Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I blame automatic transmissions for people not immediately adopting 1PD. I also blame automatics for traffic jams, distracted driving, and the demise of Western civilization.
All of my other current cars have three pedals and 5 forward gears. I use 2PD. Of course my driving coach used to get on me about using my right foot on the brake. I know left foot braking is faster, but my feet seem not to care. 😰🐩
Sponsored

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
All of my other current cars have three pedals and 5 forward gears. I use 2PD. Of course my driving coach used to get on me about using my right foot on the brake. I know left foot braking is faster, but my feet seem not to care. 😰🐩
I will occasionally left foot brake in an automatic when I forget I'm not in a stick. That's not as much fun.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I change drive modes based upon where I’m driving.

Local/city driving: Unbridled / 1PD. Easier in stop and go.

Expressway: Whisper / 2PD. Better adaptive cruise behavior (disengagement, deceleration and acceleration to maintain the set gaps are much smoother).

MrsZuko

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Space White MME GTPE
Occupation
NP
Country flag
That's the #1 reason I don't like 1PD -- getting in/out of garages and parking spots. Those short little finesse movements are trickier without creep and a foot on the brake pedal. It was harder to inch forward just a little bit more in the garage (or a parking lot space), especially from a full stop.

It's also counterintuitive. In a split-second moment of panic when you're inches from hitting the wall, the natural inclination is to press down in the pedal, not let up. I know people eventually get used to that, but I didn't really want to after 45 years of driving that way. Plus I have an ICE car too that I sometimes still drive.
See, I find 1PD to be VERY easy to finesse. I can feather the throttle just as I would letting off of the brake pedal. I back into my garage every day and I find it creeps no problem?

I was just telling my in laws last night that 1PD does change the way you think, I was driving my husband's truck not that long ago and let off the accelerator only to be reminded that I needed to use the brake to stop lol. Luckily it's like riding a bike, but it is something to consider.

I drive my GTPE largely in Engage, 1PD for my day to day. I find the regen braking to be my favorite in this mode, I like a slower deceleration and I've pretty much got the timing down now. I do enjoy Unbridled as well, just depends on my mood.

j1mb0b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT, 2023 MME Premium RWD
Country flag
Have been driving 1PD engage most of the time, but just recently switched to 1PD unbridled. I like the ability to control the regen braking better in unbridled without needing to touch the brake pedal. Found that in engage I sometimes misjudged a little and would need to move my foot to the brake pedal. Only thing I don't like about 1PD in unbridled is the lack of brake coach. I like that in engage.

michaelmmegt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Country flag
See, I find 1PD to be VERY easy to finesse. I can feather the throttle just as I would letting off of the brake pedal. I back into my garage every day and I find it creeps no problem?
I agree, it takes a bit to get used to coming from a non electric car, but after a few weeks of owning my gtpe I had no issue with fine control of speed in tight garage spaces using 1PD. I do always switch to whisper in the garage for the finer control at low speed.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E What drive modes do you use the most? And is it different between models? POLL 1666040758729

I wouldn't use valet anyway I've seen them in action:rolleyes:
LOL back in the ‘80s one of my co-workers moonlighted as a valet in one of the City of San Francisco ‘s parking lots. He called it the City Park and Wreck Department. 🤪🐩

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
I use Unbidled. Unless my wife is in the car then I use Whisper. She feels that the brakes are rubbing in Unbridled so I just switch.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
Only thing I don't like about 1PD in unbridled is the lack of brake coach. I like that in engage.
I didn't know what the brake coach is, so I watched the Ford video on it: What is Brake Coach? (ford.com)

Now I know what it is, and still don't want it. However, I do want to drive that intersection- you could easily get all four tires off the ground on a clear green! You should also be able to come to a complete stop on it with no brakes, no matter what kind of car you drive. Such an odd animation...

Sneezy

First Name
Sneezy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 Trans Am Firehawk, 21 Mach E Premium EXT.
Occupation
NRA Rifle Instructor
Country flag
All the comments here further highlights the need for a custom drive mode with all the adjustable details spelled out. Also, still don't know how you all can work with 1pd drive, I didn't even last 5 minutes :p
Take a deep breath and understand that it's doing the " slowing" for you. I took it as a challenge to learn how to drive differently. I almost never use the brake pedal anymore. The downside is my rotors look like crap and need regular Italian tune ups.
I do turn of 1PD for the winter.

CompilerBreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT
Country flag
Take a deep breath and understand that it's doing the " slowing" for you. I took it as a challenge to learn how to drive differently. I almost never use the brake pedal anymore. The downside is my rotors look like crap and need regular Italian tune ups.
I do turn of 1PD for the winter.
With the blended braking system whether you're actively braking or using 1 pedal you get the same effect, it uses the motors as much as it can and then switches to friction brakes. It doesn't necessarily regen any more in 1pd than you can get out of regular braking. My problem with 1pd is that it is far too dramatic deceleration vs "normal" driving.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
My problem with 1pd is that it is far too dramatic deceleration vs "normal" driving.
Totally get it. The ICE habit you have to break is to not fully lift off the accelerator when you want to slow down. If you want to slow a little, lift just a little. Once you get the feel for how to modulate your foot pressure it becomes second nature really quickly. It's a rheostat, not a button - you can turn up the go power by pressing, and turn up the slow power by lifting. Press more or lift more and you get more go or more slow.

The second step is to trust the car a bit - it IS going to stop you, you just have to let it (and get a feel for where it's going to stop). It'll freak you out at first, but 99% of the time when you panic that it won't stop in time and press the brake, you don't feel like it's doing anything at al. The car is already slowing down as much as you would have told it to if you were using the brake pedal the whole time, but since you're not pressing the brake your brain thinks it's running away. Kind of a weird feeling, for sure. I catch myself occasionally tapping the brake, then feel like a dink because I know I didn't actually do anything and the Ford engineers who review the data will see it and say "knucklehead."

OP
OP
Lynsey

Lynsey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT - Star White
Country flag
This is my only car, and so I drove nothing else but this in 1 pedal drive. I had to take it in for service and they gave me a Ford Edge. OMG, I felt like I could barely drive. It was the weirdest thing. I got used to it after a day, but when I got my car back....OMG do I love the 1 pedal. It's like the fastest golf cart around 🤣🤣

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I change drive modes based upon where I’m driving.

Local/city driving: Unbridled / 1PD. Easier in stop and go.

Expressway: Whisper / 2PD. Better adaptive cruise behavior (disengagement, deceleration and acceleration to maintain the set gaps are much smoother).
I never knew adaptive cruise control behavior changed based on driving modes!
Sponsored