What are peoples' plans for front license plates?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The louvers at the sides of the black area need clearance to open and close. Not sure if the space between them is wide enough, but I suspect there is a front facing radar behind that middle portion. You wouldn't want to put anything metallic in front of that.
I'd be surprised if they put any sensors where the license plate goes. That would be really sloppy designing knowing that many jurisdictions require a front plate.

Looks like there's 2 sensors in the black area just outside the louvers. Not sure what the one door-like square on the left in the paint is.

rd-mustang-mach-e-gt-2021-03-blue--exterior--front.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I'd be surprised if they put any sensors where the license plate goes. That would be really sloppy designing knowing that many jurisdictions require a front plate.

Looks like there's 2 sensors in the black area just outside the louvers. Not sure what the one door-like square on the left in the paint is.

Ford Mustang Mach-E What are peoples' plans for front license plates? rd-mustang-mach-e-gt-2021-03-blue--exterior--front
The little box in the painted part is where the tow hook is located.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Those quarter-sized circles are ultrasonic sensors. They can detect objects that are quite close to the car, like bumpers of other cars, bicycles, tricycles, people walking by, etc. This is used while parking. There should be some on the rear bumper, too, to help you avoid hitting things while backing out of spaces.

There is also a front facing radar. It's ideal for detecting the distance to objects in front of the car whose relative, linear velocity isn't 0 (they're going faster or slower than your car is going). So this is needed for ACC, forward collision warning, etc. Radar wavelengths can transmit and receive through plastic, but will readily bounce off metal. So I'm guessing they wouldn't hide it behind any body painted area since metallic paints are used.

So if I'm on the right track here, my best guess is that the front facing radar is behind that flat black rectangular area that's directly in between the two louvered vent areas. Just below where the front license plate would be mounted.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I have no plan to put the front license plate on. I live in Los Angeles and California does unfortunately require it.

I've had a 2006 Mustang GT for close to 15 years. I've racked up 70,000+ miles on it. It is blue with white stripes and definitely gets noticed by any cops I drive by. Nevertheless, I have only ever been pulled over once for this. The cop was clearly having a slow night and even then only gave me a warning because he probably recognized what a dumb ticket it would have been. The handful of other times I've been pulled over the years, I don't recall any of the other cops ever mentioning it let alone adding it to their ticket.

The more common problem has been that some cities (I'd say a minority of them) have their meter maids check for a front license plate and give a ticket if it is missing, even if there is no parking violation. In these places, I would just tape on my front license plate (maybe for the MME, I will buy one of the removable ones people linked to because I'm sure that wasn't so great for the paint).

But anyway, a front license plate ticket is the probably one of the cheapest tickets you can get. I've probably gotten three or four over the years, and I've paid maybe $150 for it over 15 years. And your driver's license doesn't get any points for that kind of ticket.

So to me I choose to view it as one of the cheapest appearance packages I can buy, having to make a periodic payment once every few years. If you too hate the way the front license plate looks (and on some cars, it is actually fine, but doesn't look promising for the MME), I would suggest trying to go without it at first, and seeing how often you actually get ticketed for it - maybe make a rule for yourself, once you exceed X dollars or X number of stops in a year, time to put it on. You may find that your first $40 ticket for it is years away. Anyway, that's my approach to this.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I have no plan to put the front license plate on. I live in Los Angeles and California does unfortunately require it.

I've had a 2006 Mustang GT for close to 15 years. I've racked up 70,000+ miles on it. It is blue with white stripes and definitely gets noticed by any cops I drive by. Nevertheless, I have only ever been pulled over once for this. The cop was clearly having a slow night and even then only gave me a warning because he probably recognized what a dumb ticket it would have been. The handful of other times I've been pulled over the years, I don't recall any of the other cops ever mentioning it let alone adding it to their ticket.

The more common problem has been that some cities (I'd say a minority of them) have their meter maids check for a front license plate and give a ticket if it is missing, even if there is no parking violation. In these places, I would just tape on my front license plate (maybe for the MME, I will buy one of the removable ones people linked to because I'm sure that wasn't so great for the paint).

But anyway, a front license plate ticket is the probably one of the cheapest tickets you can get. I've probably gotten three or four over the years, and I've paid maybe $150 for it over 15 years. And your driver's license doesn't get any points for that kind of ticket.

So to me I choose to view it as one of the cheapest appearance packages I can buy, having to make a periodic payment once every few years. If you too hate the way the front license plate looks (and on some cars, it is actually fine, but doesn't look promising for the MME), I would suggest trying to go without it at first, and seeing how often you actually get ticketed for it - maybe make a rule for yourself, once you exceed X dollars or X number of stops in a year, time to put it on. You may find that your first $40 ticket for it is years away. Anyway, that's my approach to this.
https://licenseplatewrap.com/shop

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag

I agree completely - got a ticket parking in Coronado without my front plate. Had been about a year. I am wondering if the wrap plate could go on that lower black space and not effect the radar. Any ideas out there?

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I agree completely - got a ticket parking in Coronado without my front plate. Had been about a year. I am wondering if the wrap plate could go on that lower black space and not effect the radar. Any ideas out there?
No. The black space are vents for the battery. It will open and close. You'll need to warp it above that and onto part of the front grill.

RidetheLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1968 Mustang, 2007 Mustang GT
Country flag
As much as I don't want to, I'll resign to have the bracket installed for my front plate. I haven't been pulled over in the past 15 years and I'd rather not break that streak.
Going on 13 years not front plate in CA. Only pulled over once and was given a verbal warning.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
Going on 13 years not front plate in CA. Only pulled over once and was given a verbal warning.
I'm contemplating taking that same risk. The front fascia is just too pretty to cover up and I will NOT be drilling holes in it

Cnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Corvette Stingray, 2021 Mach E premium SR RWD
Country flag

AndyS_OSU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevrolet BoltEV
Occupation
Educator
Country flag
I’m on year 6 in Texas not having a front plate and haven’t been pulled over :knocks on wood:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E RWD Premium
Country flag
I'm contemplating taking that same risk. The front fascia is just too pretty to cover up and I will NOT be drilling holes in it
Pretty sure the front plate bracket is a factory-installed part for vehicles being delivered to states that require them. If other Ford vehicles can be used as reference, this will be either via three small screws through the paint and plastic, or 2 aluminum rivets. AFAIK there’s no way to avoid getting one, though bumper plugsdot com makes a pretty good paint match fill plug.

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
Pretty sure the front plate bracket is a factory-installed part for vehicles being delivered to states that require them. If other Ford vehicles can be used as reference, this will be either via three small screws through the paint and plastic, or 2 aluminum rivets. AFAIK there’s no way to avoid getting one, though bumper plugsdot com makes a pretty good paint match fill plug.
The bracket comes with the car for dealer installation where states require a front plate. You can request it not be installed. There are alternative brackets you can get which bypass drilling into the car's bumper.

mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E '21, Premium Mach-E '22
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The bracket comes with the car for dealer installation where states require a front plate. You can request it not be installed. There are alternative brackets you can get which bypass drilling into the car's bumper.
Think you are correct. I am in CA where it is required. Told my dealership to put a note on my order NOT to put it on. They told me they will make sure not to install it for my Mach-E.

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
Think you are correct. I am in CA where it is required. Told my dealership to put a note on my order NOT to put it on. They told me they will make sure not to install it for my Mach-E.
I still have a bracket for my 2017 Mustang in a box on a shelf. I use a Craig's Custom Mustang Bracket and I hope to use one on the Mach e, too.
Sponsored