What happens if you're rear-ended with Auto Hold on?

BudC

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E Select RWD Star White Metallic
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Not that we want to test this, but I'm wondering what will happen if you're rear ended while sitting at a stop with Auto Hold on? In other words, you're sitting there without your foot on the brake pedal.

Will the MME go flying forward after the collision, or will it resist the urge to move like it would if you were sitting there with your foot on the brake pedal?
Sponsored

cryptk

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E GTPE, Blazer EV RS (reserved)
Country flag
The Mustang Mach-E has a Post-Collision Braking system, so with or without auto-hold, the vehicle will stop itself after it detects a collision.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The Mustang Mach-E has a Post-Collision Braking system, so with or without auto-hold, the vehicle will stop itself after it detects a collision.
Agreed. Just resist the temptation to suddenly slam your foot on the accelerator if you were using 1PD.

noway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Software developer
Country flag
It will probably just slide forward with all wheels locked up without even knowing it is moving, ABS can't know unless at least one wheel starts to rotate

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Not that we want to test this, but I'm wondering what will happen if you're rear ended while sitting at a stop with Auto Hold on? In other words, you're sitting there without your foot on the brake pedal.

Will the MME go flying forward after the collision, or will it resist the urge to move like it would if you were sitting there with your foot on the brake pedal?
The force of the collision will overcome the force of the brakes for a second, the same as if you were sitting with your foot on the pedal. You would go flying forward but then the post-collision braking would kick in and you would stop again shortly after. If there is a car in front of you, you will likely hit it either way.

OP
OP
BudC

BudC

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E Select RWD Star White Metallic
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I didn't know about the post-collision braking on the MME...this car keeps surprising me with what it has 😀

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
The manual explains all sorts of features that people have no clue they have, until they read it. ;)

In this case, it's called Post Impact Braking.

In the event of a moderate to severe crash,
the braking system reduces the vehicle’s
speed in order to prevent or reduce the
impact of a potential secondary crash.

Note that this feature will not function under a variety of conditions, including if the vehicle speed is below 6.2 miles per hour (10 km/h). It is also overridden if your foot is on the brake or accelerator pedal.

So, under the condition described, it may or may not function.

Tscates1

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Explorer
Country flag

I have the same question. With what brake pedal intensity is "auto hold" equivalent to? If I see someone barreling towards me while I'm sitting at a traffic light (and I have no out), should I also depress the brakes so as to not hit the car in front of me as hard?

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I have the same question. With what brake pedal intensity is "auto hold" equivalent to? If I see someone barreling towards me while I'm sitting at a traffic light (and I have no out), should I also depress the brakes so as to not hit the car in front of me as hard?
Yes. It’s a medium pressure hold just so the vehicle doesn’t roll on an incline, similar to a parking brake.
Sponsored