What do you do to pass time while waiting at a fast charger?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Honestly, by the time I am done hitting the bathroom and either eating or sometimes just grabbing a drink or some road snacks, the charge is just about done. Sometimes I have a few minutes left to wait and just play around on my phone or chat with other folks charging.

That is unless the station isn't working right and is running slow, then I have some more time to kill!

hawkeye3point1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White ER RWD, Born on 12 Aug. '21
Country flag
Sit in the back seat with my laptop reading MME forum.com with NBC News playing on Sync and getting full benefit of the Pano.

Jonno21

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD Long Range Space White
Country flag
eh its what the warranty is for :)
Yes but it's something extra to think about which shouldn't be happening. I've been to my dealer so many times for warranty issues I'm almost on first name terms with the staff. I no longer praise my ownership of this car to others. Sad state of affairs really.

OP
OP

Harlaquin72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E GT
Country flag
Yes but it's something extra to think about which shouldn't be happening. I've been to my dealer so many times for warranty issues I'm almost on first name terms with the staff. I no longer praise my ownership of this car to others. Sad state of affairs really.
in all honesty i dont think evs were ready at all. i mean look at the laundry list off issue everyone s having with every brand. my two bmws the first one was so bad off they bought it back under lemon law and the second developed charging issues the first month. my audi was just not a good car and now in the forums look at the issues with the mach e. i really feel all ev owners were and are all just beta testers.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I think the "Blocks" game is pretty fun and addictive. I've used the Youtube app (and YoutubeTV) a few times, but honestly it's just too slow and clunky. I just use a laptop or tablet if I want to stream anything.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Latest OTA 4.1.3 allows you to connect to public WiFi. If that’s not available, I set my phone as a hotspot and connect vehicle to it. YouTube streams nicely with the 5G signal.
Ya I got that update and tired to connect it to my car's hotpot and it won't. I only get like 5GB of hotspot on my cellphone. I paid for the car's hotspot mostly for work, but its super annoying that the Youtube app won't use the connection the car already has...

randomvoice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E GT
Country flag
Show my kids what a Walmart looks like
Man Walmart gets too much hate but I honestly like strolling around there once in a while. The place has everything so I ensure I pick up all the shit I need for my roadtrip or groceries while coming back. Corporate hate aside, it is a nice 1 stop shop for everything.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Man Walmart gets too much hate but I honestly like strolling around there once in a while. The place has everything so I ensure I pick up all the shit I need for my roadtrip or groceries while coming back. Corporate hate aside, it is a nice 1 stop shop for everything.
It’s more the clientele that’s the attraction 😂

P. T. Magoo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 Volt, '22 MME Ca Rt-1
Occupation
Physical Therapist, Freelance Trombonist
Country flag
I'm old-school. I keep a paperback handy and read a few pages while charging. Same book goes with me into a waiting room or any other place I anticipate some down time.

Richard L.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Ya I got that update and tired to connect it to my car's hotpot and it won't. I only get like 5GB of hotspot on my cellphone. I paid for the car's hotspot mostly for work, but its super annoying that the Youtube app won't use the connection the car already has...
The hotspot will allow others in your vehicle to connect with devices that support WiFi like tablets. Unless you or if you have children that need it, it’s a waste of money. To watch the streaming apps on your Sync screen they want you to pay for that separate service. Again to me, it’s a waste of money.
What I suggested was to turn on your phones hotspot function and then go into Syncs WiFi settings. Search for the phones hotspot and connect. It will perform the same as if home connected to your WiFi. Problem solved. 4.1.3 will allow you to connect to public WiFi if available. Again you need to go into Syncs WiFi settings to connect. Suggest turning off the vehicles hotspot setting when doing either of the above.

Creegz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E California Route 1
Country flag
I've mostly found myself chatting with people charging or doing some Duolingo. Played my Steam Deck once because I happened to have it with me.

I have never considered trying to make the screen do something for me.

Whiskymaker

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
01 Dakota, , 22 Grabber Blue Mach E XAWD
Occupation
Distiller
Country flag
Generally our only "long" trip is from the Front Range of CO to NP Nebraska, through one of the most abysmal stretches of charging on the planet ( I think the Ogallala EA generally gets a lot of negative reviews). Turns out we can charge DCFC in Sterling, and there's a brewpub (Parts and Labor, in an old dealership, of all things) with tasty food options across the street. It's a 280ish mile trip, and Sterling is exactly halfway, so it's perfect.

Plus I have my sister convinced to let me pay for a 14-50 plug in the side of her garage. We currently charge in her dryer outlet - but that involves moving the dryer, ugh. The best part of charging at her house is we enjoy each other's company, cook food, and drink appropriate amounts of wine, beer, and cocktails - and sleep it off.

This year's plans include some lightweight camp chairs and a picnic basket. I'll probably increase my "range" from 168 lbs to 172 lbs or so, but I'm not too concerned as my BMI is pretty healthy.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
To watch the streaming apps on your Sync screen they want you to pay for that separate service. Again to me, it’s a waste of money.
100% agree... There is no way I'd pay $25 a month to watch YouTube for maybe an hour or two during the entire week... The car hotspot is unlimited data and I paid $200 for a full year of service. This is mostly for work as I get stuck at kid's practices and such and need to mobile office.

$25 is absurd IMO unless you are a major road warrior.
Sponsored