Smoothbond

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD
Country flag
Anyone have insight into what insurance group the mach-e will likely fall into? Are EVs classed differently by insurance companies and I hear that in the UK only one or two companies even provide cover.
Sponsored

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
I know when I was looking into a Model 3 last year there were plenty of insurers who were providing cover without issue. The costs however were quite high with the Teslas ending up in the higher groups due to the high-performance nature of the vehicle rather than it being because it was EV based.

The UK insurance groups go from 1 to 50 (with 1 being the least expensive, and 50 being the top end), and to give some examples...

Tesla Model 3 - Group 50
Nissan Leaf - Group 21
MG ZS EV - Group 21

Let's pray its more towards the low 20's and not in the high 40's ;)

OP
OP
Smoothbond

Smoothbond

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD
Country flag
I know when I was looking into a Model 3 last year there were plenty of insurers who were providing cover without issue. The costs however were quite high with the Teslas ending up in the higher groups due to the high-performance nature of the vehicle rather than it being because it was EV based.

The UK insurance groups go from 1 to 50 (with 1 being the least expensive, and 50 being the top end), and to give some examples...

Tesla Model 3 - Group 50
Nissan Leaf - Group 21
MG ZS EV - Group 21

Preach it brother !!!

Paulalex01

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 F-150, 2019 Miata, 2009 Element
Occupation
Retired - Electrical Engineer
Country flag

Tesla Model 3 - Group 50
Nissan Leaf - Group 21
MG ZS EV - Group 21

I read in another thread that Tesla's insurance costs are so high because of the aluminum structure and the inability to repair. True?

MerryBrown

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Escape, Red Ford Mach-E on order
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
I read in another thread that Tesla's insurance costs are so high because of the aluminum structure and the inability to repair. True?
I am an insurance agent in California. We do not notice the Tesla being much more expensive than any other vehicle. However, getting repairs done, that takes longer in our experience. Tesla has not been good about making the parts for repairs.
Sponsored