Well It's Been Fun - Ford Just Pulled My Car Back to Factory **UPDATE 3** 3-4-21

Bdunn

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Explorer XLT, 2018 Ecosport Titanium,
Occupation
Aviation Consultant
Country flag
**UPDATE 1 - Dealer called me this am. They are escalating to find out what is going on. Told me they had another car come in that had the same directive from Ford 'Do not sell, return to factory'. Then, two days later, got the ok to sell. So they are now trying to find out from Ford wth is going on.
In the meantime, I'm trying to get answers from Ford. So I'll keep this post updated. Thanks everyone for the well wishes and offers of help.

---------

I happened to check Ford Tracking since my arrival date was 2/27. Apparently my Grabber Blue FE came in Wed. 2/24. Dealer did not contact me which I thought was bizarre. I called and spoke with the sales guy and he told me the car has to go back to the factory. He said Ford contacted them not to sell the car but gave no explanation and he had no details as to why.

I called Ford customer service and they looked up VIN, no details. They made some calls but could get no information other than yes, car had to go back to the factory.

It's odd because my build date was somewhat late. 1/25/21. But I guess there is a major issue. Bad enough it can't be fixed at the dealership. Car is still sitting there so who knows when it will make it back, how long to fix, how long to get back, etc.

I can't wait any longer so another EV it will be for me. Disappointed but what are ya going to do?

This forum has been absolutely great. Lots of awesome people here. Enjoy your MachEs!
Just curious ... what are th elast 5 digits of your VIN?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Maric

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I'll probably call the dealer tomorrow, but my tracking doesn't say delivered yet. I suspect they just need to update my ETA, but you may be right about some weird new stop ship or whatever they want to call it. Checking the website for the Sunnyvale dealer I see they have 8 "available," but not mine. I did see a GB FE though ;) . I'm assuming most are awaiting their customers, but the red FE I looked at a week ago that was available is still there.

Thanks for the kind wishes, I hope you get some answers at least. Moving on to that other car brings up the issue of potential new tax credits in a few months (been thinking about that myself) and the rest of the potential problems well known on this forum.
Yeah. You know I don't dislike Tesla. But after the MachE drama yesterday, I was not excited to go configure a 3 or Y LR. I really like the MachE and where I live in a sea of Teslas it would be nice to drive something different. I really hope Ford has all hands on deck to get these issues resolved and reliable cars in customer's garages. I'm not interested in any of the VWs, Bolt, Leaf, etc. I want a sporty EV and not many choices are affordable. So we'll see what happens. If Telsa get's the $7K tax credit as rumored and the MachE issues are not resolved then I'm really going to be forced to make a decision.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
This is discouraging. My mach e is supposed to arrive at the dealer between Mar 6 and 12. Now I’m inclined to turn it down and wait for a 2022. I’m in no rush. In fact, anything over MSRP is going to be my cue to walk out and wait for a more kink-free version.
You still would not /should not paying over MSRP even if you stick with your reservation. Why do think you will be paying over MSRP - did you check if your dealer is charging ADM over MSRP when you ordered. If they agreed to no ADM then it should be mSRP and if you are going to Xplan then it should even lower than MSRP by few hundred.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
My dealer saw mine was also clear on Thursday. However Friday morning Ford issued a stop ship until software was updated.
Glad they did tell you that - this is what worries me - no fault of anyone but expansion from original VIN list for any of these FSBs probably not being timely.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
See if your dealer can do a search for the vehicle you want, then a dealer trade to get it. Sometimes, that will work.

Also, tbh, if I WERE to walk away from my Mustang Mach E (which is still in some quantum state yet, since it hasn't been observed, so it's wave function hasn't collapsed :D ), I'd likely go with the VW ID.4 After all, VW (through both Audi and Porsche) have begun to figure out the whole EV thing out a bit while Ford has mostly been doing hybrids until now (I don't found the Ford Focus Electric - that was a compliance vehicle for California as far as I can tell).

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
I'm in the same situation. A sea of Teslas here that I ended up cancelling our M3 order when they revealed the MME, losing $100 in the process, but the Tesla was no longer exciting after waiting so long for them to get the configuration we wanted. (We made a reservation shortly after the M3 was revealed.)

I see the teslas coming out of the factory with plastic completely covering the front and back, not sitting in KC for over a month and I get curious again, but I really prefer the MME and have sentimental reasons for choosing the pony too.

There really aren't a lot of choices for me, it's either the MME or Y- just can't see paying the price for the I-Pace, Polestar is Android Auto (pricier too), and the rest have leather somewhere.

OT: Adding Tesla back to the $7k situation really has the potential to shake up prices, although I know they will increase some in response, but maybe Ford will have to increase incentives or decrease the price some in response too. The longer the wait the more complex the situation becomes.

Yeah. You know I don't dislike Tesla. But after the MachE drama yesterday, I was not excited to go configure a 3 or Y LR. I really like the MachE and where I live in a sea of Teslas it would be nice to drive something different. I really hope Ford has all hands on deck to get these issues resolved and reliable cars in customer's garages. I'm not interested in any of the VWs, Bolt, Leaf, etc. I want a sporty EV and not many choices that are affordable. So we'll see what happens. If Telsa get's the $7K tax credit as rumored and the MachE issues are not resolved then I'll really going to be forced to make a decision.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
It does. I had thrown in the towel but I'm invested in finding out what's up. I was surprised to hear from the dealer this AM and that they have the President of the dealership trying to get answers.

In the meantime I'm hitting up Ford on Twitter to try and get answers on my end. Somewhere in between I should be able to report back some details on what exactly the issue is.
Glad you are persistence - nothing to do right now than to persevere I guess to get some answers - even if you get the car you should be sure its all OK and they are not not bending to the pressure and giving you a car with issues. Atleast they should say XYZ issues, take it with that risk and we will fix them in a month etc and its your choice

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
**UPDATE 1 - Dealer called me this am. They are escalating to find out what is going on. Told me they had another car come in that had the same directive from Ford 'Do not sell, return to factory'. Then, two days later, got the ok to sell. So they are now trying to find out from Ford wth is going on.
In the meantime, I'm trying to get answers from Ford. So I'll keep this post updated. Thanks everyone for the well wishes and offers of help.
It makes no sense Ford wants these cars return to the factory - if its these two , I am sure there are more in this bucket and Ford knows this is not a tenable situation. Unless the HVB is bad or serious hazard potential exists, most issues can be fixed in the US perhaps at a Ford center.

Hang in there - its hard but there should be another solution than send it back

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Unless the HVB is bad or serious hazard potential exists, most issues can be fixed in the US perhaps at a Ford center.
Even an HVB can be replaced at the dealer, so I don't see how even that would warrant a trip back to the factory. And the fact that there was another one at the dealer that had a serious enough issue to warrant the same order, but then wasn't serious enough that they got the okay to sell it two days later makes even less sense. There's a big piece to this puzzle that we're missing.

bruceski88

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Mine was also supposed to be delivered today to Sunnyvale so looks like I might be in the same situation. Dealer basically refuses to get me VV or further info since the build date of 12/10.

The car was in KC for over a month.

With help from a member of the forum I be could see the car was crossing through New Mexico a few days ago, nothing has changed on eta with Ford, still end date 2/27.
There were 4 Mach-es at Sunnyvale Ford on Thursday morning. 2 Grabber blue and 2 Rapid Red. No window stickers

NoMoShocks

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier EV, 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander GT PHEV
Occupation
Electrical product safety engineer
Country flag
FWIW, mine was built Jan 16, I picked it up Thursday (2/25). Dealer checked my VIN in OASIS and it's clear. So far, so good. (knocks wood)
Congratulations! February 25 was the day I hoped mine would arrive, my birthday. It is now scheduled to arrive between March 27 to March 31, but I am hoping it will dodge the issues and arrive mid March.

srogers

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Mach E, Premium, 2021
Country flag
My Dealer is Towne Ford too. What was your build date? We’re you tracking on Palsapp? Did it go to KC? Just curious because mine is getting close.
My car is scheduled to arrive at Towne Ford by March 3. It was in Kansas City on February 13. I checked with Towne Ford today, and this is their reply:

"Looks like that is what I see on my end, but unfortunatly I do not see any update from Ford since last month.​
I will have to check on that again next week to see what the true update is."​
Hopefully, it arrives next week.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
My car is scheduled to arrive at Towne Ford by March 3. It was in Kansas City on February 13. I checked with Towne Ford today, and this is their reply:

"Looks like that is what I see on my end, but unfortunatly I do not see any update from Ford since last month.​
I had the same issue with Ford systems not updating but at least pals app did so I knew when it was in KC but Ford systems did not. It did arrive exactly 14 days from landing in KC. Your should still arrive close to the ETA even with all the weather issues.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
There really aren't a lot of choices for me, it's either the MME or Y- just can't see paying the price for the I-Pace, Polestar is Android Auto (pricier too), and the rest have leather somewhere.
YEs , for now... But by the end of this year, and heading into 2022, there will be tons of choices and hopefully ones with better batteries and range as well. Both Tesla and Ford must be aware of this and really need to step up their games to keep their market shares in the face of what is coming down the pike. Especially Tesla. They will no longer be the only game in town, as they pretty much have been for a few years now.

Karizzmma

First Name
Kari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium 4x
Occupation
Sales
Country flag

Fi
Begets crossed! My arrival dates are 3/17-3/21.
Sponsored