Well It's Been Fun - Ford Just Pulled My Car Back to Factory **UPDATE 3** 3-4-21

Mach Daddy

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Land Rover Discovery, F-150 Lightnin
Country flag
...or think of it this way. Tesla would have totally sold you that vehicle and fixed it later with an OTA update :p
Sponsored

NoMoShocks

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier EV, 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander GT PHEV
Occupation
Electrical product safety engineer
Country flag
That’s a big part of it. My lease ended in December. I almost gave up then but stuck it out. But now it’s really an issue not having a car and I can’t give Ford the benefit of the doubt without knowing when I’ll actually get the car
This is the craziest story I have heard in a while. Good customer service would have been put you first in line for next available Grabber Blue FE, locate one they could move from another dealer, or at least offer you a great deal on a Premium within two weeks or so.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
Yea, completely unacceptable. Best wishes on how you proceed, and understandable how you might want to just move on, not to mention need to. Just so much time and energy spent on a car purchase to end this way.

They just blew it here. If an order was waited on for this long, then turns out defective you expedite another one, or locate one if that simply isn't possible, or apologize at least.

I’m more angry with the dealer than anything, This is the second major issue since I placed an order for the car. The first issue was resolved by a Ford Officer I miraculously got a hold of (who is very well known) because the dealer blew it placing my order. I don’t mind being an early adopter. But the absolutely terrible customer service combined with the car arriving and being yanked is just kind of all I can take.

Hplbiking

First Name
Hugo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e
Occupation
Emgineer
Country flag
Believe it or not it could be worse. Another customer had hers for a week when she got the dreaded Stop safely now warning. Dealer says there are over 20 errors and they will be taking the car apart to try and find the issue. No clue on the fix. Took ford 5 months to replace the battery in my focus electric.

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
This morning, my dealer informed me that there was a big software update and Ford had issued a Stop Ship for many Mach-E's not yet delivered (mine was in the date range of concern, built Jan 8) until the update was installed. The service dept did the update all morning with some testing (put 8 more miles on it), then called me. My CaRt1 had been in the shop since yesterday (no A/C when I went to pick it up yesterday), they gave me their FCTP car as a loaner overnight (in 5 days of test drives, it already had 450+ miles on it). All worked great on the drive home this afternoon with my new Ruby. And, it drove nicer than the loaner had (better pedal mapping?), and the A/C worked perfect. Don't know what all the software update covered, but something about the screens looked different, too. Will see if everything is still working tomorrow, planning to take a bit of a drive. By the way, Palsap still shows it at the Muncie Ramp since Feb 6, waiting... But, I checked the VIN, and it is my car in my SoCal driveway.

@Maric, so sorry to hear your decision, but not surprised you made it. Have you considered looking at the new Bolt EUV?

SteveUk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache with crap keys
Country flag
Sorry to read of your experience, I hope you eventually get the car of your dreams. Good luck.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I happened to check Ford Tracking since my arrival date was 2/27. Apparently my Grabber Blue FE came in Wed. 2/24. Dealer did not contact me which I thought was bizarre. I called and spoke with the sales guy and he told me the car has to go back to the factory. He said Ford contacted them not to sell the car but gave no explanation and he had no details as to why.

I called Ford customer service and they looked up VIN, no details. They made some calls but could get no information other than yes, car had to go back to the factory.

It's odd because my build date was somewhat late. 1/25/21. But I guess there is a major issue. Bad enough it can't be fixed at the dealership. Car is still sitting there so who knows when it will make it back, how long to fix, how long to get back, etc.

I can't wait any longer so another EV it will be for me. Disappointed but what are ya going to do?

This forum has been absolutely great. Lots of awesome people here. Enjoy your MachEs!
Wow. Really sorry to hear that.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
That really sucks, I’m sorry. I understand your situation and need of a car. Don’t take it personally when I flip you the bird on the road, it will be at the Tesla, not the driver

GoosePond08

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
Will be keeping an eye on build dates from late Jan and early Feb to see if this is the start of continued delays.

Worrysome since the impact for some of these issues look to go beyond those December or earlier builds.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I happened to check Ford Tracking since my arrival date was 2/27. Apparently my Grabber Blue FE came in Wed. 2/24. Dealer did not contact me which I thought was bizarre. I called and spoke with the sales guy and he told me the car has to go back to the factory. He said Ford contacted them not to sell the car but gave no explanation and he had no details as to why...

I can't wait any longer so another EV it will be for me. Disappointed but what are ya going to do?

This forum has been absolutely great. Lots of awesome people here. Enjoy your MachEs!
Oh man, that stinks! There's a backlog on some other EVs too, including the obvious one. I suppose you could put down a $100 deposit and see which car makes it to you first.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Will be keeping an eye on build dates from late Jan and early Feb to see if this is the start of continued delays.
FWIW, mine was built Jan 16, I picked it up Thursday (2/25). Dealer checked my VIN in OASIS and it's clear. So far, so good. (knocks wood)

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
FWIW, mine was built Jan 16, I picked it up Thursday (2/25). Dealer checked my VIN in OASIS and it's clear. So far, so good. (knocks wood)
My dealer saw mine was also clear on Thursday. However Friday morning Ford issued a stop ship until software was updated.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
The more I think about this, the less sense it makes. Ford really owes you more of an explanation. Is there any escalation path at Ford other than tweeting executives?