What’s happening with EV charging on the Mass Pike??

mattbostonmache

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
Country flag
I was driving home on the Mass Pike on Sunday and I stopped at the rest area gas station in Framingham/Natick to pick up some wiper fluid. Low and behold there was an EVGo station. Only one box but two parking spots. One plug was chademo though. Well, it wasn’t even turned on. It looks abandoned. It’s not on the EVGo app or PlugShare.

According to this article, two of the six chargers on the Pike have been out of commission for over a year.

https://www.wwlp.com/news/massachusetts/senators-want-mass-pike-ev-chargers-fixed/amp/

Now, granted they were probably terrible 50kW units. But they were something.

Anyone have news of plans for replacing these? Any faster chargers coming? 🤞
Sponsored

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
Someone posted this in the general charging category recently.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/new-fast-charging-stations-in-ct.19058/

The map is hard to make sense of, but looks like the planned mass pike locations are westbound only, just like some of the CT options are southbound only?
So they’ve got you covered on the outbound, but on your own for getting back home I guess.

Anyone know why does Mass still have the per minute pricing rules? Seems like most states have gone to kW pricing, which makes sense.

OP
OP
mattbostonmache

mattbostonmache

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
Country flag
I morally support per kWh pricing. But my experience in warmer summer temps is that per minute is half the price I would have been charged at the member+ rate.

A week ago I charged 26kWh in 17 min (to 78%). It cost me $4.08 at $0.24/min.

The pass+ rate of $0.31/kWh would have been $8.06.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
I morally support per kWh pricing. But my experience in warmer summer temps is that per minute is half the price I would have been charged at the member+ rate.
Oh, for sure the newer EVs can come out way ahead on the per min pricing currently.
But, from the perspective of trying to get more companies to invest in charger infrastructure and put 10 units at every service plaza on the pike, I see why they aren’t rushing into the per min pricing situation.

BostonPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium ER / AWD Built 12/21
Country flag
I live right next to the Pike and heard the chargers were basically not worth it. The only EA's that I know of are at the Auburn Mall which I've charged at recently and then you are looking at what Burlington, MA which I've had hit or miss luck with.

I also love the Per Minute Charging as its cheaper than I pay at home (almost 25¢/kWh) I always make out way better. That said per kWh at least gives the providers the incentive to keep their equipment working / no chance of shady slowing charging down for more mins charging. I think this is the desired model by most providers, it is just that some states don't allow the resale of power thus the Per Min. This might change over time but who knows these days.
Sponsored