What efficiency do you get if you drive an EV like an ICE?

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So I am waiting for my MME, but we live in PA and our daughter lives in Flordia. It’s about 1250 door to door.
I have done the trip in 13 hours in my Cadillac CTS, and that is stopping every 3 hours for gas, bladder, food and dog walking.
We typically leave at 3am to ensure we miss the DC traffic.
When I look at the Mach e, I want to take it because of the blue cruise and the cost savings, but I keep thinking it will add 5 hours to the trip.
Just add charging at you stops every 3 hours that you already do. Charge while you are stopped for those other reasons. Most of the time the car will be ready when you are.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
So I am waiting for my MME, but we live in PA and our daughter lives in Flordia. It’s about 1250 door to door.
I have done the trip in 13 hours in my Cadillac CTS, and that is stopping every 3 hours for gas, bladder, food and dog walking.
We typically leave at 3am to ensure we miss the DC traffic.
When I look at the Mach e, I want to take it because of the blue cruise and the cost savings, but I keep thinking it will add 5 hours to the trip.
Pretty good estimation. Probably a little on the low side.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Just add charging at you stops every 3 hours that you already do. Charge while you are stopped for those other reasons. Most of the time the car will be ready when you are.
In reality you should plan on stopping every two hours, even if you drive the speed limit. You won't make it three hours at 80 mph, especially if you only charging to 80% at each stop.

I do agree that if you are stopping for another reason, like to eat, the car will not be a significant hold up. In my experience, I have had a take a little longer on bathroom stops to wait for the car, but it isn't bad. That is if you don't have to wait for a charger. If you have to wait for a charger, it is very painful. I will stop driving my EV on long trips if it becomes common to wait for a charger.

SashaLondon

First Name
Sasha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD SR
Country flag
I'm happy with the town efficiency (when the heating is off) however I drive the car. The air conditioning doesn't even affect it that badly.
Sponsored