what are the benefits of using Android auto? what can you use it for?

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I'm just wondering...

I have never taken the time to set up Android-auto..... and I'm not clear on what I might be able to do with it over and above 'normal' car features and BT connected to my phone.

So..... what do people USE android-auto to do that cannot be done without it?
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
I'm just wondering...

I have never taken the time to set up Android-auto..... and I'm not clear on what I might be able to do with it over and above 'normal' car features and BT connected to my phone.

So..... what do people USE android-auto to do that cannot be done without it?
#1 reason is navigation via google maps or waze. Just so much nicer than the built in navigation.

#2 is a much better experience with media streaming an being able to control said streaming via the cars touch screen instead of through your phone (much easier / safer while driving.

#3 is better interactions with phone notifications/messages (voice reading and voice reply to text messages being a big one for me).

I love Android Auto and I am not sure I would buy another new car without it.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
#1 reason is navigation via google maps or waze. Just so much nicer than the built in navigation.

#2 is a much better experience with media streaming an being able to control said streaming via the cars touch screen instead of through your phone (much easier / safer while driving.

#3 is better interactions with phone notifications/messages (voice reading and voice reply to text messages being a big one for me).

I love Android Auto and I am not sure I would buy another new car without it.
hhhmmmm, #3 might be nice. The built -in texting is awkward and doesn't really allow reliable responses. Either not hearing me correctly, or sending if I take a breathe of pause before I'm ready to send.

CarDreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER Premium 2022
Country flag
I like Andriod Auto. I wish it scaled better on the Mach-E. I like the 3D maps built into the standard Mach-E, but Google maps is overall superior. Also the integration with my other apps.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I don't find any value using Android Auto in the MME. I don't stream music or programming since I have a company phone and they frown on that sort of thing.....

I prefer the native Ford navigation, phone interface and text alerts to be superior to the Android Auto. In particular, the native Ford nav knows when there are traffic issues (lane closures, accidents, construction etc) and advises a better route and it also knows to use the car pool lanes when applicable. Android doesn't do that or if it does, I haven't figured it out. The phone works great and so does text alerts etc. It is all pretty well integrated in the Ford system so I don't really see any need to use anything else.

Now, when I drove our Wrangler that is a completely different story. Android Auto maps is far superior to the uConnect system in that vehicle. Both the Ford and Jeep are 2021 models but Jeep has a looooong way to go before their system can even hold a candle to Sync 4A (Sorry Stellantis but it's true)
Sponsored