What happens to unbuilt orders when new model year announced

willowma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium ER AWD on order
Country flag
I ordered in February and at this rate may only get a scheduled build date in July. Wouldn't take much more delay to have 2022 announced before it's built. Does Ford generally allow changing orders to next model year in a case like this?
Sponsored

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I believe they will stop taking orders once they reach whatever number they planned on making this year, Or when the date for the 2021 year cutoff is. From watching other forums over the years, Ford will have a specific date when orders open, when production starts, and then when orders close, followed by production stopping for that model.

Basically, if you get an order in, you'll get what you ordered. Delays this year COULD have an impact on that, but I don't really see it happening.

Then you have a company like Tesla, They shut down the plant to prepare for a refresh, but were still letting people order the old model. Then they announce the new design and immediately start manufacturing it. So there are customers left in a sort of limbo not knowing what they might get.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
I ordered in February and at this rate may only get a scheduled build date in July. Wouldn't take much more delay to have 2022 announced before it's built. Does Ford generally allow changing orders to next model year in a case like this?
Normally the ordering period is closed before this can happen, but hey, COVID. You would likely be given the option to take a 2022.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
There's a date after which Ford will no longer accept new orders for a MY, which is weeks in advance of the final date that MY is built, which lets them schedule all the orders for production "Balance Out" is what they call that, if your dealer uses that term.

What they mean with the GT is (I suspect) that GT is coming so late in the MY that there's no way they can build all they expect to receive initial orders for, so they're telling some people they'll get 2022s.
Sponsored