What increase for license plate fees in your state ?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Looks like there's 19 states that require vehicle inspection.

https://www.thezebra.com/insurance-news/3175/vehicle-inspections-really-safety/

Many years ago CO required it too, but they dropped it back in the 80's (IIRC) as not worthwhile.
Inspections are super annoying, particularly on newer cars when it’s just a formality. One of the most annoying parts in VT is that inspection stickers are supposed to go right under the rear view mirror. But with newer cars that have cameras there, the sticker ends up in the middle of the windshield.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Inspections are super annoying, particularly on newer cars when it’s just a formality. One of the most annoying parts in VT is that inspection stickers are supposed to go right under the rear view mirror. But with newer cars that have cameras there, the sticker ends up in the middle of the windshield.
Very annoying.

New vehicles in Hawaii get a two-year inspection. After that its annually. They honk the horn, look at the turn signals, headlight high beam and low, tire tread, anything sticking out past the wheel well flares beyond a certain amount, etc. If you have aftermarket tinted windows, they get out the little meter to tell them if they're too dark. And check our mileage. An amazingly annoying thing to do.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Very annoying.

New vehicles in Hawaii get a two-year inspection. After that its annually. They honk the horn, look at the turn signals, headlight high beam and low, tire tread, anything sticking out past the wheel well flares beyond a certain amount, etc. If you have aftermarket tinted windows, they get out the little meter to tell them if they're too dark. And check our mileage. An amazingly annoying thing to do.
It's the same in PA. Emissions and Inspection both, and it runs $50-$100. That's on top of state registration fees, where the mileage is required to be reported here.

On the other hand, annual inspections greatly lower the chances of having people driving around with missing bumpers, broken turn signals and brake lights, burnt-out headlights, and everything else. In the end, I think it's better for everyone, as annoying as it may be.

Anyway...With EVs, I think reporting your mileage to the state and having that cross-verified with insurance maybe is the way to go to avoid a flat EV registration fee.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Starting Jan 1, 2020 Ohio will raise plate fees :

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Starting next week, owners of of hybrid and electric vehicles in Ohio will owe more money when they renew their vehicle registrations.

Starting on Wednesday, Jan. 1, higher annual registration fees — $100 for standard hybrids and $200 for electric vehicles and plug-in hybrids — go into effect. That’s a substantial increase over current annual registration fees, which for passenger vehicles start at $34.50 and can run more, depending on where you live.
There was discussion about this awhile ago. I live in Ohio too . . . this $100 and $200 is in ADDITION to the regular registration fee. So for our Fusion Energi, PHEV, this year I paid $234.50 to register it. An ICE Fusion is just $34.50. They tell you this is because of the taxes for the roads, but what it really is boils down to lobbying by big oil, ALEC and the Kochs. EV friendly states give EV owners a break, Ohio punishes you.

And I will say it again for anyone that wants to tell me we need to pay our fair share for roads, I totally agree, but this is GOUGING. That Fusion Energi (because my wife has been working from home) only traveled about 6,000 miles last year. And some of that was still gas.

Anyway, I plan on writing Ohio Legislators after the first of the year. They don't like me a lot - the ones that know me because I am a public school board member who calls them out on that topic. Below is also a good article about this that I posted before:
https://www.consumerreports.org/hyb...tting-electric-vehicle-owners-with-high-fees/

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
The PA House just passed a bill to start charging hybrids and EV's more, but it hasn't passed the PA Senate... here's the whole story (https://apnews.com/article/technolo...reform-bills-9e46334660df23c617487808a9cb46cb), but key points below:

"The fee would be $75 per year for a hybrid gas-electric vehicle, $175 a year for an electric vehicle and $275 for an electric vehicle with a weight rating of more than 26,000 pounds, such as a city bus. Owners of motorcycle and neighborhood electric vehicles would pay $15 a year."

"Twenty-eight states have laws requiring a special registration fee for electric vehicles while 14 states impose a fee specifically on hybrids, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures."

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
And I will say it again for anyone that wants to tell me we need to pay our fair share for roads, I totally agree, but this is GOUGING. That Fusion Energi (because my wife has been working from home) only traveled about 6,000 miles last year. And some of that was still gas.
It's the lack of being able to index it to # of miles driven (or fuel used) that's causing that. Someone driving only 6000 miles/year is probably only buying around 180 gallons of gas, while someone driving 20,000 miles a year is probably buying around 600 gallons. Multiply that by OH's $0.385/gal gas tax and it's anywhere from $69 to $231.

But without a way to tax BEV fuel on usage, they're stuck using one "average" usage number in the middle.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
It's the lack of being able to index it to # of miles driven (or fuel used) that's causing that. Someone driving only 6000 miles/year is probably only buying around 180 gallons of gas, while someone driving 20,000 miles a year is probably buying around 600 gallons. Multiply that by OH's $0.385/gal gas tax and it's anywhere from $69 to $231.

But without a way to tax BEV fuel on usage, they're stuck using one "average" usage number in the middle.
Well . . . $200 is a lot closer to $231 than $69.

Also, Ohio offers ZERO incentive to buy an EV.
From what I can see, this year we could have gotten a tax credit in Colorado on the Fusion Energi, of $4,000. So, I would be happy with that even if I did have to pay $200 extra a year as that would pay for 20 years of that added fee.

The point is, Ohio has a possible EV truck plant in Lordstown Motors. We have a battery plant that is going to be right beside it. We offer ZERO incentives for a BEV. You have to consider the whole package.

And, I will stick to the point in the article that the discussion about the gas tax is just subterfuge for a politician to use as reasoning. This is as much the ICE industry trying to slow BEV adoption in states with friendly legislatures where they can do it. The fact that it supports infrastructure is a sidelight.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Well . . . $200 is a lot closer to $231 than $69.

Also, Ohio offers ZERO incentive to buy an EV.
From what I can see, this year we could have gotten a tax credit in Colorado on the Fusion Energi, of $4,000. So, I would be happy with that even if I did have to pay $200 extra a year as that would pay for 20 years of that added fee.

The point is, Ohio has a possible EV truck plant in Lordstown Motors. We have a battery plant that is going to be right beside it. We offer ZERO incentives for a BEV. You have to consider the whole package.

And, I will stick to the point in the article that the discussion about the gas tax is just subterfuge for a politician to use as reasoning. This is as much the ICE industry trying to slow BEV adoption in states with friendly legislatures where they can do it. The fact that it supports infrastructure is a sidelight.
Oh sure, looks like there's no question that OH isn't subsidizing EV sales like some other states are (a practice I don't particularly like, as it just means more uneven redistribution of our taxes).

But I look at that as a separate issue from trying to find a BEV counterpart to the gas tax for road funding. For the roads, it doesn't matter whether it's ICE or BEV using them.

Turns out I was a tad low on those numbers. I assumed 30 MPG avg but Google says 24.9. I've read 13,500 is approx national average for miles. 13,500 / 24.9 = 542 gallons x $0.385 = $208. So sounds like $200 is a close estimate. But as you've pointed out, using average benefits heavy users while screwing light users. Much like the rest of the fixed fees commonly included in vehicle registration fees.

NoMoShocks

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier EV, 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander GT PHEV
Occupation
Electrical product safety engineer
Country flag
Washington state charges annual $150 EV fee unless they have raised it.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Just paid the great state of Ohio $332 to register mine with a vanity plate through June of 2022. Thank you Ohio Legislature!
Sponsored