• Utility demand charges too high
  • Internet connection down
  • Poorly written software
  • Backend server issues
  • Lack of replacement parts due to supply shortages
  • Lack of trained technicians
  • Lack of money to pay for repairs
  • Vandalism
Essentially it's difficult to make an electronic product that lives outside 24/7 for 5+ years not fail in some way. Manufacturers are still figuring out what works and what doesn't. It's still an evolving technology, everyone has to learn their lessons the hard way until progress can be made.

1) These things are needlessly complicated and monitoring and maintenance are distant.... and as a result really unreliable.

2) There is no viable business model to support them... no money no maintenance.... unless we all pay a lot more for charging they will not improve.... sorry.
Sponsored

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
Itā€™d be great if the pretty much the only independent reliability metric (PlugShare) hadnā€™t been purchased by one of the networks (EVgo)ā€”good EVgo ratings there now may just be a dictate from their new owners.
I did not realize that EVgo had purchased plugshare. That is rather unfortunate for the long term. They said they'll keep a level playing field for all other networks' chargers, but that kind of thing is easy to erode over time.

I did some quick research, and plugshare is used by 70% of current EV drivers. EVgo being able to buy that majority of users for $25M must have seemed like a no-brainer to them.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Itā€™d be great if the pretty much the only independent reliability metric (PlugShare) hadnā€™t been purchased by one of the networks (EVgo)ā€”good EVgo ratings there now may just be a dictate from their new owners.
Because PlugShare is crowdsourced I don't think you can use the word "reliable". The networks may, or may not, have reliable data about why a particular charge session fails. A consumer that is educated may be able to correctly described that a session failed. The problem is that many people have no clue. IF they use PlugShare (and only a small percentage actually report their sessions), they may, or may not, be able to accurately describe a failed session. Is the vehicle at fault? Or communication? Or the charger itself?

Also - I don't think it's right to say that EVgo may be dictating anything to PlugShare without knowing the facts. Implying ownership means they are corrupting data is just wrong without facts.

ReelSweet

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Do the Tesla chargers have the same issues or have they figured out something better for reliability?

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Do the Tesla chargers have the same issues or have they figured out something better for reliability?
Tesla SC are pretty minimal in design so that helps a lot

A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium 4X
Country flag
There are lots of reasons.
  • Low utility voltage
  • Cable temperature sensor failure
  • Dispenser logic failure
  • Button/screen failure
  • Cable chiller failure
  • Power conversion module failure
  • Outdoor temperature too high or low
  • Isolation test failure
  • Damaged cables/connectors
  • Backend server issues
  • Vandalism
Essentially it's difficult to make an electronic product that lives outside 24/7 for 5+ years not fail in some way. Manufacturers are still figuring out what works and what doesn't. It's still an evolving technology, everyone has to learn their lessons the hard way until progress can be made.

It is a mystery to me also. I got my EE degree in 79 and was in the power systems industry a long time. It shouldnā€™t be this difficult.
Maquis actually has another big reason hiding in his post - there aren't a lot of EEs with experience in high power systems these days, it's a specialty that went out of fashion decades ago as electrical engineering focused on electronics and electronics emphasized low power and miniaturization. There are few to no options in most modernn EE programs for dealing with high power design. I blame this for the under-engineered HVBJB issues as well.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There are lots of reasons.
  • Low utility voltage
  • Cable temperature sensor failure
  • Dispenser logic failure
  • Button/screen failure
  • Cable chiller failure
  • Power conversion module failure
  • Outdoor temperature too high or low
  • Isolation test failure
  • Damaged cables/connectors
  • Backend server issues
  • Vandalism

The next obvious question , at least to me is, why do Teslaā€™s stations work, Tesla doesnā€™t have any of those issues?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I know for a fact that EA utilizes 3rd parties for service (don't know the extent, but I've met a least 3 different companies doing service over the past 18 months.

No idea if Tesla has their own people or not.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I know for a fact that EA utilizes 3rd parties for service (don't know the extent, but I've met a least 3 different companies doing service over the past 18 months.

No idea if Tesla has their own people or not.
What happened to the Ford Charge Angels? I haven't heard about any sightings of them in ages.

chuckles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 RWD Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Because PlugShare is crowdsourced I don't think you can use the word "reliable". The networks may, or may not, have reliable data about why a particular charge session fails. A consumer that is educated may be able to correctly described that a session failed. The problem is that many people have no clue. IF they use PlugShare (and only a small percentage actually report their sessions), they may, or may not, be able to accurately describe a failed session. Is the vehicle at fault? Or communication? Or the charger itself?

Also - I don't think it's right to say that EVgo may be dictating anything to PlugShare without knowing the facts. Implying ownership means they are corrupting data is just wrong without facts.
Totally agreed on all points. Error messages from both the cars and the chargers don't really help the user determine what's at fault, which further conflates the issues. I've added an edit to my post.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag