What do you think the used MME market will be like?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
We get Ford's A-Plan, which lets us buy ours at $1,929 below MSRP. We ordered ours in May, acquired one last week due to a cancelled order, and kept ours on order for expected late Fall delivery. I will evaluate closer to delivery date whether it makes sense to take the new one and sell the 6 month old one.
Sponsored

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
My buddy who is a sales manager at the dealership I bought my Mach said that it's too early to tell but if Tesla is any indication, resale value is going to remain high. The Mach E in my opinion might end up being just as, if not more popular than the Tesla. Even if they don't get the "iTs NoT a MuStAnG" people on board, it's still going to be a popular vehicle.

I've owned a lot of good looking, attention grabbing cars and I've never owned a car that has gotten as much attention in the first week of ownership as the Mach E has. It's insane!

That being said, I predict this is going to be a really popular vehicle so resale/trade-in value will be high.
I suspect the major factor on resale will be predicted battery life. Warranty is ok, but beyond 100,000 miles, how much longer will that battery hold up before degradation drops to unacceptable level?

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
We get Ford's A-Plan, which lets us buy ours at $1,929 below MSRP. We ordered ours in May, acquired one last week due to a cancelled order, and kept ours on order for expected late Fall delivery. I will evaluate closer to delivery date whether it makes sense to take the new one and sell the 6 month old one.
Must be nice not having to pay sales tax! Where do you live? Sales tax keeps you in cars longer here in Virginia.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Must be nice not having to pay sales tax! Where do you live? Sales tax keeps you in cars longer here in Virginia.
Who said we don't pay sales tax? 6%

Just to be clear, I have no expectation that I'll be able to buy and sell a Mach-E every 6 months and make a profit, or breakeven. All I said was that since I can buy one for ~$2,000 below MSRP, I'll be watching to see how things shake out and if it makes sense to do that.

As an example, we leased our 2018 Fusion Energi because it was several thousand dollars cheaper than buying due to Ford A-Plan incentives in our state. In short, Ford wanted employees and families of employees to lease it. They basically rolled the PHEV credit into it, plus lots of incentives. We leased with an expectation of buying the vehicle at the end of the lease 3 years later (very low residual due to forecasted poor retention of value), and at least breakeven if not make a bit.

Instead, due to the crazy used car prices, right now our vehicle is worth roughly 2X the residual price. Funds are on way to Ford right now to buy it out for residual, and we've listed it for sale at just over 2x the residual. Once we get title back from Ford and then our state DMV, I'll add it to AutoTrader. At the very worst, I expect to recoop our full costs - 36 lease payments, residual buyout, and fees, after 3 years. So owning a PHEV for 3 years will cost us electricity, some gas, and an oil change (done by me).

Last edited:

praxiscat

First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E, Tesla Model 3
Country flag
I suspect the major factor on resale will be predicted battery life. Warranty is ok, but beyond 100,000 miles, how much longer will that battery hold up before degradation drops to unacceptable level?
This may be where ford's battery plan where 88 out of the 99 kWh being usable becomes useful. They are adding in a 11% buffer.
I should note too, battery degradation doesn't become a real issue until around 250k miles, sometimes a million miles. There are fleet Teslas out there with far more that work fine. So 100k miles is not a good guidepost for this for EVs. There are many EVs well past 100k miles that sell great used, and work great. Better than ICE vehicles over that range. Beauty of electric motors, less wear and tear.

However...
This is why I think ER is the only way to go. It will be a better car in the long run. It will hold its resale value better, because used EV shoppers will be looking for the used ER MME, and they will retain high demand. Right now the ER ones are the ones dealers can barely keep on lots. Especially as ford does more to improve efficiency of the electric motors over OTA updates. For the record, this has to be considered as well. The car is going to improve over time in other ways with OTA updates. This was NOT possible before, and cars that can do OTA updates, whether its Tesla or the MME, will hold their value better.

Also...I didn't pay a sales tax on my MME for DC. DC has a sales tax exemption for electric vehicles. Benefits of DC's recent environmental laws. Same goes for my Husband's Model 3.

Last edited:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
NJ has no sales tax on ZEV cars either