Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My rate just went up from $0.595/kWHr to $0.06/kWHr here in southwest Utah (Dixie Power). My Bolt usually takes about $3.00 for a fill-up from < 30 miles to ~ 240 miles.

Even when all the taxes are included it comes out to about $0.068/kWHr. The biggest hit is the monthly service fee ($25.00) which then makes the average cost about $0.083/kWHr.

I've only charged the MME twice so far and those have used about 70kWHr to go from 25% to 100%.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
Wow some of you have amazing rates. I'm in CA and 19 cents kwh. Which even at that rate is way less than gas. However I have solar so it's a non issue.
Good point, we need to index the off peak rates relative to the cost of a gallon of gas.

Here in SF, it's $3.50-$4.00 / gal

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Good point, we need to index the off peak rates relative to the cost of a gallon of gas.

Here in SF, it's $3.50-$4.00 / gal
And even that's an incomplete comparison, since BEVs usually cost ~$15k more up front. The fuel savings usually only gets part of that extra cost back. Unless one is a very high mileage driver. Get up into the 25,000+ miles/yr range and that fuel savings closes the gap faster.

Maintenance costs should be cheaper too, although we'll see. I think that one tends to get overestimated, although it depends so much on the ICE vehicle being compared to. My Escapes over the last 2 decades have had very low maintenance costs. But some vehicles are quite high.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
And even that's an incomplete comparison, since BEVs usually cost ~$15k more up front. The fuel savings usually only gets part of that extra cost back. Unless one is a very high mileage driver. Get up into the 25,000+ miles/yr range and that fuel savings closes the gap faster.

Maintenance costs should be cheaper too, although we'll see. I think that one tends to get overestimated, although it depends so much on the ICE vehicle being compared to. My Escapes over the last 2 decades have had very low maintenance costs. But some vehicles are quite high.
Yeah, I was just stating that to better compare just the cost of electricity, one way of doing it is to index against current gas prices.

Comparing total cost of ownership is a whole other analytical exercise. :)

Dafstang

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aimdesign.com
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium E AWD/ / 2017 Mercedes GLE-43
Occupation
Product designer
Country flag
Thanks for rubbing it in…PG&E (NorCal) EV TOU rates

91B55F6E-6566-4A4C-8E2D-7538A0653364.jpeg
I feel your pain, I am currently on the PGE (brentwood East bay) Tier 1 plan and I am paying 0.32cents per kwH. BUt hey are plannign to swithc everyone to the plan you mention above. I have a bunch of solar panels so I think I will keep my tier 1 plan since I think it is the cheapest out there even at the higher off peak rate.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Southern California Edison has differing "Time of Use" Rates. We're on TOU-PRIME, which is $0.16/Kwh from 21:00-16:00 Pacific time, $0.41/Kwh 16:00-21:00 PT for winter rates. Summer rates increase by .01/Kwh for off-peak and .03/Kwh for peak rates. Add to this a 5% City of Huntington Beach excise tax.

As expensive as this sounds, and it is, we generate 90% of our power with solar and have 3 x Tesla Powerwall-2s installed (39 Kwh). So, our electric bill isn't much, and we both work from home.

Our gas bill is a joke - less than $200/year, including gas hot water, dryer, stove, etc.

Overall, compared to what I hear that my work colleagues in FL, TX and NJ spend on electricity and gas, our overall bill is modest. And for that we can thank Coastal Orange County's near-perfect year-round weather.
Natural gas is MUCH cheaper than electricity - at least where we are. The AC in the home we bought came equipped with an electric heat pump. And we never use because it costs about three times as much to use that electricity than to heat our home with NG.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
I feel your pain, I am currently on the PGE (brentwood East bay) Tier 1 plan and I am paying 0.32cents per kwH. BUt hey are plannign to swithc everyone to the plan you mention above. I have a bunch of solar panels so I think I will keep my tier 1 plan since I think it is the cheapest out there even at the higher off peak rate.
They are moving everyone to a standard TOU plan. The rates for the above are designed more for EV charging. Here's where PGE are moving people to:

Ford Mustang Mach-E What are your Electric Rates Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 15.44.19

Sobmartin

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150, Prius Prime
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This chart from the EIA shows the simple answer for the whole US: https://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/epm_table_grapher.php?t=epmt_5_6_a

Of course, it is giving a blended final rate per kWh, which doesn't take into account the finer points of demand charges, time-of-use, or EV specific plans. But as an overall trend of cost, it is a good resource.

Hawaii ($0.29/kWh) is at the top, with Alaska, California, and parts of the Northeast (RI, MA, CT) coming in next (~$0.20/kWh). At the bottom are mostly SE states, some mountain states, and Washington (~$0.8 to ~0.11/kWh).

Anyone aware of a more detailed database of residential tariffs in the US?
Actually in Central Washington we pay $.025 and $.04 /KWH. public Utility districts

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
In St. Louis, MO it is fairly low.
$9/month customer access fee
Summer rate (June-Sept) - 11.81c/kWh
Winter Rate (Oct-May)
First 750kWh - 8.04c/kWh
Over 750kWh - 5.38c/kWh

Winter rates are a great deal especially when you use quite a bit of electricity. I mostly charge my car at work for free though which has even lower rates.

They do offer like 3 different on/off peak plans but I'm not subscribed to any of them. They are a little bit confusing why there are different options.

Papa T

First Name
Treven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X1
Country flag
Alabama:
Peak Hours - .106618 / kWH
Off Peak - .089463 / kWH (9 PM to 5 AM)

My current car uses premium gas, and I drive roughly 1625 miles per month. If I can get my driving in my MME to equal 3.00 miles per kWH, I will save around $180 per month in fuel costs. Obviously, my premium gas requirement is putting its thumb on that scale, but still that's a pretty awesome savings for me.

Edit: Oops, my current fuel cost is $180, and my estimated electric cost should be $48.50, so about $130 in actual savings.

Last edited:

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag

fallguy

First Name
fallguy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender, 1968 Mustang, 2021 Mach-E GT
Occupation
Federal
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E What are your Electric Rates kWh.PNG

East TN. Just a flat rate... that apparently changes monthly. Looking back at last year, it's very close to the same each month though. There is nothing for EV users, no off-peak discount or anything. But it is pretty low, so not really upset. Especially after looking at others on here.

Haven't done the math to see how much for a full charge, or price per mile driven or anything. My wife's car is about $75 to fill up now though, and has a 300 mile range based on our current MPG. So far better than that.
Sponsored