What if First Edition was called Collectors Edition...

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
FE buyers: Would you have still purchased a "Collectors Edition" or a "Founders Edition" if that was the name instead of First Edition? With all the confusion about folks assuming FE vehicles meant delivered absolutely first, would a different name have made a difference? Would you have purchased a Premium instead?
i would not have bothered with these names because they are the same cars - my Premium was /is AWD extended range battery so outside of cosmetic things they are the same cars and I would saved money by sticking to the premium. Only reason to go FE via MachDrop was the perception that they would delivered earlier. I dont have dates for either at this time and I may drop the MachDRop if they are closer in delivery dates

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
And that would have been fine until they came up with the great idea of Mach Drop . . . . . . . .
No argument here. The Mach Drop was a disaster from what I've seen. I'm glad I already had my FE reserved from the start.

jparduhn70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
My Mach Drop motive had nothing to do with moving up my delivery date. I assumed all along that given my 100072XX reservation number that it wasn't going to change much, if at all, given First Editions were still available when I made the reservation. Since it is really a Premium ER AWD, I was drawn to the little upgrades like the painted calipers, body-colored wheel well trim, and the interior upgrades like red stitching and the stainless steel pedals, all for a relatively small increase in price for some limited time exclusivity from other Premiums. Where my attitude started to change was when the price decreases were announced, and now I'm looking at $2700 more after X-Plan pricing. I'm not so sure that those little upgrades are worth it. The uncertainty about the build date is just making me question it more.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
My Mach Drop motive had nothing to do with moving up my delivery date. I assumed all along that given my 100072XX reservation number that it wasn't going to change much, if at all, given First Editions were still available when I made the reservation. Since it is really a Premium ER AWD, I was drawn to the little upgrades like the painted calipers, body-colored wheel well trim, and the interior upgrades like red stitching and the stainless steel pedals, all for a relatively small increase in price for some limited time exclusivity from other Premiums. Where my attitude started to change was when the price decreases were announced, and now I'm looking at $2700 more after X-Plan pricing. I'm not so sure that those little upgrades are worth it. The uncertainty about the build date is just making me question it more.
Going to admit that someone has a white Ford Taurus parked in a lot that I pass on the way home that has nice looking wheels and those red brake calipers that has me glad I have a FE. It really looks pretty sharp, and while I still wish we would have gotten the same discount, I still really like the cosmetic touches on the FE.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
FE buyers: Would you have still purchased a "Collectors Edition" or a "Founders Edition" if that was the name instead of First Edition? With all the confusion about folks assuming FE vehicles meant delivered absolutely first, would a different name have made a difference? Would you have purchased a Premium instead?
I honestly don't know because I had multiple reasons for buying a First Edition. It wasn't just the "First" part - it was being seen as an early adopter, and some special features including a unique color, and a certain level of assumption that it would be worth a bit more at the other end.

There was also the idea that I've long since reached the point in my life where I'm going to buy the nicest version of any particular thing I can afford because it avoids buyer's remorse later. (I bought my Fusion Energi as what I am pretty sure was an FCTP car [I didn't know that term until this forum], so it was as-configured off the lot, and it had literally every option except the adaptive cruise. I still sometimes wish I had that one remaining option though - buyer's remorse on that, despite that fact that I absolutely love the car. The three cars before that were all fully optioned.) From that point of view, it could have been called "Idiots With Too Much Money Edition" or "Not Really a Mustang But I Don't Care Edition" or even the "Camaro Edition" (*) and it wouldn't have mattered.

The price difference was never a part of it because I'm not paying the difference, I'm paying the total price. In other words, I started with "am I willing to pay this much for this complete set of things", not "am I willing to pay this much more for this add-on set of things." I completely understand from the approximately 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 posts complaining about spending less money overall but more for the difference between the trim levels that this point of view is not shared by everyone.

(*) actually, that one would have mattered, tbh

MurphyDog

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Going to admit that someone has a white Ford Taurus parked in a lot that I pass on the way home that has nice looking wheels and those red brake calipers that has me glad I have a FE. It really looks pretty sharp, and while I still wish we would have gotten the same discount, I still really like the cosmetic touches on the FE.
Here is an alternative to painted brake calipers - https://www.calipercovers.com/

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
I would have purchased an FE if there was an option for lighter interior, almost went for it anyway thinking it would mean earlier delivery. Now I think I'll buy a can of red hi-temp gloss paint once I get shipping confirmation on my premium. It I was getting a black one I could use the paint I already have ;) do like that color seat stitching though.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I honestly don't know because I had multiple reasons for buying a First Edition. It wasn't just the "First" part - it was being seen as an early adopter, and some special features including a unique color, and a certain level of assumption that it would be worth a bit more at the other end.

There was also the idea that I've long since reached the point in my life where I'm going to buy the nicest version of any particular thing I can afford because it avoids buyer's remorse later. (I bought my Fusion Energi as what I am pretty sure was an FCTP car [I didn't know that term until this forum], so it was as-configured off the lot, and it had literally every option except the adaptive cruise. I still sometimes wish I had that one remaining option though - buyer's remorse on that, despite that fact that I absolutely love the car. The three cars before that were all fully optioned.) From that point of view, it could have been called "Idiots With Too Much Money Edition" or "Not Really a Mustang But I Don't Care Edition" or even the "Camaro Edition" (*) and it wouldn't have mattered.

The price difference was never a part of it because I'm not paying the difference, I'm paying the total price. In other words, I started with "am I willing to pay this much for this complete set of things", not "am I willing to pay this much more for this add-on set of things." I completely understand from the approximately 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 posts complaining about spending less money overall but more for the difference between the trim levels that this point of view is not shared by everyone.

(*) actually, that one would have mattered, tbh
When it was $1,600 more at the launch I was surprised it was that much more for such few style features but with the Grabber Blue it was worth it. If it had been $3,600 more from the start I might have just gone with a Rapid Red Premium instead.

Once the discounts came in, I was able to justify that it was still $1000 cheaper than I thought I was paying and didn't worry too much that the Premium would have saved another $2K. It helped that my wife really likes the body colored wheel lips much more than the black ones.

GatorCat

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E FE Grabber Blue, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
Occupation
HR Total Rewards
Country flag
This a great question. I wanted the FE much for the Grabber Blue color and the timing of delivery this year. The Premium price cuts made the value prop less enticing but I’m holding on to an early delivery.

Once we MachDroppers get build dates if it gets pushed toward spring I may just look to convert to GT although I don’t want to go below 270 range.

Now maybe if Ford decided to upgrade all the FE models with a FREE upgrade to the Active Driver Assist next year then it would sit better with me... it’s the least they could do to make up for the weirdness of this whole FE concept and machflop.

Matthewmohan

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E First Edition Grabber Blue
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
I’m in the same boat as all of you “MachFloppers”. My dealer called me yesterday. He had no info yet. He’s not sure why I got the premium reservation build notice. He hopes I will get my FE build date this Thursday. That also happens to be the day I was coming in for the road show so maybe I will get more info face to face. This fiasco is not on the dealers so I do not fault them in any way. Does anyone know if dealers were allowed to order FE’s as part of their FCTP or Demo fleet?

PMDGator

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E FE, C-Max
Country flag
Glad to know I'm not the only one nagging my dealership. Haven't been told the sales manager isn't in (he's who had been handing the Mach-E stuff), but he hasn't responded to any messages. Feel a little bad calling each day, but I don't see why someone can't at least talk to me to see what I need/want.
My dealer has been very responsive, calling and texting, however, they don't have any information according to them. They have my order, added the interior protection package I wanted, but the last response I got was literally "just don't know yet".

Also, for me it was about color, Grabber Blue or Infinite Blue. That's what initially swung me the most. Plus, I did think that reserving and FE at launch, and order back at the end of June would put me in the front of the list, but I guess not since I've gotten nothing yet on build date.

I have a charity breakfast event just before Christmas every year and when they announced it would be a drive-in tailgating event this year b/c of COVID I initially thought, wouldn't that just be an awesome way to show my friends my new Mach-E up close before they see it anywhere else? I knew it was likely a long shot, but now I am not expecting it at all by year end. Still hoping for the best, but certainly not counting on anything from Ford.

Last edited:

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I think you have actually described it properly. I think the First Edition will still be "among" the first cars produced and delivered -- just not the very first.
Well perhaps they should have named it "AMONG THE FIRST" Edition.
Sponsored