JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I know there are a couple of other threads touching on this topic, but I wanted to start one soley for these items.

(Other threads:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...eration-and-during-l2-and-dcfc-charging.3403/
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/software-bugs-features-i-want.3709/ )

Despite all the accolades the Mach-E is getting everywhere this is one common thing that the reviewers point out and many people on the Mach-E forums also point out that is missing: Power and Energy meters. I’ll be charitable here and think that their omission is simply due to time: Ford intended to put them on but ran out of time before launch readying other things (and ironing out some wrinkles). There is that token average miles/kWh display on the trip meter page so someone was thinking about it. Hopefully they will add something with one of the OTA updates.

This becomes even more glaring when you compare the Mach-E’s displays with Ford’s only other BEV: The Focus Electric. Its dash has a configurable portion that could display a myriad of options:

Ford Mustang Mach-E What is missing.. myview
Ford Mustang Mach-E What is missing.. myview2

The above displays had several areas in which you could pick the meter you wanted displayed. In addition the middle one with the blue “cup” gamified driving efficiently. That one bar chart displays a target Wh/mile (blue cup), an average Wh/mile (white tick marks), and instant Wh/mile (white line at the top).

I don’t really need to see such configurability on the Mach-E (it would be nice but isn’t necessary). My thoughts would be a simple power meter on the dash below the % charge and distance to go (navigation) on the left. This could be a simple number: +/- kW (+ during charging/regen and – while driving). In addition, the power number while charging would be nice to see on a display somewhere when the car is plugged in and “off”. (Maybe the display would only light up when the driver is close by?)

Note that even Ford’s mass market vehicle, the Escape, allows the driver to show average miles/gallon (equivalent to miles/kWh) and instant miles/gallon (equvalent to kW).

As far as energy (kWh) displays the Mach-E has none. The obvious place for this display would be to include it in the trip meters: kWh consumed since the trip meter was reset. Something the Focus Electric also had:

Ford Mustang Mach-E What is missing.. tripmeter

The omission of these items is odd when you consider that the car is called a “Mustang”. Aren’t Mustangs for gear heads? How many Mustangs have you seen with additional gauges on the A-Pillar?

Having said that: An additional card/tile would be really great to have allowing the driver to pull up a bunch of gauges:
  • Motor RPM (maybe two for AWD models)
  • Motor Temperature(s)
  • HV Battery Voltage
  • HV Battery Temperature
  • LV Battery Voltage
If a driver doesn’t want to see these they don’t have to pull them up.

Some food for thought…

(Yeah ok this is a copy of one of my blog posts..so sue me LOL)

Last edited:

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I wholeheartedly agree with this. I think the MME may be the only BEV (or even PHEV) that doesn’t show this basic energy information. I thought my Outlander PHEV was pretty spartan with the info it shows, but it has a ton more info than the MME. The fact that there’s not even a screen that shows what direction the energy is flowing in the MME is a big miss. The only way you can tell if regen is even occurring is by feel or the little brake coach after the fact. I really hope Ford is putting the finishing touches on a whole new energy monitoring screen that will be pushed out via OTA, but I haven’t seen any reference to this at all, so I wouldn’t count on it.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
I look at it like vacuum, timing advance and mixture adjustment. Nice to know concepts but on my daily just turns into hassle and an annoyance. Can probably get a guage pack that plugs into the ODB port if so inclined. ?

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I know there are a couple of other threads touching on this topic, but I wanted to start one soley for these items.

(Other threads:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...eration-and-during-l2-and-dcfc-charging.3403/
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/software-bugs-features-i-want.3709/ )

Despite all the accolades the Mach-E is getting everywhere this is one common thing that the reviewers point out and many people on the Mach-E forums also point out that is missing: Power and Energy meters. I’ll be charitable here and think that their omission is simply due to time: Ford intended to put them on but ran out of time before launch readying other things (and ironing out some wrinkles). There is that token average miles/kWh display on the trip meter page so someone was thinking about it. Hopefully they will add something with one of the OTA updates.

This becomes even more glaring when you compare the Mach-E’s displays with Ford’s only other BEV: The Focus Electric. Its dash has a configurable portion that could display a myriad of options:

The above displays had several areas in which you could pick the meter you wanted displayed. In addition the middle one with the blue “cup” gamified driving efficiently. That one bar chart displays a target Wh/mile (blue cup), an average Wh/mile (white tick marks), and instant Wh/mile (white line at the top).

I don’t really need to see such configurability on the Mach-E (it would be nice but isn’t necessary). My thoughts would be a simple power meter on the dash below the % charge and distance to go (navigation) on the left. This could be a simple number: +/- kW (+ during charging/regen and – while driving). In addition, the power number while charging would be nice to see on a display somewhere when the car is plugged in and “off”. (Maybe the display would only light up when the driver is close by?)

Note that even Ford’s mass market vehicle, the Escape, allows the driver to show average miles/gallon (equivalent to miles/kWh) and instant miles/gallon (equvalent to kW).

As far as energy (kWh) displays the Mach-E has none. The obvious place for this display would be to include it in the trip meters: kWh consumed since the trip meter was reset. Something the Focus Electric also had:

The omission of these items is odd when you consider that the car is called a “Mustang”. Aren’t Mustangs for gear heads? How many Mustangs have you seen with additional gauges on the A-Pillar?

Having said that: An additional card/tile would be really great to have allowing the driver to pull up a bunch of gauges:
  • Motor RPM (maybe two for AWD models)
  • Motor Temperature(s)
  • HV Battery Voltage
  • HV Battery Temperature
  • LV Battery Voltage
If a driver doesn’t want to see these they don’t have to pull them up.

Some food for thought…

(Yeah ok this is a copy of one of my blog posts..so sue me LOL)
? YES to all of this. Hopefully Ford will step up with OTA to give us the data some of us crave.

Rabidsquirrel22

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Camaro SS, 2021 GTPE
Country flag
Completely agreed, this would be valuable info to have, especially for learning how to drive more efficiently. Posts like this are how we get their attention that we want these features, so keep it up!

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
The RPM's would be fun to see but I'd rather have instant power in/out of the motor/battery.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I’d like to see oil temperature and pressure please!
And could we also get a low blinker fluid level indicator? I always run out at inconvenient times ?
Sponsored