What exactly is the Mach E's competition from Tesla?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
It seems Tesla can't quite decide what model they are selling:
https://evbite.com/it-looks-like-tesla-has-canceled-the-long-range-rwd-model-y/

IT LOOKS LIKE TESLA HAS CANCELED THE LONG RANGE RWD MODEL Y
written by Denis Gurskiy February 3, 2021
Model-Y-Front-34-Blue.jpg

One day it’s the Standard Range being canceled, the next it’s the Long Range RWD Model Y being canceled. The Tesla Model Y lineup continues to be in a state of flux as all of its originally unveiled trims have yet to be released. It now looks like the Long Range RWD Model Y will be canceled according to readers reaching out to Teslarati. Of course, we’ve heard of the cancellation of the Standard Rangefrom Elon Musk himself before, but yet we still started off the new year with a new Model Y, so who knows anymore.

During the middle of last year, we were expecting to have no SR Model Y and one LR RWD Model Y based on Musk’s tweets last year stating that they could not get the SR version above the 250-mile range sweet spot.

But yet here we are in 2021 with one SR Model Y with an “unacceptably low” range of 244 miles and no single motor LR to slot in between the SR and LR AWD versions of the Model Y. And it looks like (for now) there won’t be an LR RWD version of the Model Y in our future.

According to Teslarati, several of their readers have been contacted by Tesla sales staff informing them that they will be unable to continue with their pre-order as the trim has been canceled and as such, they are asked if they would be interested in going forward with an order for the SR or LR AWD version. Teslarati also reached out to a Tesla Showroom who had a sales advisor confirm to them that Tesla would not be going forward with production of the LR RWD Model Y.

It also seems that buyers are able to keep their initial FSD pricing for the new order. So if someone was to pre-order back in March 2019 when FSD still cost $7,000, Tesla will honor that price for the new order instead of charging them the current $10,000 price.

As usual with Tesla, it is unclear what the definitive reason for the cancellation is. It is however par the course for the company as they constantly like to be fluid with their business and product offerings. My guess is that it has something to do with the LR RWD having a very narrow space that it could fit between the two other trims. With Musk claiming that they were able to get it over 300 miles of range, it would have started to cannibalize sales away from the LR AWD and make it seem like a worse value. At least that’s how I see it. Regardless, I look forward to writing an article about a year from now detailing the release of the LR RWD Model Y.

What do you guys think was the cause of the cancellation, and will it actually stay canceled? Let us know down in the comments below.
Source: Teslarati

614442483c75e660014ff8d7837de0c6?s=100&d=blank&r=r.jpg

DENIS GURSKIY

1612382648869.png

digdug52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E 4X, 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Consistent for Tesla, commonly adding and dropping trims of their cars with very little notice. At least this brings the Model Y with the same range/trims of the Model 3: Performance, LR AWD, SR RWD. I am happy I was able to get my LR RWD Model 3 when I did.
This opens a door for the Mach-E with the California Route 1 and Premium ER RWD trims with range of 300 miles to capture some interested customers. The SR Model Y is close to the range of the VW ID.4 RWD so not much advantage on range, but still has the $7500 US tax credit (based on current laws, who knows what may change in coming year).