What’s the double honk?

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I’ve been doing some door to door recently where I’m getting in and out of the vehicle frequently. I leave the car on, with my phone for PAAK in the car. Sometimes I’ll drive a short distance to a new set of doors. Anyway, maybe once every couple of times getting back in the car it gives me a quick double honk. What is that? Can it be disabled?
Sponsored

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Its the notification that you have left your "key" in the car. Almost all cars will do something like that.

I don't believe there is any way to turn it off. I find it annoying as well if I want to run in and leave my HVAC running. Last thing I want to do is announce to everyone within ear shot my I have left my "key" in the car with it running.

jojomontag

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Mine only does that when it says no key is detected while using PaaK. I hate it, especially because I start the car with PaaK, back out, and get it to lock the gate.

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
It's if you exit the car with it still ON and your key is with you.
This is what my ICE Mustang does. If I have my fob in my pocket and get out and shut the door with the car running, it honks twice. Driver or passenger door will do it. I've always thought it was redundant with that V8 rumbling...with a EV it makes more sense to let you know that you left the car "on".

OP
OP
Mirak

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So the irony is that it only gives me the double honk when I return to the car, open the door, and sit down. So in addition to being annoying it doesn’t even work right.

bballpirate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
So the irony is that it only gives me the double honk when I return to the car, open the door, and sit down. So in addition to being annoying it doesn’t even work right.
I get it when I back out of the garage and my wife gets in the car. Why the passenger doors trigger it, I don’t know.

iankellogg

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus ES 300h, Red Mach E XR AWD
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
mine does it every time someone opens the passenger door. even with the phone sitting in the charging tray.

KlueBat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E AWD Premium, 2021 Mustang GT
Country flag
I'm not sure if you can do it on the Mach E, but it is very common for Focus ST owners to disable the double honk using FORScan.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Its just that it hasn't detected your phone back when the door closes, so it honks.

There usually is a way to disable this with forscan editing the asbuilt data. However, I don't know what value to change on this car yet to make it stop.

This is one of the first things I have disabled on every other Ford vehicle I've had.

OP
OP
Mirak

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Its just that it hasn't detected your phone back when the door closes, so it honks.

There usually is a way to disable this with forscan editing the asbuilt data. However, I don't know what value to change on this car yet to make it stop.

This is one of the first things I have disabled on every other Ford vehicle I've had.
The weird thing is that the phone never leaves the car. I just leave it sitting in the tray the whole time.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
The weird thing is that the phone never leaves the car. I just leave it sitting in the tray the whole time.
I know in my car, as soon as android auto starts and fully connects, I then get the No Key Detected screen. AA overrides the PAAK bluetooth connection.

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
that's odd, I only get the double honk when exiting the car if it's still powered up.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Its the notification that you have left your "key" in the car. Almost all cars will do something like that.

I don't believe there is any way to turn it off. I find it annoying as well if I want to run in and leave my HVAC running. Last thing I want to do is announce to everyone within ear shot my I have left my "key" in the car with it running.
You can turn off both the "key" setting and the engine on double honk in settings. I've turned off the key setting and left the engine on notification, just to be safe since its obviously super quiet and easy to do!

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Perhaps it's to alert you to the fact that 'someone' has gotten into your running car. Parents with pre-common sense children may appreciate being able to hear this if/when they are out of sight of the car - warming it up in the driveway for instance.

It should have an on/off control though.

Of course if you've left your car with the key in it and it's running.... don't tell us that we and your car didn't warn you.

Some states have laws barring this practice.
Sponsored

Last edited: