fallguy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender, 1968 Mustang, 2021 Mach-E GT
Occupation
Federal
Country flag
It's one of the idiotic nanny "features" of the Mach-E. We're not grown enough to know the vehicle is on. There are several other things it does. Ford is not alone in this.
Sponsored

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
You can turn off both the "key" setting and the engine on double honk in settings. I've turned off the key setting and left the engine on notification, just to be safe since its obviously super quiet and easy to do!
Oh really... Guess I need to dig though the settings again. I have the car setup so it will auto shut off after 15 minutes. So I don't really need the honking to tell me the car is on. Even if I forget, although I don't see how you could, to turn off the car it will shut its self down.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Oh really... Guess I need to dig though the settings again. I have the car setup so it will auto shut off after 15 minutes. So I don't really need the honking to tell me the car is on. Even if I forget, although I don't see how you could, to turn off the car it will shut its self down.
You don't see how you can forget to turn off a completely silent car? If you're on a phone call, kids are screaming in the back seat, its easy to get distracted.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
You don't see how you can forget to turn off a completely silent car? If you're on a phone call, kids are screaming in the back seat, its easy to get distracted.
It might be completely silent, but there is a dash full of displays. It’s pretty obvious if the car is on, not to mention you will get a “door ajar” notification if you open the door with it on. I have forgotten to put it in park a hand full of times, but never forgotten to turn it off.

OP
OP
Mirak

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I haven’t been able to follow this thread closely, but if someone knows a way to disable the “double honk” please let me know.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
For those of you complaining that this is a "Mach-E issue", you're flat out wrong. Ford has had the double honk for many years on their vehicles. Leave the vehicle running, get out with the fob - double honk.

If you want to eliminate the double honk when you get out and leave it running, you can leave your phone (with PAAK) or your fob in the car. Of course, then anyone can simply drive it away. You can lock the vehicle with the keypad.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
If you want to eliminate the double honk when you get out and leave it running, you can leave your phone (with PAAK) or your fob in the car. Of course, then anyone can simply drive it away. You can lock the vehicle with the keypad.
Thats not fully accurate either. If you are using PAAK, and you leave the car even with the phone in it, there is a chance it isn't currently reading the phone and will honk. That is what OP is describing. When my AndroidAuto connects, PAAK disconnects, I get the no key detected screen. But the car works fine. But if I open and close a door, double horn honk because no key detected.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Thats not fully accurate either. If you are using PAAK, and you leave the car even with the phone in it, there is a chance it isn't currently reading the phone and will honk. That is what OP is describing. When my AndroidAuto connects, PAAK disconnects, I get the no key detected screen. But the car works fine. But if I open and close a door, double horn honk because no key detected.
That's a flaw in how PAAK works, as you know. If PAAK isn't working, then the car shouldn't start (without the passphrase). If it starts, then PAAK should stay connected, and thus the vehicle should not beep as you get out of it running, since the PAAK "key" should be detected.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
That's a flaw in how PAAK works, as you know. If PAAK isn't working, then the car shouldn't start (without the passphrase). If it starts, then PAAK should stay connected, and thus the vehicle should not beep as you get out of it running, since the PAAK "key" should be detected.
Yeah, thats how it is SUPPOSED to work. But it doesn't. Even with the PAAK update.

bballpirate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
For those of you complaining that this is a "Mach-E issue", you're flat out wrong. Ford has had the double honk for many years on their vehicles. Leave the vehicle running, get out with the fob - double honk.

That may be how it’s supposed to work but in reality I can open my door and start my car with Paak but then get no key detected about 40 percent of the time. Also I get the double honk if a passenger door opens when no key is detected while I am sitting in the drivers seat with the phone. The double honk isn’t the problem. It’s Paak that can’t keep a connection and causing the double honk when it’s not supposed to. I’ve even gotten the no key detected warning with the fob once.

Last edited:

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
My Mazda did the same thing.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Lexus IS300 autox/track car.
Country flag
I understand the ”your car is running” warning…lots of cars do that. But I get the double honk randomly when the hatch closes and the car is off & unlocked. The hatch also frequently fails to close if I hit the close button and then walk toward the driver door. I have used PAAK exclusively for months.
Sponsored