What are the cons of changing at level 1 daily?

iaming

First Name
Br
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SEL
I heard people saying it's the best for the battery if you charge daily.

My commute distance can be fully recovered at night with level 1, should I still install level 2 in the garage?

Is level 2 safer than level 1? More energy efficient? How much more?
Sponsored

Spooky

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Iā€™ve always thought level 1 charging would be safer since the faster the charger the more heat is generated as it slams the electrons into the battery??

Also Iā€™ve read in numerous places maintaining a battery closer to 50% is best so not sure where daily charging is better than not came from in your research, but in general I think a lot of worrying and fussing over batter longevity is min maxing.

Donā€™t charge to 100% unless you are going to use it that day, go to Fordā€™s suggested up to 90%. Other than that, limit DCFC charging if you donā€™t have to use it and just charge how you want, donā€™t fuss over it.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag

My commute distance can be fully recovered at night with level 1, should I still install level 2 in the garage?

One advantage to L2 is that it also tops up the 12v battery too. But if youā€™ve usually got a longer drive every day, that shouldnā€™t be an issue.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag

ā€œbestā€ is definitely a relative thing.

L2 is more energy efficient and faster. You can also precondition when its cold to make your drive more efficient.

I canā€™t think of any good reason to choose L1 if L2 is an option.

That said, unless you plan on keeping the car past the 8 year warranty, no need to obsess over state of charge, how often you charge etc. Just charge it as often as you need and drive it how you like to.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Doubtful there is any safety difference as long as wiring for a L2 EVSE is installed correctly. L2 is quicker charging and although things are fine now with L1 you may need additional time when range decreases in winter. If you do any driving other than work commuting L2 may also be desired. I would say if you can get by with L1 you are fine. Please note if you are using the Ford supplied EVSE that many users appear to have problems over time. I keep mine in trunk for emergency or on the road use and installed a L2 in my garage.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Level 1 will not precondition in winter, not enough power. Also not enough power to warm battery on coldest of nights.

OP
OP

iaming

First Name
Br
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SEL
Doubtful there is any safety difference as long as wiring for a L2 EVSE is installed correctly. L2 is quicker charging and although things are fine now with L1 you may need additional time when range decreases in winter. If you do any driving other than work commuting L2 may also be desired. I would say if you can get by with L1 you are fine. Please note if you are using the Ford supplied EVSE that many users appear to have problems over time. I keep mine in trunk for emergency or on the road use and installed a L2 in my garage.
What are the ford supplied mobile charger problems over time?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
What are the ford supplied mobile charger problems over time?
The same issue with all potted solid state mobile EVSE units. They have very poor thermal management and overheat. When that happens they fault out or beg the car for mercy asking it to draw less power so it can cool down.

Usually only an issue with L2 though.
L1 would probably be just fine.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I have been using my (included) Mobile charger for L2 charging for 99% of my 18,000 miles over the 20 months I've had the MME. No problems using the Mobile charger daily. I usually run my MME down to 50% or so, and then charge for a couple hours back up to 80-85%.... unless I know I have a long day and then I charge to 100% overnight.

I think my 240v outlet pulling 32amps is safer than using the 120v tail to pull 11-12amps thru a 'regular' outlet for 8 hours because I KNOW the wiring in the 240v outlet is stout enough, and the 'regular' house outlet was not really designed for continuous heavy loads for 3+ hours.

Dave-O

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Odyssey
Occupation
Fuel hauler
Country flag
I tend to go with my gut and over prepare at times. Iā€™d suggest having a good Lvl2 EVSE installed just in case, assuming itā€™s practical for you. If you donā€™t care about ā€œsmartā€ features then there are various solid and relatively inexpensive ones available.

joebruin77

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Tesla Model 3 Perf, '22 Mach E GTPE
Country flag
I personally chose L2 over L1 for many reasons:

1) With L1, I would personally be concerned about the "wear and tear" on the outlet and home wiring of repeatedly charging for many hours night after night.

2) Again, just a personal preference, but in case there is an electrical issue, I would rather it occur while I am awake rather than in the middle of the night while I am sleeping. With L2 charging, the charging session is usually finished before I go to sleep. Or I can charge in the morning before I leave but while I am awake.

3) Even though your daily commute may be short enough that you can charge with L1, there are bound to be times when you will want to take a longer trip. You will then either have to charge for a day or two straight, or go find a public L2 or L3 EVSE. It is so much more convenient to have a L2 EVSE in your garage.

4) In case of a power outage due to a wind or rainstorm, I feel safer having the ability to charge and top off the battery as quickly as possible. During such weather events, the power may only come on for an hour or two before it goes out again. Charging at the rate of 28 miles an hour would give me much more peace of mind than charging at 2 miles an hour.

5) My local power utility gave me a $500 rebate to cover the cost of the L2 EVSE, so my only cost was about $350 in labor to have my electrician install the EVSE.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I donā€™t charge every day since I use about 12-15% per day. I charge to 85% indicated on 32A L2 twice a week. I could get away with once per week, but Iā€™m too chicken. If youā€™re in an area that doesnā€™t get too cold in the winter or too hot in the summer, L1 charging should not be an issue WRT preconditioning. šŸ˜ŠšŸ©

That said, I prefer L2 charging to L1 charging. šŸ˜ŠšŸ©

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
I assume you donā€™t have 240v in your garage and are really asking if you should upgrade your electrical.

Since level 1 will charge at 3 mph, and if your daily usage is under 30 miles, youā€™d be fine for now on 110v level 1 charger..

roamtheworld

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
I personally chose L2 over L1 for many reasons:

1) With L1, I would personally be concerned about the "wear and tear" on the outlet and home wiring of repeatedly charging for many hours night after night.

2) Again, just a personal preference, but in case there is an electrical issue, I would rather it occur while I am awake rather than in the middle of the night while I am sleeping. With L2 charging, the charging session is usually finished before I go to sleep. Or I can charge in the morning before I leave but while I am awake.

3) Even though your daily commute may be short enough that you can charge with L1, there are bound to be times when you will want to take a longer trip. You will then either have to charge for a day or two straight, or go find a public L2 or L3 EVSE. It is so much more convenient to have a L2 EVSE in your garage.

4) In case of a power outage due to a wind or rainstorm, I feel safer having the ability to charge and top off the battery as quickly as possible. During such weather events, the power may only come on for an hour or two before it goes out again. Charging at the rate of 28 miles an hour would give me much more peace of mind than charging at 2 miles an hour.

5) My local power utility gave me a $500 rebate to cover the cost of the L2 EVSE, so my only cost was about $350 in labor to have my electrician install the EVSE.
I had our 110 outlet arc when pulling the cord around within the first few weeks of use.
L1 was fine before we started driving longer distances and L1 couldnā€™t keep up.
:(
I wish we had some rebates in my area to help with install costs.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I just had my L2 circuit installed last week. It was a complicated install (underground conduit, new subpanel, GFCI) and pretty expensive at $2k, but it's very nice being able to fully top up each night from any state of charge. I also wouldn't make it through a New England winter without L2, so this was mandatory for me. As a bonus, I've integrated FordPass and OpenEVSE into my HomeAssistant server and I can almost get away without using FordPass on a daily basis.
Sponsored