What if First Edition was called Collectors Edition...

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Well after many many many voicemails I finally was able to touch base with my dealer. After looking up my info in the order bank, he said it appeared I had 2 orders in, but both were for PREMIUMS and NOT the First Edition he helped me order through the Mach Drop program. He could see my Premium had a build date week of 14 Dec, but he couldn't see anything scheduled for the other car. He couldn't understand why that other car wasn't listed as a First Edition. Based on the color (carbonized grey), I knew that was the First Edition I wanted to replace my Premium with. Regardless, I told him I wanted to cancel that Grey car and keep my original Premium Infiniti Blue order, with the established build date. Additionally, he changed the order from a RWD to an AWD. He assured me I wouldn't lose my place in line, and that everything would be okay. SO....I should be officially done with the MachFlop debacle, and on with my Premium order, but with AWD instead of RWD. Surprisingly, he said he could not see a VIN for my Premium. When I said others have called their dealers and obtained their VINs, he seemed surprised. That doesn't give me a warm feeling. By the way, if you're in Springfield VA, he said they expect to have the demo car in late November.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Well perhaps they should have named it "AMONG THE FIRST" Edition.
Back early in the year, I thought First Edition might just be more of an "early special edition" mixed in the early part of the build. But there was so much insider info here suggesting FEs should be completed in the first 3 weeks of production that I let myself get sucked in. Should have stuck with my first instinct.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Does anyone know if dealers were allowed to order FE’s as part of their FCTP or Demo fleet?
Most EV certified dealers were allocated 1 FCTP vehicle and it is my understanding they could not be a First Edition. However, some dealerships were allocated additional units. My dealer has 2 total, a Premium and a First Edition so I presume those with multiple FCTP allocations could get a First Edition if desired.

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
In retrospect, I would have ordered the Premium rather than the FE. On the order date, the price difference was only $1,600 and I bought into the "built first" mantra. I stuck with it when the price differential changed to $3,600, but getting the "first" cars and getting the credit this year persuaded me to stay the course. Now, it looks like I would have gotten the Premium at the exact same time, paid less and had much better color choices. Now I don't want to get pushed back in the schedule given timing considerations on my existing vehicles. Oh well, the fate of the early adopter.
Exact reason I went premium despite being a 5000 reservation

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Well after many many many voicemails I finally was able to touch base with my dealer. After looking up my info in the order bank, he said it appeared I had 2 orders in, but both were for PREMIUMS and NOT the First Edition he helped me order through the Mach Drop program. He could see my Premium had a build date week of 14 Dec, but he couldn't see anything scheduled for the other car. He couldn't understand why that other car wasn't listed as a First Edition. Based on the color (carbonized grey), I knew that was the First Edition I wanted to replace my Premium with. Regardless, I told him I wanted to cancel that Grey car and keep my original Premium Infiniti Blue order, with the established build date. Additionally, he changed the order from a RWD to an AWD. He assured me I wouldn't lose my place in line, and that everything would be okay. SO....I should be officially done with the MachFlop debacle, and on with my Premium order, but with AWD instead of RWD. Surprisingly, he said he could not see a VIN for my Premium. When I said others have called their dealers and obtained their VINs, he seemed surprised. That doesn't give me a warm feeling. By the way, if you're in Springfield VA, he said they expect to have the demo car in late November.
UPDATE:
I may have celebrated too soon. Dealer contacted and advised that he contacted his Ford Factory Rep to verify my change from RWD to AWD went through, he was told since it was already scheduled, he would do his best to alter the order. He said he’d let me know. Also, he gave me the VIN! I’ve already created my profile in the Ford App. Today is a better day.

OP
OP

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
UPDATE:
I may have celebrated too soon. Dealer contacted and advised that he contacted his Ford Factory Rep to verify my change from RWD to AWD went through, he was told since it was already scheduled, he would do his best to alter the order. He said he’d let me know. Also, he gave me the VIN! I’ve already created my profile in the Ford App. Today is a better day.
Hmm... VINs are different for RWD and AWD. Characters 5 through 7: K3S is AWD, where K3R is RWD.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Hmm... VINs are different for RWD and AWD. Characters 5 through 7: K3S is AWD, where K3R is RWD.
Great....the VIN is probably for the RWD. (3FMTK3R76MMA0XXXX — what do you think?). If it gets switched, I guess I’d get a new VIN. Regardless, I’ll be happy either way. I hope the dealer/factory can come up big for me. Thanks for the knowledge about the VIN number.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I sat with my dealer rep a couple weekends ago and he had all the orders pulled up on his screen. They have two FCTP vehicles on order and he kept getting confused because they both show up as K3S which is the Premium model. He then had to scan to the right to see the 301A equipment package which denotes First Edition. I bet that is why your dealer thought both of your orders were Premium......which is technically correct. Just one of those had the optional 301A package....

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Back early in the year, I thought First Edition might just be more of an "early special edition" mixed in the early part of the build. But there was so much insider info here suggesting FEs should be completed in the first 3 weeks of production that I let myself get sucked in. Should have stuck with my first instinct.
I think I remember it that way too.....
The talk was that Ford was trying hard to get all the First Editions built before OKTB. Which I immediately questioned because the EU/UK First Editions obviously weren't included in that plan. I also questioned if First Editions were in fact first because that just didn't make logistical sense to me. It really is just a option package on a Premium model of course so there wasn't any real reason they had to be made first but I was overruled several times. :)

My dealer offered me a First Edition the week before the Mach Drop announcement and I went ahead with it believing it was nearly guaranteed to deliver before end of the year. The cosmetic differences on the FE actually appeal to me because it reminded me of my 2005 GTO which was a car I enjoyed. Both have black interior with red stitching, both have aluminum pedals (MME are just covers but still....), both have red painted calipers, both have premium optional alloy wheels and both have nearly identical 0-60 times.
Additionally, I prefer wheel moldings and mirrors to be painted to match the body so that was another plus for me.

Didn't really want the extended range battery but that is necessary in order to get that level of performance so I was okay with it.

So, even if Ford called it something different......I likely would still make the same choice. Either way, it's still bound to be delivered way before my reservation # 10058161 Premium Infinite Blue-Light Space Gray-AWD-Standard Range model (which my wife intends on purchasing still...).

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I sat with my dealer rep a couple weekends ago and he had all the orders pulled up on his screen. They have two FCTP vehicles on order and he kept getting confused because they both show up as K3S which is the Premium model. He then had to scan to the right to see the 301A equipment package which denotes First Edition. I bet that is why your dealer thought both of your orders were Premium......which is technically correct. Just one of those had the optional 301A package....
Ahh, you’re probably right. Makes sense.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I only ordered the FE Drop to tide me over till the GT order came out late next year. I had prior had a Y ordered but, well that's a wrong turn. I assumed the "First Edition was First, not dribbled in whenever. This year tax credit was a huge factor, but I was skeptical all along of a December delivery, based on my prior experience with similar Ford new launches out of Mexico.

But I am now resigned to just waiting for "whenever". "In any case, since ordering the FE, I have now decided I don't like the Shiny black wheel arches of the Premium, and I am happy the way the FE looks, especially in the Grabber Blue, which could have easily accounted for a $2k paint markup in many other new vehicles.

First Edition

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E - Failure To Launch Edition
Country flag
FE buyers: Would you have still purchased a "Collectors Edition" or a "Founders Edition" if that was the name instead of First Edition? With all the confusion about folks assuming FE vehicles meant delivered absolutely first, would a different name have made a difference? Would you have purchased a Premium instead?
Maybe Ford should just rename First Editions:

Co-Opt 3600 TM

It has the advantage of accuracy plus doesn’t stray from Ford’s other branding.

JTK44

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
FE buyers: Would you have still purchased a "Collectors Edition" or a "Founders Edition" if that was the name instead of First Edition? With all the confusion about folks assuming FE vehicles meant delivered absolutely first, would a different name have made a difference? Would you have purchased a Premium instead?
When i reserved the FE I assumed it would be First Production. Paying $1600 extra to have a car no one else had would be "cool" and worth $1600.

When I converted my reservation to an order in July, there was no reason to believe that "First Edition" was anything but First Production.

Then we had the price rollbacks and the delta between the Premium AWD LR and the FE, went from $1600 to $3600. At this point I felt like I had been had.

Then last month we learned that that there were production dates for the Premium in November, for the Select in December and some FE were scheduled for Jan - mine was not - my production date is 12/7, I felt like I had been had.

Can you imagine paying a premium of $3600 and someone driving a select a month before you got your car.

The only exception will those who ordered grabber blue. But grabber blue did not appeal to me.

So to answer your question:

• If I had known the the FE was not first production: No I would never had ordered it.
  • If I had been told upfront that the FE was $3600 more than the Premium AWD LR: No I would not have ordered it.
Ford should have just called the FE "Special Edition" and be done with.

I am more than a little bit annoyed with the way Ford marketed the FE. When my FE comes in, if the price delta between it and the Premium remains $3600, my dealer with be the proud owner of a Rapid Red FE.

Darken

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Prius Prime, 2021 Mach-E Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Since my primary reason for reserving a 'First Edition' was for the Grabber Blue color I definitely would have purchased it under a different name. Still there was a bit of excitement thinking I would be one of the first to be driving the car, especially with Covid pushing things back this year.

Honestly the first edition fiasco wouldn't have bothered me as much if it could still be delivered this year (waiting a year for the tax credit sucks)....but since my FE doesn't have a chance I find myself more annoyed then I should be that there is nothing 'First' about it's production.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Since my primary reason for reserving a 'First Edition' was for the Grabber Blue color I definitely would have purchased it under a different name. Still there was a bit of excitement thinking I would be one of the first to be driving the car, especially with Covid pushing things back this year.

Honestly the first edition fiasco wouldn't have bothered me as much if it could still be delivered this year (waiting a year for the tax credit sucks)....but since my FE doesn't have a chance I find myself more annoyed then I should be that there is nothing 'First' about it's production.
As it looks like all NA and EU/UK First Editions will be produced in the first two months of production, that doesn’t seem like nothing to me.
Sponsored