What do you love....and hate?

beckbear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus NX
Country flag
I'm new to EVs and am looking forward to ordering a 2023 MME (AWD Premium) as soon as pre-orders open. I'll be honest in that I'm considering some others (Cadillac Lyriq and Chevy Blazer or Equinox) - I prefer the MME but my husband isn't quite as sold (ultimately it'll be my decision). So, I thought that it would be nice to hear from someone other then the dealer one or two things that you love about the MME and one or two things that you dislike about it.
Sponsored

hbund216

First Name
Arv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Accord, and Mach-e
Country flag
The Mach-e is my wife's car but here is a list.

Dislike
Seats: the seat bottom only moves up and down. It does not have a seat bottom tilt feature like most cars do. Also no ventilated set option.
Thin wheels.
Phone as a key can be irritating

I like that the center AC vents are up high. I think Blazer's are low and that setup tends to blow cold air on hands and arms instead of face and torso.
The implementation of the door handles

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
After owning a MME AWD Premium Extended Range and putting 30k miles on it, I can honestly say it is one of the best overall vehicles on the market. I drive a lot of different vehicles via rentals and through my job and lifestyle. I was also evaluating switching to another EV. I could not justify changing vehicles even when gaining roughly 10k in profit!

Interior of premium is very nice. The screen is huge and, at least if using CarPlay, one of the most usable interfaces. HVAC controls could be a little better. Features are pretty much second to none, especially on a 23 with everything activated. BlueCruise, wireless CarPlay, glass roof, premium materials, beautiful design, etc. Getting all those features in other brands pushes it into a much higher cost bracket from what I’ve seen.

Performance of my trim is also great, maybe not class leading but functionally the same. Range, acceleration, sporty handling, charging performance are pretty much best in class or very close in real world use. One drawback is some experience a bouncy ride - I don’t personally have that issue so I can’t really comment.

Reliability is a slight issue for me (haven’t had my vehicle for 3 weeks now because of a failed part in battery) but I would expect a 23 to have 90+% of the issues I’ve seen already corrected. I would expect similar issues from the competitors you mentioned because they are job 1 vehicles for 2023 model year.

Good luck in your search.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Overall performance and handling (premium AWD ER)
High quality interior
Sync 4A (yes, we all complain about it, but it is good, and the 15.5” screen is very nice!)
Door opening mechanisms are cool
BlueCruise HandsFree is great in areas where it works (again, remember, this is Ford’s first time out of the gate)
Appearance (ok, that’s subjective)
Interior space
Range (see below)

Dislikes
Seats - they should have fore and aft tilt and they should be ventilated. The rear outboard positions should be heated. The rear seat backs should recline like the ones on the Escape
Key fob should have a frunk release
Hard button to turn on cameras at low speeds (below 5 MPH)
Charger door is a joke - go find someone who designed every fuel filler flap for every ICE car since the 1970s and get that person to design the charger door. It shouldn’t be the complicated “will it close?” “Will it randomly pop open” thing they have now
Wider tires (subjective)
Winter range (every electric car has this issue and I don’t think there’s any way to fix it short of a Ford Nucleon)

tjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e
Country flag
Dislikes:
Bouncy suspension
Slow software updates
No pet mode, no sentry mode, etc
Slow UI
Auto drive better on tesla (ie slows down for turns, auto resumes at lights, flip the volume instead of having to touch the wheel, all round smoother)

hb45

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Ext AWD, Dark Mater Grey
Country flag
Dislikes:
Bouncy suspension
Slow software updates
No pet mode, no sentry mode, etc
Slow UI
Auto drive better on tesla (ie slows down for turns, auto resumes at lights, flip the volume instead of having to touch the wheel, all round smoother)
What about likes….. or do you wish you didn’t buy it

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
Overall, it's a great car- a lot of its greatness is driven by it being an EV so it starts at a considerably higher level than any ICE, but it's a well-executed Ford product, I think. The styling is excellent, it has very good motors that should carry it far, and I think the range it's getting now is conservative and should go up as they refine the software.

Most of the annoyances (other than the charger door and the seats) are attributable to its early stage of development, and will likely be present in just about any EV that's not a Tesla or a Bolt.

I don't regret getting the GT at all, and don't want this next comment to reflect anything different, but I'm not certain I would make the same decision now as I did last December. At the time my Tesla 3P lease was running out and the MME was most likely to be available on time(ish). Today, the Lyriq is very interesting, Rivian and Lucid too. In another year or two, we'll be spoiled for choice.

You know what you need in a car better than anyone. The Lyriq and MME are functionally similar in a lot of ways, but points go to the MME for having more cars on the road and the consequent greater experience and refinement. I envy you the choices you get to make, but I don't envy you having to make the choice!

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have had my GT for 4 months and 4,000 miles. So far there is nothing I dislike about the car. My wife has worked for the local Ford dealer and we have owned/drove many models and this is the first vehicle she “loves.” I can not say it is any better than any other EV as I have no experience but it drives smooth, range is fine, charges straight forward (have only used Lvl 2 at home), no issues with Sync, sound system very good, plenty of room, seats comfortable. I will say I am an older owner and really do not mess with some of the tech items so those type of bugs have not affected me. I drive it 30 - 40 miles around town daily and rarely operate my ICE vehicles.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
I like the car overall for it’s styling, fit and finish, interactive cruise control and cost to operate.

Dislikes: PaaK is unreliable, the front seat should lower for easier entry. I have difficulty bending to have my head clear the top of the door opening. This car needs air cooled seats badly.

OP
OP

beckbear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus NX
Country flag
Sync 4A (yes, we all complain about it, but it is good, and the 15.5” screen is very nice!)
The screen is, interestingly, one of my husband's dislikes about the car. He feels that it is just a big iPad in the center of the car (feels that way about Tesla as well). It doesn't really bother me although I do kind of like the landscape screen in the Lyriq that angles towards the driver. Buying, or not buying, a car because of a screen seems kind of silly but am curious as to the usability of it. Yes, someday I'll be able to test drive and get a better feel for it but, as of now forced to ask questions...

OP
OP

beckbear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus NX
Country flag
Winter range (every electric car has this issue and I don’t think there’s any way to fix it short of a Ford Nucleon)
Is it just the range that gets affected by winter or does the time to charge as well? I live just outside Boston so am a little concerned. We also don't have a driveway and I'm not sure what impact that may have on charging.

Nemy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 DMG Mach-E Premium X
Country flag
Main dislike is the inconsistency of PAAK. It sucks to be all excited to walk up to your beautiful car only to be seen stuck standing outside for an inordinate amount of time. The delay also means that the puddle lamp doesn't come on appropriately when you approach so you don't get to enjoy it or show it off as much. Other minor gripes: wind buffeting when the rear windows are down and useless cargo cover.

The one thing I do like that's under appreciated is the volume knob. Other main likes are the kick sensor trunk and frunk space. I really do think Top Gear got it right by naming it the best family car. With the frunk and truck, there's plenty of space for everything. Safety features aplenty, tons of leg room, and still fun to drive (especially driving past priuses/leafs/gas stations).

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
Sound system
Center screen design, especially the physical knob
Power
Nav display in driver's cluster
Collision avoidance and side traffic warning cameras (when they are working)
Kick-to-open rear tailgate
Rear camera system
The cool pushbutton open rear doors
The overall size and cargo capability
Styling, and that people notice it
Cell phone inductive charger
Low noise level on smooth roads and highways

Dislikes:
That the front camera and collision avoidance system fails almost every time I drive it
Ford's apparent reliance on OTA software updates that are very slow to roll out
Center console plastic edges can hurt a passenger's leg
"L" regen should be a gear selection, not a pushbutton
Parking assist is useless, at least it is to me
Ride can be rough on non-perfect roads if tires are maintained at high pressure
Tires lose pressure over time and want to settle at 34PSI no matter where they start
A/C vents blow on my hands while driving

Wish it had:
Paddle-select regen engage
Cooled seats
Pony puddle lights on when exiting vehicle
Better hands-free phone integration
Better split zone A/C controls. The separate settings do not "stick" after power off.
Power-off cabin temperature system like my Tesla had. I could program it to maintain the cabin below 105, for example, and it would run the A/C if needed while parked.

My wife noted that she would love it if the passenger seat swiveled toward the door to help her get in and out (disabled access improvement)
Sponsored

Last edited: