What’s changed after yesterday’s stop sale / recall announcement

Brian707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Mustang Mach E Premium AWD EXT
Country flag
Fear is they're going to continue with these over the air updates and they're gonna start crippling the performance of the vehicle and if so maybe it's time to start a class action lawsuit.

Oh great, so in 7 years when the class action lawsuit is settled we will each get about $37.42 .

People just love to throw out the class action lawsuit argument out there
Sponsored

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
So we're like, why isn't Ford telling us about this? File with the NHTSA! Ford needs to communicate?

Now Ford communicates and says more to come and we're like, WTH why isn't this fixed yesterday? What is the fix? OMG Class Action Legal Frenzy!

I was under the impression we are 'early adopters', only 4% of all vehicles sold in the US last year, along with the very first model year of a vehicle is bound to have glitches. Ford is taking care of affected owners with loaners and they will get this taken care of.

We are disappointed that our 2nd Mach E is on a No Sale Hold at the dealer so we only have one, but hey, stuff happens.

ohmslaw

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander, Toyota Rav-4, Mach-e (on order)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
My question is why can't this part be close to an opening or designed for easy replacement if they fail?
Contactors should be as close to the voltage source as possible; they are a safety part. They absolutely need to be embedded in the pack for safety reasons. Now; with that being said. The engineers could always design a system that allows for easier access into the pack without having to drop it. That would be added design and build cost; for something that should outlast the battery modules. Unfortunately the part was either improperly spec’d or the manufacturer is not meeting the spec; which leads to situations like this.

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
Looking back at Tesla, they had a similar issues from 2015 -2021. While also a Low number of occurrences, still have them.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/simple-solution-for-the-p85d-contactor-problem.52017/

This link below discusses Contactors 'In Great Depth' it appears their job is hazardous and difficult to begin with but they are necessary.

https://chargedevs.com/features/a-closer-look-at-contactors/

a quick internet search comes up will all kind of EV contactor 'deaths' in the line of duty.

My question is why can't this part be close to an opening or designed for easy replacement if they fail?
Same reason they hid the 12 V battery under all that Frunk plastic. It’s the first time they ever designed an electric car and they just didn’t know what was really important. The cheesy little 12 V hidden battery that you can’t get to and cheap electric contacts apparently are part of the issue Quality always matters
Jes Sayin. Fix it FMC.

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD (ordered), 2018 Tesla M3
Country flag

MonorailGold

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Fusion Hybrid. 2022 MME CR1 on order
Country flag
My MME is 'scheduled' to be built the week of 4 July. I'm preparing myself for a likely delay in that. What's another month or two at this point?

bs1055

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Eng/M&A
Country flag
IMO, we should try to limit DCFC (use level 1 and 2 charging instead) and 'wide pedal events' (pedal to the metal as they say), based on reading the recall notice. Other than those 2 items, should be able to operate the vehicle as usual.
I plan to do neither of these. Enjoy your cars.

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
Same reason they hid the 12 V battery under all that Frunk plastic. It’s the first time they ever designed an electric car and they just didn’t know what was really important. The cheesy little 12 V hidden battery that you can’t get to and cheap electric contacts apparently are part of the issue Quality always matters
Jes Sayin. Fix it FMC.
Did you read the part about Tesla having the same issues? There contacts are also in the Battery Pack.

A little more research you would've seen Ford's first electric attempt was in 1914 but battery tech didn't work out. Woman loved it as you didn't have to Crank Start it.
In 1998-2003 Ford's Ranger, $53k electric version. They only sold 1,500 as price was too high.
Then the Focus EV in 2012 sold 9,300 of them.

They got this.
"Jes saying" 👍

MachSimbaaa

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E GT
Country flag
IMO, we should try to limit DCFC (use level 1 and 2 charging instead) and 'wide pedal events' (pedal to the metal as they say), based on reading the recall notice. Other than those 2 items, should be able to operate the vehicle as usual.
I’m at 9600 mi on my 21’ GT nothing has happened so far and I open pedal a lot too

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
Did you read the part about Tesla having the same issues? There contacts are also in the Battery Pack.

A little more research you would've seen Ford's first electric attempt was in 1914 but battery tech didn't work out. Woman loved it as you didn't have to Crank Start it.
In 1998-2003 Ford's Ranger, $53k electric version. They only sold 1,500 as price was too high.

They got this.
"Jes saying" 👍
LOL I had 2 Mach e’s a premium and a GT already brick due to this concern and I don’t think they were even entered in the database

I also have two more on order they can’t build for me

I’m a big fan of the car but let’s be honest it has some issues some real issues. I don’t see the plaid Teslas limiting performance

They have some catching up to do and they made some big mistakes I’m not a fan boy on this forum I’m just an honest poster
The only reason I have two more on order is I made 10 grand on each of the two I bricked
So while it’s not a reliable vehicle there’s profit in it so I’m fine
By the way how many have you owned
Jes sayin

khorton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CR-V, Tesla Model S. Interested in Mach-E
Country flag

They got this.
"Jes saying" 👍
Perhaps the high voltage contactor on the Model S and X were in the battery pack, but not so for the Model 3 and Model Y. The high voltage contactor on the Model 3 and Y is in a module that is below the rear seat, making access relatively easy if needed. If the high voltage contactor welds closed on a Model 3 or Y, there is a pyro fuse that can be blown by the controller to disconnect the battery from the rest of the car if needed.

SignMD

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e GTPE, 2023 BMW iX
Country flag
I plan on using my Audi e-tron charger which has an option to charge at 50% versus 100. Actually at my last Audi service they put a sticker on saying that's a recommended level if possible. Does anyone know if the Ford charger does this?

gbabes66

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting for MME, Premium AWD, ER
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
From https://chargedevs.com/features/a-closer-look-at-contactors/

"Lastly, contactors tend to be one of the least reliable components in any high-power system because they are electromechanical devices with a difficult job to do. Unfortunately, there isn’t really a good “solid state” alternative, to use a term from a bygone era when transistors first started to replace vacuum tubes. This is because no semiconductor switch can truly replicate an open circuit when turned off (some leakage current will always flow), and even though contactors can fail by welding closed, this is a much less frequent failure mode than it is with semiconductor switches. Finally, the semi in semiconductors means that they exhibit a higher bulk resistivity than even the most resistive metal conductor, so they simply can’t handle as much peak power as a mechanical switch of equivalent area. As much as engineers like to grouse about contactors, it appears they will be with us for quite some time to come."

Great article. I didn't really understand it until this last paragraph. Sounds like a switch.
Sponsored