What are the cons of changing at level 1 daily?

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I heard people saying it's the best for the battery if you charge daily.

My commute distance can be fully recovered at night with level 1, should I still install level 2 in the garage?

Is level 2 safer than level 1? More energy efficient? How much more?
L2 is about 10% more efficient than L1 due to the higher voltage.
Sponsored

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
L2 is about 10% more efficient than L1 due to the higher voltage.
Not saying you are wrong but wondering where you found that information? I have been looking for any loss/efficiency information with regards to the various L2 charging amps.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have been using my (included) Mobile charger for L2 charging for 99% of my 18,000 miles over the 20 months I've had the MME. No problems using the Mobile charger daily. I usually run my MME down to 50% or so, and then charge for a couple hours back up to 80-85%.... unless I know I have a long day and then I charge to 100% overnight.

I think my 240v outlet pulling 32amps is safer than using the 120v tail to pull 11-12amps thru a 'regular' outlet for 8 hours because I KNOW the wiring in the 240v outlet is stout enough, and the 'regular' house outlet was not really designed for continuous heavy loads for 3+ hours.
I was just pointing out that, according to various threads, that it appears many do have problems with the Ford mobile charger. Just another reason to perhaps convert to another unit but obviously some are doing just fine. Just something for the OP to consider.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
“best” is definitely a relative thing.

L2 is more energy efficient and faster. You can also precondition when its cold to make your drive more efficient.

I can’t think of any good reason to choose L1 if L2 is an option.
We morons do not know any better. Our good reason:
We charge L1 95%+ of the time. Directly from solar. One EV is plugged in most of the daylight hours.
On rare occasions (mostly winter) we use L2.
Most folks are unable to afford, or do not have the space for, a larger array.
We have a 10.695 kW array. We produce more energy than we consume.
In order to run an EVSE directly from solar, one would require about a 20kW array to comfortably do so. (that is part of the future game plan)
This is how we morons currently do not use fossil fuels for energy.

The reason most of us read this forum is for new ideas and to keep informed. Although sometimes long winded, the contributors do a great job.
Thanks.
We do not necessarily employ every idea found herein, but we certainly support and encourage them.
Good reason or not.

MachEnation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black Bottom Barrel Base
Country flag
I've been using L1 only for almost 8 years now, with various plug-ins including the MME.

I have a house from 1765. Our panel has to be updated to handle L2, along with other challenges of an old house. Hasn't been worth it--but will probably do it this year thanks to a new rebate program in my state that will cover a portion of these costs.

I do appreciate the (purportedly) reduced fire risk and load on my old house's electrical infrastructure. However, I've had to replace the outside outlet a couple of times over the years, and I've learned that these (included) portable EVSE chargers generally have a shelf life of about 3 years if using them daily.

For my lifestyle, the charging speed is "good enough" and only once did I have to run to a DC charger because I needed more range.

OP
OP

iaming

First Name
Br
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SEL
The same issue with all potted solid state mobile EVSE units. They have very poor thermal management and overheat. When that happens they fault out or beg the car for mercy asking it to draw less power so it can cool down.

Usually only an issue with L2 though.
L1 would probably be just fine.
Which one is safer, L1 vs L2 (NEMA 14-50)?

I'm now tending to L1.
10% more energy efficiency does not justify the cost. My state rebate program ended about a couple years ago. It may cost 1k to install the NEMA 14-50, may need a city permit, that costs $$.
The garage wall would get messed up. Now the wires are all hidden inside the wall. I don't think they can hide the new wire, not with this budget.
Both our working place have ev charging station, we commute 60% weekdays, and we have another ice car. Winter is not harsh here.

My house was built within 5 years, hopefully it can manage the extra 🔌.

OP
OP

iaming

First Name
Br
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SEL
I assume you don’t have 240v in your garage and are really asking if you should upgrade your electrical.

Since level 1 will charge at 3 mph, and if your daily usage is under 30 miles, you’d be fine for now on 110v level 1 charger..
I don't have the 240v outlet in my garage.
I would not call it an upgrade, pulling the 240v out of the panel and attaching it to the wall looks only worse.

It's under 30 miles for 3 days, and under 15 miles for 2 days.

I think I will stay with L1, and see how it goes.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
I don't have the 240v outlet in my garage.
I would not call it an upgrade, pulling the 240v out of the panel and attaching it to the wall looks only worse.

It's under 30 miles for 3 days, and under 15 miles for 2 days.

I think I will stay with L1, and see how it goes.
Correct, it’s not an upgrade, it’s more of an update. L1 is fine for your needs.

SXBB

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Cardiovascular Perfusionist
Country flag
Aside from all of the reasons to have Level 2 at home that have alredy been mentioned, the efficiency of Level 1 charging can be significantly worse. Here's a link to an interesting video by The Ionic Guy that describes this when using an Ionic 5. I suspect that it would be similar with a MME.

Cheers

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Lots of info out there on it, but the difference is pretty significant.

https://help.tessie.com/article/49-charging-efficiency
I was about chime in and say L1 is horribly inefficient. This statement matches my experience (actually since I used a J-1772 extension cable that added more resistance... I got 60-65% efficiency on my RAV4 Prime and Model Y)

"Charging via 120-volt outlets (the standard electrical outlet in use in homes in North America) will typically result in an efficiency of ~70%."

Basically with L1... you are throwing away electrons.

OP
OP

iaming

First Name
Br
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SEL
I was about chime in and say L1 is horribly inefficient. This statement matches my experience (actually since I used a J-1772 extension cable that added more resistance... I got 60-65% efficiency on my RAV4 Prime and Model Y)

"Charging via 120-volt outlets (the standard electrical outlet in use in homes in North America) will typically result in an efficiency of ~70%."

Basically with L1... you are throwing away electrons.
Base on my calculation, my electric bill for ev should be less than 300 per year, even with 25% loss, it's only 75.
And I can charge at work.

AndyP

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e, F150, RX350, MX5, Bronco
Country flag
I had a 100 amp panel put in my garage 12 years ago when I was having some electrical updates on my 1952 house. I anticipated needing some capacity for future electric vehicles.
I installed the L2 smart charger myself (60 amp) and also added a separate Nema 14-50 plug (50 amp) in case a need to use the portable Ford charger. Total cost was about $125 for materials and nothing is surface mounted (except the smart charger).

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Which one is safer, L1 vs L2 (NEMA 14-50)?

I'm now tending to L1.
10% more energy efficiency does not justify the cost. My state rebate program ended about a couple years ago. It may cost 1k to install the NEMA 14-50, may need a city permit, that costs $$.
The garage wall would get messed up. Now the wires are all hidden inside the wall. I don't think they can hide the new wire, not with this budget.
Both our working place have ev charging station, we commute 60% weekdays, and we have another ice car. Winter is not harsh here.

My house was built within 5 years, hopefully it can manage the extra 🔌.
L2 is safer in my opinion.
L1 is a duplex receptacle and many times there may be multiple duals on a single circuit. That makes it much more likely for the circuit to be overloaded.
Sponsored