What connectivity does the sharkfin antenna provide?

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
My garage door malfunctioned, and I backed into it without realizing that it didn't open fully. Luckily, my car sustained almost no damage, except that the sharkfin antenna is ripped off. The sharkfin is also intact, and appears to sustain no damage. The metal piece that holds the sharkfin is very slightly dented, and there appears to be no paint damage or glass damage.

I have found that GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth, AM/FM continued to function. It appears that cellular has stopped working. (It appears that certain features, like remote lock/unlock, vehicle location only works via bluetooth and/or cellular, but not via WiFi.) The screen says "antenna problem" when I try XM.

Beside cellular and XM, what else may be in the sharkfin antenna?
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Sorry to hear this, RyZt. :(

Here's what I found from https://www.sharksider.com/understanding-shark-fins/#lwptoc2:

Shark fins are long and stiff. They are attached to the body with cartilaginous rods that extend off the skeletal frame of the shark. These cartilaginous rods are called ceratotrichia, and help support the strength and rigidity of the fins so they help sharks swim quickly and with impressive agility.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
My garage door malfunctioned, and I backed into it without realizing that it didn't open fully. Luckily, my car sustained almost no damage, except that the sharkfin antenna is ripped off. The sharkfin is also intact, and appears to sustain no damage. The metal piece that holds the sharkfin is very slightly dented, and there appears to be no paint damage or glass damage.

I have found that GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth, AM/FM continued to function. It appears that cellular has stopped working. (It appears that certain features, like remote lock/unlock, vehicle location only works via bluetooth and/or cellular, but not via WiFi.) The screen says "antenna problem" when I try XM.

Beside cellular and XM, what else may be in the sharkfin antenna?
GPS will be impacted as well, I believe, but you won't see that right away. At some point, you'll notice that the car will suddenly be very wrong with its GPS position.
Sponsored