What are your Electric Rates

exact33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Fusion
Country flag
My rate here in northern md is $.14 per kw/h. I estimate to go from 20% to 100% it would cost $12

Gas is $2.79 per gallon here right now
Sponsored

LagerHead

Banned
Banned
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford F-150, 2018 Tesla Model 3 & 2 Ducati M/C
Occupation
Test Dummy
Country flag
My rate just went up from $0.595/kWHr to $0.06/kWHr here in southwest Utah (Dixie Power). My Bolt usually takes about $3.00 for a fill-up from < 30 miles to ~ 240 miles.

Even when all the taxes are included it comes out to about $0.068/kWHr. The biggest hit is the monthly service fee ($25.00) which then makes the average cost about $0.083/kWHr.
There are two ways to view that $25/mo. flat service fee:

1) That's the cost of having electrical service to your home. You will pay that whether you drive a gasoline car or an electric car so it shouldn't be included in your car expenses.

2) The more electricity your car uses, the cheaper the electricity per kW becomes! ;)

LagerHead

Banned
Banned
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford F-150, 2018 Tesla Model 3 & 2 Ducati M/C
Occupation
Test Dummy
Country flag
Haven't done the math to see how much for a full charge, or price per mile driven or anything. My wife's car is about $75 to fill up now though, and has a 300 mile range based on our current MPG. So far better than that.
It looks like you're averaging $0.09/kWh. You can assume around 12% charging/wiring efficiency losses. So, to go from 0 kWh (completely empty) to 88.8kWh (completely charged) would take:

88.8 x 1.12 = 99.5 kWh
99.5 kWh x $0.09 = $8.96

Fill'er up please!

If you get 270 miles of range per charge that's 3.3 cents per mile vs. your wifes 25 cents per mile. Around here most EV owners are figuring 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of gas but it looks like your wife drives a gas guzzler to get 7 times the cost!

deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag
It's weird as a logic study that EV's have taken off here in CA. Electricity is cheaper but it's a close race. It never pencils out as anything meaningful in terms of savings. Hybrids are break even, if you keep them long enough, PHEV get the big markups because of the tax breaks (RAV4 Primes are being sold for more than Mach E's). And, you know an EV tax is coming someday.

If I hadn't been here in the bad old days, where you couldn't see across the Bay, or even 5 miles away, I wouldn't get it at all.

Solar, on the other hand, is a completely different proposition here. I'm not sure why every homeowner doesn't have it on their roof. It takes a few years but it's cheap and it'll pay for itself.

Anyways, I have better weather than almost any of you but damn do I pay for it.

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Mach E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
I'm on a co-op in the northern Atlanta suburbs, unfortunately not the same one as the guy earlier who gets 400kWh free each month--that is a great deal

Our normal rates are: $24.85 base charge (I don't count this, because I pay it regardless)
First 500kWh: $0.0767 + 0.01 wholesale charge = 0.0867
Next 500kWh: $0.0736 + 0.01 = 0.0836
Over 1,000kWh: 0.0540 in Oct-may, 0.0860 June-Sept (24 hours a day, no time of day component)

We have two options they suggest to EV drivers. First is an EV-specific rate. The only issue with the EV rate is that it requires a separate meter, so it's pretty pricey to have someone come out and install. Plus, having a somewhat older house I would need to bring the whole house up to code, but here's the rates anyway:
Base fee: $12 (for the additional meter, on top of the household base fee)
Off-peak per kWh: $0.0415 + 0.01 = 0.0515
On-Peak per kWh: $0.280 + 0.01 = 0.290
Peak time is defined as 8am-8pm year round
So, obviously the point of this rate is to move all EV charging to after hours, even in the winter

The rate I actually went with was the generic Time-of-Use, which applies to my whole house. The calculus here is that if you expect to use a lot of power during peak times, you should probably use the EV rate and keep the rest of the house on the standard, non-time-of-use rate. Otherwise if you can limit your on-peak usage, the rate is very close to the EV rate
Base charge: $29
off peak per kWh: 0.0445 + 0.01 = 0.0545
on peak per kWh: 0.280 + 0.01 = 0.290
Peak times: 2pm-8pm, Mon-Fri, June 1-Aug 31, excluding July 4

There is an even more divided "Critical Peak Time" pricing plan, but the addition of the third peak category only brings the mid-tier peak category down less than a penny per kWh, and the "critical peak time" rate is basically a dollar per kWh. Out of 187,590 meters, the co-op told me they have only 2 customers on that plan

SO......

at 3.13 miles per kWh, which is the ABRP reference for my RWD Extended Range that I don't have yet, I'm paying $0.017412 per mile.

On top of all of this, our EMC will pay a $250 rebate to the purchase of an EVSE

Last edited:

SkyWalker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang, Mach-E
Occupation
Network Engineer
Country flag
Marietta, GA, suburb of Atlanta
I'm assuming you're with Cobb EMC. We are also and I can't wait to take advantage of the Nite Flex rate they offer. Have you seen any hidden fees or questionable increases to your bill?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Haven't done the math to see how much for a full charge, or price per mile driven or anything. My wife's car is about $75 to fill up now though, and has a 300 mile range based on our current MPG. So far better than that.
Holy crap, what does she drive, a bulldozer??

$75 in gas is around 30 gallons at current prices in that part of the country. 300 miles would be 10 MPG. Last time I remember getting that little was in my parent's 1966 Cadillac that I learned to drive in.

Luke

First Name
Luciano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e, Taurus
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag
In Massachusetts the rates for NationalGrid are $0.12 for electricity plus $0.14 for distribution. So we pay close to $0.26 per kWh. Time to go solar or move to a different state.

2Ponies

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 GT350, 2013 Leaf, 2012 Camry hybrid
Occupation
Energy Markets
Country flag
Some of us in CA with small Muni's do not have the sky high rates of the big utilities. I have decent rates. First 500Kwh are .0931. After that it goes up to .1435. With solar and net metering I charge my Leaf at home and never go over the 500. So at roughly a dime a Kwh, and 3.4 miles per Kwh in the Leaf, I get 34 miles to the dollar.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
at 3.13 miles per kWh, which is the ABRP reference for my RWD Extended Range that I don't have yet, I'm paying $0.161195 per mile.
Not sure how you arrive at that number. If you're paying $0.0545/kWh off-peak, and charging off-peak, $0.0545 / 3.13 = $0.017/mile.

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Mach E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
Not sure how you arrive at that number. If you're paying $0.0545/kWh off-peak, and charging off-peak, $0.0545 / 3.13 = $0.017/mile.
You're right, and that number didn't seem right. I'm not sure what I did to the math there

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
It's weird as a logic study that EV's have taken off here in CA. Electricity is cheaper but it's a close race. It never pencils out as anything meaningful in terms of savings. Hybrids are break even, if you keep them long enough, PHEV get the big markups because of the tax breaks (RAV4 Primes are being sold for more than Mach E's). And, you know an EV tax is coming someday.

If I hadn't been here in the bad old days, where you couldn't see across the Bay, or even 5 miles away, I wouldn't get it at all.

Solar, on the other hand, is a completely different proposition here. I'm not sure why every homeowner doesn't have it on their roof. It takes a few years but it's cheap and it'll pay for itself.

Anyways, I have better weather than almost any of you but damn do I pay for it.
Here in the OC back in the mid 80's, we had a new college grad hire in during the summer. Come winter and the first rain, he saw the San Gabriel / San Bernardino mountains for the first time. Asked if those were the Rockies. Us natives laughed so hard, he couldn't figure out what was so funny!

OP
OP
StrWhtMME

StrWhtMME

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Electric Focus. 21 MME Prm SR, 23 Maverick
Country flag
I'm assuming you're with Cobb EMC. We are also and I can't wait to take advantage of the Nite Flex rate they offer. Have you seen any hidden fees or questionable increases to your bill?
Vehicle due Apr 16th. Have Focus Electric now and have been using regular rate. It looks like the other times of the day will be higher with the Nite Flex. Need to do more research before I commit to different plan.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I'm in a small town where the City resells the power to residents. This is our rate plan. They don't offer any kind of time of day plans or alternative plans at the moment. I typically figure $0.10/kwh when I try to estimate my costs.

Ford Mustang Mach-E What are your Electric Rates Screenshot_20210315-130829_Chrome
Sponsored