What is the best regen mode of driving ?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I just tried it again. There is definite drag in mine. Anything above 30 mph noticeable esp if there is up down terrain changes. It may not be registering or getting back to battery but definite drag. Get to a decline get the car free wheeling down then switch between neutral and drive. See if that shows detectable drag.

EVs are not ICE and driving in neutral in EV is not dumb. There is no physical linkage between the wheel and chassis and all EVs technically will coast in 'neutral`. Been driving that way for 20+ years in EVs no issues.
Interesting how our two cars behave differently. I have seen stuff like this before. There are so many different calibration codes so all cars might not behave the exact same way.

I tried it again at all speeds. Zero regen in Whisper D (1PD off) in my car. I can go back and forth between N and D and no difference between the two.
Sponsored

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Interesting how our two cars behave differently. I have seen stuff like this before. There are so many different calibration codes so all cars might not behave the exact same way.

I tried it again at all speeds. Zero regen in Whisper D (1PD off) in my car. I can go back and forth between N and D and no difference between the two.
My understanding was also in line with yours regarding regen (or the lack of it) in Whisper.

But @theo1000 said something interesting, that the regen seems to vary based on terrain according to his experience. There is this road near my house, it is relatively flat or maybe a gentle descent until you reach this one part where it all of a sudden drops very steeply, kind of like a roller coaster. Typically, when I am driving towards this drop, I will be in Engage and coasting (not pressing the accelerator or the brake).

A second or two into that steep descent, I always feel a change, like the car detects it is suddenly going very steeply downfall or perhaps detects it is suddenly accelerating while coasting and seems to apply greater regen. It's not linear, I definitely feel regen activate to a greater degree all of a sudden with no input from me. I wonder if Whisper might do something similar, even if on flat roads it is generally 0 regen?

What do you use to see such stats, I'd be kind of interested to have this device generally, and try it on this road specifically.

JSeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Select
Country flag
I cruise in Whisper at 50-57 mph and have averaged 3.7 M/KWh in 6000 miles of daily 88 mile RT commute.
Sponsored