StrWhtMME

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Electric Focus. 21 MME Prm SR, 23 Maverick
Country flag
Just curious, what kind of electric rates do you have? Where I live, if you sign up for Electric Vehicle Rate (value charging) the local power company gives you 400kw free per month (12am-6am), 4 cents per kw 12am-6am over 400kw. Off peak 7.3 cents per kw (6am-1pm), and peak hours 1pm-9pm 13 cents per kw. From reading this forum, many seemed concerned with power bills.
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I'm on rural electric. They stick us with a huge "facility charge" in order to keep published rates from looking outrageous. My marginal rate is $0.104/kWh for energy used between 1000 and 2000 kWh - which is where I'm normally at most of the year. In the summer, I'll exceed 2000 kWh (A/C and a swimming pool!) so the rate for usage above 2000 drops to $0.099.

We have no variable rates other than special rates for all-electric HVAC on its own meter. I called our Coop about special rates for EV charging off-peak, but they offer nothing. That's in spite of them encouraging EV adoption in all of their literature. They even have a Bolt that members can test drive.

So right now it would cost me about $9 to fully charge from zero. At $3 gas, the energy cost is about the same. Of course, those 3 gallons would only take me 90 miles or less with an ICE, where my MME is rated 270. I haven't driven enough to see if I can get 270 for sure, but it's looking pretty close.

Your rates are incredibly good. I'd love to have that available to me.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Sounds like @StrWhtMME you get a sweet deal for EVs but for overall residential use you’re getting killed due to the high peak hour rate.

Here’s what I get in Kansas:

The standard residential plan is simple. You pay 7.3 cents per kWh for the first 900kWh, and then either 5.9 cents (Oct - May) or 8.06 cents (June - Sept).

I can also switch to a Residential “EV Plan,” which drops my kWh price to a flat 4.56 cents. BUT, it then adds an extra Demand Charge. The Demand Charge is $3 x Demand kW (Oct - May) or $9 x Demand kW (June - Sept). This demand is the highest demand at any point 15min interval during any “peak time” from 1-7pm M-F.

The difference in plans really has nothing to do with owning an EV. In fact they don’t even require proof of ownership is you wanted to switch. If I can keep my Demand kW low, then the EV plan saves me money. But if I have even one weekday peak period during the month where I make the mistake of running my dryer the same time as my stove and a few other appliances, then all my saving disappear and I could pay a lot more in the summer months. And you can only switch plans once every 12mos.

So in summary, the EV Plan sucks and I’m better off sticking with standard residential. Even the electric rep I spoke to for clarification admitted “yeah, this isn’t a good deal even for most EV owners, but check back next year because we’re always trying out new rate plans.”

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD SR, F150 XLT Special Edition
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
Here in Quebec, the rates are

• 6.08¢/kWh for energy consumed up to 40 kWh per day times the number of days in the consumption period (1st tier)
  • 9.38¢/kWh for the remaining energy consumed (2nd tier)

All in CAN$ of course!!!

There is also a dynamic rating system being implemented which is on a voluntary basis...

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My incremental rate is $0.0995 per kWh, 24x7. Making home charging roughly 1/3rd the price-per-mile vs gas in my Escape.

However, I also have a Demand charge on my bill. It's a modest one compared to some. It's $1.50 per kW for the peak draw point of the month. My normal peak demand was usually in the 6-8 kW range, typically in the late afternoon (~5pm), presumably when using the oven.

My EVSE is a 40A Grizzl-E, which is 9.6kW. Even running it overnight where normal house draw might only be a few kW, it still establishes a new peak demand. My first bill with the MME showed a 14 kW peak (~$22 surcharge) because I tested the EVSE during the day. Now I have it scheduled for night, and I lowered the power to 24A (5.7 kW). That should lower my demand peak back to around 8 kW ($12).

It's not huge money, of course, but if you have a demand charge on your bill that works the same way, it's prudent to not overlap the EVSE with the oven, the clothes dryer, a hot tub, and when possible, the A/C.

And some people in certain jurisdictions have a much higher Demand charge rate.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
I have Appalachian Power here in Virginia and we have a flat rate of about $0.11/kWh.

They do have EV time-of-day billing available now, which drops it to $0.07/kWh for the EV charger. It requires what looks like a lengthy sign-up process and installation of a separate meter for the EVSE. I do most of my electrical work myself, and it doesn't seem as if they "like" that, even if it's perfectly legal. All of the paperwork assumes an electrician is doing the work.

I will probably look into it further at some point this year.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
I have PECO and thought our prices were pretty good until seeing others'... Our's is about $0.13/kWh with no variable rates or time of use billing. We do have solar, but since we have a good net metering policy it's still effectively costing the same.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have PECO and thought our prices were pretty good until seeing others'... Our's is about $0.13/kWh with no variable rates or time of use billing. We do have solar, but since we have a good net metering policy it's still effectively costing the same.
The California people haven't chimed in yet. All of our rates will look great again when they report in. :cool:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e 4wd
Country flag
[QUOTE = "dbsb3233, post: 137691, medlem: 475"]
California-folket har ikke ringt inn ennĂĄ. Alle prisene vĂĄre vil se bra ut igjen nĂĄr de rapporterer inn.:kul:
[/SITAT]
You want the prices in Norway.?.. 1L Diesel 16NOK, 1lier 95 17,3NOK, 1kwh in summertime 0,4NOK in winter 0,8-1,5

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
Rural North Georgia here, 9.2cents/kwh flat rate 24 hrs a day. No EV plans.

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Peco plans to start offering time of use rates in September, with the highest rates from 2pm to 6pm and the lowest rates from midnight to 6am. No details on actual rates have been published though.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
This chart from the EIA shows the simple answer for the whole US: https://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/epm_table_grapher.php?t=epmt_5_6_a

Of course, it is giving a blended final rate per kWh, which doesn't take into account the finer points of demand charges, time-of-use, or EV specific plans. But as an overall trend of cost, it is a good resource.

Hawaii ($0.29/kWh) is at the top, with Alaska, California, and parts of the Northeast (RI, MA, CT) coming in next (~$0.20/kWh). At the bottom are mostly SE states, some mountain states, and Washington (~$0.8 to ~0.11/kWh).

Anyone aware of a more detailed database of residential tariffs in the US?

Nichmurray

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD
Country flag
Maine- Central Maine Power Company (Avangrid) 14.067 cents per kWh
Sponsored