What if I don't pre condition

kkgg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e
Country flag
Wondering what if I don't pre-condition the car(In cold weather)

I work from home. I do not have a regular schedule to take the car out. I live in Minnesota(cold weather). I don't care much about the range loss (I do local driving).

When I have to drive, I just sit in the car turn up the heat and drive.

Does Not pre-conditioning impacts battery longevity ?
Sponsored

Keeperofthe7keys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e Premium
Country flag
No, cold does not actually hurt the battery, it just greatly reduces efficiency along with the energy used in the heater of course reducing range.

Blackpony

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Old habits die hard. The Nissan GTR that I traded in for my GT was a performance ICE. I always let it warm at idle especially if it was cold out. I kept it that way until the oil temp came up discernably. It was my understanding that most of engine wear happened in cold oil temps. So i keep having to remind myself in my GT that there is no oil to warm. Still i wondered if it would be bad for the battery. Hooey to learn it isn't a problem (other than range). Thanks.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Wondering what if I don't pre-condition the car(In cold weather)

I work from home. I do not have a regular schedule to take the car out. I live in Minnesota(cold weather). I don't care much about the range loss (I do local driving).

When I have to drive, I just sit in the car turn up the heat and drive.

Does Not pre-conditioning impacts battery longevity ?
Ford Mustang Mach-E What if I don't pre condition 1669943046369

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Old habits die hard. The Nissan GTR that I traded in for my GT was a performance ICE. I always let it warm at idle especially if it was cold out. I kept it that way until the oil temp came up discernably. It was my understanding that most of engine wear happened in cold oil temps. So i keep having to remind myself in my GT that there is no oil to warm. Still i wondered if it would be bad for the battery. Hooey to learn it isn't a problem (other than range). Thanks.
Thereā€™s a new theory that idling to warm up is worse than just driving it. It takes a lot more time to warm up the oil idling vs just driving away and taking it easy.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
If you don't precondition the car (preheat the battery) you wonā€™t get max range for that trip. If you donā€™t need max range then preheating the battery is just wasting electricity. I drive 8 miles to workā€¦ twice a week. I would use more electricity preconditioning than I use to make the drive.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
The only potential harm to the battery when driving it without preconditioning I can think of would be if you floored it.
I would think putting a heavy strain on the battery when cold could potentially damage it over time.

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
If you don't precondition the car (preheat the battery) you wonā€™t get max range for that trip. If you donā€™t need max range then preheating the battery is just wasting electricity. I drive 8 miles to workā€¦ twice a week. I would use more electricity preconditioning than I use to make the drive.
My commute to work is about the same although I do it 5 days a week. However, it is lovely getting into a nice warm car (currently 1Ā°C here in UK) so hang the expense.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
My commute to work is about the same although I do it 5 days a week. However, it is lovely getting into a nice warm car (currently 1Ā°C here in UK) so hang the expense.
I can have a nice warm car with a 3 minute remote start. No need to waste that many kWh of electricity.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thereā€™s a new theory that idling to warm up is worse than just driving it. It takes a lot more time to warm up the oil idling vs just driving away and taking it easy.
That is what I did with ICE I sat on a frozen bench and bumped down the road slowly on square tires. The number of IC's in this vehicle along with the battery housing I would think their is no problems heating up the boards a bit before driving. It takes longer than remote start and carries out a remote start cycle in the last 15 minutes.

I would guess the algorithm of how it warms the pack on shore power is better than how I would driving it. More responsive when I get in unlike remote start. If you can hit remote start 15 minutes early might as well set up a departure schedule 2 hours early (-20C) if it is plugged to a 240V outlet. That is what I have found the best for enjoyable responsive cold weather travel. Sure you can warm them up driving it but you do not have to. Hope it gets fixed.
Sponsored