What does sitting in a parking lot in Mexico for three months do to a battery?

DrAchoo

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Rapid Red RWD, St. Batt Mach E
Country flag
I can't imagine this is the best way to welcome a new battery into life. My MME was built mid July and I assume is still sitting somewhere in Mexico without a brain. Is this of concern considering I still don't have a delivery estimate and it will likely be 3-4 months without a charge?
Sponsored

Chudsaviet

First Name
Timofei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 EV6 First Edition AWD, 2014 Leaf
Occupation
Software
Country flag
Don't worry at all. They all come with like 60% charge from the factory, which is ideal charge level to store a lithium battery. It will be fine.

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
The biggest concern would be the heat… Regardless, Ford is going to warranty them so I wouldn’t worry about it. Cars are meant to be driven and parked. If they can’t handle that it’s not very good as a car.

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
To be more specific the biggest concern is heat or cold while charging and discharging. As it is just sitting there at a mid level charge it will lose about 1% per month of charge which does not count. Should have almost zero impact on battery life.

QuRace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford MME RWD/ER (Space White)
Country flag
I can't imagine this is the best way to welcome a new battery into life. My MME was built mid July and I assume is still sitting somewhere in Mexico without a brain. Is this of concern considering I still don't have a delivery estimate and it will likely be 3-4 months without a charge?
I'm in the same boat.

I'm actually not terribly worried, as has already been mentioned, about the HV battery which, if Ford knows what they're doing, should come charged about half way from the factory, and will happily stay there for extended periods of time.

I'm more concerned about the 12 V battery. Those do, in general, discharge at an appreciable rate w/ all the electronic gizmos present in modern cars. And 2, 3 months can (will) deep discharge them, and they'll be damaged in the process. That argument will only be moot if the 12 V battery were charged from the HV battery while the car is sitting in the yard(s) - but I actually am not sure if our MMEs can/will do that.

But eventually, and this has also been mentioned before, I'm more worried about the paint & interior being baked (aka fast-forward-aged), in the hot Mexican midday sun, for weeks on end. â›±

Last edited:

vinny2487

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E CA Route 1 (Star White)
Country flag
The owner's manual for the MME stats that if you intend to store the car for a prolonged period, keep the charge at 50%. As long as the cars leave the assembly at 50% charge (and I assume they are), I wouldn't worry too much.

As @QuRace mentioned, I'd be more worried about the paint/clear coat. Sitting that long for months without a proper wash can't be good for the paint.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Mine was built in early December 2020 and I picked it up in February this year. Sales person also said that it arrived at the dealership with over 90% charge so don't think they sit at 60% but everyone is different. Mine also sat at the speedway back when there were some issues.

Having said all that: No problems with my car in the past 7 months. Range is as expected for a CA Rt1.

No issues with the paint either.

JRT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2wd Premium
Country flag
I had more issues with the water stains on the paint and windshield. I was able to clean up the finish, glass took more effort but got ride of them.

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
If it kept its ears open for those three months it might have picked up a few words of Spanish.

;)
Sponsored