ready to order and pay them the deposit (no x-plan) but it seems like they don't really care about placing the order and selling the car. I almost feel like they actually don't want me to order the car from them. I've never had an experience with a car dealership, or any other, salesperson that is so slow with completing the order and it just keeps dragging for days. I thought maybe it was a specific person in one dealership so I reached out to a couple more and exactly the same thing, I feel like I'm the one that is chasing them to sell me a $50K car and it's not that they're super busy selling cars in the lot, each time I call they're available over the phone and not rushing.
Is there a chance that they don't make much profit from selling custom order MME so they don't really care dealing with it?
I went online ordered the car picked a dealer paid the deposit and only talked to the dealer a few days later to confirm they received the order and placed it with Ford. It seems Ford wants it done online. Pick a dealer with no or small ADM online that is close to you. Dealers are less involved in the order process and only become involved during delivery.

OP
OP

ppm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E
Country flag
Is there another Ford dealership around you? Stay away from this one if you can...
Three different dealerships, same exact experience.

Yes, Ford built a very nice EV but the annoying buying experience really makes me rethink if I should just go and order a Tesla. I wasted so far so much time chasing dealership sales people that in a fraction of this time I could have an order for Tesla whithout worrying about price markups at delivery, not refunding the deposit and all the other bullsh*t, ugh ?

jjhenry

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT, '69 Chevy C20, '99 Rodeo, '09 Vespa
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Be aware that Ford is not taking Mach-E orders this month because they are switching from the 2021 to 2022 model years. I believe 2022 ordering opens up on Sept 27.

OP
OP

ppm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E
Country flag
I went online ordered the car picked a dealer paid the deposit and only talked to the dealer a few days later to confirm they received the order and placed it with Ford. It seems Ford wants it done online. Pick a dealer with no or small ADM online that is close to you. Dealers are less involved in the order process and only become involved during delivery.
If I understand correctly, you don't order directly from Ford, all it does when you fill the online form is sending this information to the dealer you chose and then the dealer has to put a real order for the car. But if you don't speak with the dealer ahead then you don't have any confirmation in writing from them that there is no ADM, the fees that they charge, etc. and you can be surpised and not in a good way at the delivery

OP
OP

ppm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E
Country flag
Be aware that Ford is not taking Mach-E orders this month because they are switching from the 2021 to 2022 model years. I believe 2022 ordering opens up on Sept 27.
Aha! So this might be the reason, maybe the dealers don't want to tell me that so I won't go looking for other cars instead of waiting so they just drag it as much as they can

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Could you name the dealers??, might help us direct you to an improvement

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
It's odd, I actually went to my local dealer to order with them. They asked me to log on to the ford.com site while I was there, order and place the deposit online, couple days later got the confirmation email from ford that order was accepted. GM at the dealership texted me to double check all that I ordered before they confirmed it. and all went well from there. 17 weeks later the car came.

OP
OP

ppm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E
Country flag
Actually when I think about it what kind of business decision is that not taking orders?
It's not that I expect to get the car a few days after the order so what is the problem to start taking 2022 orders now?
I can't see any logic in having a period of "not taking orders" o_O

gafear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Actually when I think about it what kind of business decision is that not taking orders?
It's not that I expect to get the car a few days after the order so what is the problem to start taking 2022 orders now?

My guess: the order will be for a model that is different than the one advertised and the one you are paying for with the deposit. If for some reason one of the new features is worse than the 2021 model you could sue Ford for false advertising

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Not all dealers are Ford EV certified. They may not be allowed to take an order.

I'd wait til the EOM and order a '22. Then hunt around to find a cancelled order. Our dealer found 2 for my wife and I and our ordered cars aren't even scheduled for production yet.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
As far as I can tell I'm still able to place an order via Ford.com. Selecting your preferred dealership at the end will give you the breakdown of pricing, including whether there's any ADM...

Ford Mustang Mach-E Weird order experience 1631129554159

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
But if you don't speak with the dealer ahead then you don't have any confirmation in writing from them that there is no ADM, the fees that they charge, etc. and you can be surpised and not in a good way at the delivery
This is incorrect. See methorian's screentshot. The price you get online is firm and will include ADM depending on the dealer you select.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
This is incorrect. See methorian's screentshot. The price you get online is firm and will include ADM depending on the dealer you select.
This.

Ford's been pretty aggressive about dealerships not honoring their listed pricing on Ford.com for Mach-E orders.
Sponsored