What are peoples' plans for front license plates?

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
It's dependent on income level, my only option is the sticker. Looks like they have not released the next color for the stickers (Orange this year; they have used green, white, red, yellow, purple, now orange, so next maybe blue?)

• If you purchased your vehicle on or after January 1, 2018, a CAV decal cannot be issued to you if you have received a consumer rebate through the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project (CVRP), unless you meet specified gross annual income requirements. If your gross annual income is above specified thresholds, you may have to choose between a CAV decal and a CVRP rebate.
sticker only:

AT or ABOVE
– $150,000 for single filers
– $204,000 for head-of-household
– $300,000 for joint filers

both:

UNDER:
– $150,000 for single filers
– $204,000 for head-of-household
– $300,000 for joint filers
Clean Air Vehicle Program
AND
Clean Vehicle Rebate Project

Vehicle Purchaser or Lessee:

• Rebate limits were reduced from 2 rebates to 1 rebate per any single entity for individual and business applicants for the life of the program. This is not applied retroactively. Applicants who have not already met their rebate limit prior to December 3, 2019, are eligible for one additional rebate after December 3rd, 2019. Those that have already met their two-rebate limit are ineligible for an additional rebate.
  • Applicants need to submit applications within 3 months of the vehicle purchase or lease date (post purchase applications only). This was reduced from an 18-month timeframe. Vehicles purchased or leased prior to December 3rd, 2019 have an 18-month eligibility window in which to submit an application.

An MSRP cap of $60,000 was instituted on all vehicles with the exception of fuel cell electric vehicles.

Not sure how accurate or true, someone told me we have to choose HOV sticker OR state tax credit. Been trying to look that up but can't find any references.
Sponsored

Last edited:

mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E '21, Premium Mach-E '22
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Thanks @VegStang for the info. Would have prefer the over 300k to have a choice. I rather have cash than the sticker.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Yea, I understand. I think the reasoning was they wanted to allow people with high(er) incomes to get a sticker if wanted, but that they didn't "need" the rebate (when they wanted to reduce the costs associated with the program back in 2017/8.) There were a lot of people grumbling when Model X/S buyers were getting subsidized, yet could obviously afford a $100k car. The $60k cap on MSRP would take care of much of that issue however without the means test on income.

Thanks @VegStang for the info. Would have prefer the over 300k to have a choice. I rather have cash than the sticker.

Last edited:

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

Daraiders76

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Premium, 2008 Acura MDX, 2002 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
I will go without the front license plate. I'm in California, have never received a no front license plate ticket. If they come from the factory I will remove it. If they are dealer mounted, I already emailed my dealership and asked them not to mount the front license plate.

supertramp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Honda Pilot,2012 Honda Civic,Premium std rwd
Country flag
I will go without the front license plate. I'm in California, have never received a no front license plate ticket. If they come from the factory I will remove it. If they are dealer mounted, I already emailed my dealership and asked them not to mount the front license plate.
I am not sure I understand your reasoning - the fact you were not ticketed is not the ground to break rules.

Quick google-ing finds:
Does California Require a Front License Plate?
Yes, passenger vehicles registered in California must display valid license plates on both the front and back of the car.

Vehicle Code 5200 VC – Display of License Plates
CVC 5200 states:

“(a) When two license plates are issued by the department for use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.

(b) When only one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle, it shall be attached to the rear thereof, unless the license plate is issued for use upon a truck tractor, in which case the license plate shall be displayed in accordance with Section 4850.5.”

So, seems like driving without front license plate is still illegal, were you fined or not. Though, $196 fine will certainly not break your bank.

Now I am thinking - is it possible to convince DMV to issue only one license plate for Mach E?

Daraiders76

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Premium, 2008 Acura MDX, 2002 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
I am not sure I understand your reasoning - the fact you were not ticketed is not the ground to break rules.

Quick google-ing finds:
Does California Require a Front License Plate?
Yes, passenger vehicles registered in California must display valid license plates on both the front and back of the car.

Vehicle Code 5200 VC – Display of License Plates
CVC 5200 states:

“(a) When two license plates are issued by the department for use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.

(b) When only one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle, it shall be attached to the rear thereof, unless the license plate is issued for use upon a truck tractor, in which case the license plate shall be displayed in accordance with Section 4850.5.”

So, seems like driving without front license plate is still illegal, were you fined or not. Though, $196 fine will certainly not break your bank.

Now I am thinking - is it possible to convince DMV to issue only one license plate for Mach E?
I doubt there's any way around it. I see it all the time but if I get a fine I will pay it, but would likely put that license plate on as soon as that check gets written!

abr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME FE RR, 2019 Fusion PHEV
Country flag
I doubt there's any way around it. I see it all the time but if I get a fine I will pay it, but would likely put that license plate on as soon as that check gets written!
If you are looking to avoid the frame for the license plate, there was mention of a license plate wrap (decal) that can replace the actual frame and plate in the front in CA - DMV approved. You still have a "license" there, but no actual damage to bumper.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
If you are looking to avoid the frame for the license plate, there was mention of a license plate wrap (decal) that can replace the actual frame and plate in the front in CA - DMV approved. You still have a "license" there, but no actual damage to bumper.
Yes, California has this "wrap" option:
https://licenseplatewrap.com

I just heard from Craig with Craig's Custom Mustang Brackets: http://ccmustangbrackets.com
He said:

Hi Mark,

I don’t doubt that I have a bracket that will work on the Mach E, I just need to get one to try it on. I’m sure my universal or 15-20 Mustang brackets will work.

Respectfully,

Craig Broussard

He's located in Chesapeake, VA, just south of Norfolk. We'll need to see if we can get one of our folks nearest Norfolk to hustle their car over there. I'll see if he's open to a visit.

In the meantime, folks going to the Tour events should take pictures of the bottom of the nose in front of the battery shutters.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
Yes, California has this "wrap" option:

I just heard from Craig with Craig's Custom Mustang Brackets: http://ccmustangbrackets.com
He said:

Hi Mark,

I don’t doubt that I have a bracket that will work on the Mach E, I just need to get one to try it on. I’m sure my universal or 15-20 Mustang brackets will work.

Respectfully,

Craig Broussard

He's located in Chesapeake, VA, just south of Norfolk. We'll need to see if we can get one of our folks nearest Norfolk to hustle their car over there. I'll see if he's open to a visit.

In the meantime, folks going to the Tour events should take pictures of the bottom of the nose in front of the battery shutters.
If no one has a valid pic of that area before I go on the 14th, I'll be sure to investigate that area thoroughly

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Here's a summary of where we stand on options:

Tow Hook Mounts:
Won't work. No tow hook stub behind that plate

Wrap It!
Great option for California. Not available for or legal elsewhere.

Removable Brackets:
My current favorite, Craig's Custom Mustang Brackets: http://ccmustangbrackets.com
See above about my discussions with Craig. He's excited about serving our community.

Big Mike's Performance Parts STO N SHO License Plate Mounting Brackets
https://stonsho.com
Unfortunately, this one seems like it would require holes in the bottom of the nose or attachment in front of that plate between the shutters. You would somewhat block the shutters. We've also heard from folks there's probably a radar down there, so that won't work.

Anyone know of other options (other than going commando)?

abr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME FE RR, 2019 Fusion PHEV
Country flag
Where are you planning on putting the wrap? Right or left bumper? MIddle?
I'm pretty sure it can go middle - while the height is larger than the European plate that would fit there, the wrap can apply above and below a little bit as the wrap is standard size CA plate, but flexible.

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
I'm pretty sure it can go middle - while the height is larger than the European plate that would fit there, the wrap can apply above and below a little bit as the wrap is standard size CA plate, but flexible.
Looked at Mach E in person today - no way a standard size plate wrap fits in the middle. And there are vents on both sides. The dealer mentioned a cool after-market option they install on Mustangs. An auto plate swing device that, when you start the car, swings the plate from underneath. When you park it, the plate swings up. Or you can manually control. Only 158 dollars. I will share the info when he provides it. Unfortunately, there are two little "dimples" on the front bumper to show where to drill the holes. Wish those were not there. I am officially obsessed with the front plate thing now, I guess.
Sponsored